RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #1

Homemade Sliding Cargo Tray

Trying to save a few dollars. Ran me $70 to make this with the primary goal of keeping my bikes in the basenent.

A 36" Luan door (don't put your knee on it unless you want to patch the hole). Two wheels on the bottom, side boards to hold things in, and 4 tie down anchors to attach bungee cords to.

Still need flip out feet on the end I pull out to keep it level, and think of screwing wheels to to floor of the basement to ease sliding out as the outer edge glides over it. Currently I lift up on the rope handle to get the door over the lip. As pictured there are 2 bikes on it. The MM basement opening is tight, but with 3 of 4 wheels removed I add them on top when it has been slid back in.

If I break through the thin door skin again I'll run another piece of pegboard over the top.

I cut the door short at 64" and made plugs I glued in between the skins to give it it's strength back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0803181914.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	213779   Click image for larger version

Name:	0803181638.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	213780  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0803181643.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	213781   Click image for larger version

Name:	0803181642a.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	213782  

MarkK is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I really like your idea. Slides on both sides make getting stuff out a head banger EVERY time.
Would be nice to find some drawer slides that makes this project better by coming out both ways, but that will add cost.
Maybe a 1/4 or 3/8 plywood would be stronger but add weight.
Just know I'm NOT going to spend 750-1000 on a commercially made one.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I really like your idea. Slides on both sides make getting stuff out a head banger EVERY time.
Would be nice to find some drawer slides that makes this project better by coming out both ways, but that will add cost.
Maybe a 1/4 or 3/8 plywood would be stronger but add weight.
Just know I'm NOT going to spend 750-1000 on a commercially made one.
This particular bay was not a full pass through to the other side, but even if it would have been 2 of these would still work on either side and just bump up against each other in the middle of the bay.

I looked around for drawer slodes but they are expensive, and would still need framing to attach to.

Added weight is relative as you aren't picking the entire slide and contents up when lifting on the one side, but still a factor for sure.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #4

I built a slide for my one and only storage compartment of my Toy Hauler. It doesn't go all the way through to the other side, as that is where the Onan generator sits. In this pic you can see the smallish storage compartment door all the way up front on the curb side of the T.H.....

This one of course is the slide unit. It is contained from side to side travel with a couple of pieces of Unistrut and a piece of 3/4" aluminum square tubing. Under it, there are three sets of rollers mounted to the floor of the trailer compartment....and of course a locking pin to keep everything where it is supposed to be during travel......

xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I built a slide for my one and only storage compartment of my Toy Hauler. It doesn't go all the way through to the other side, as that is where the Onan generator sits. In this pic you can see the smallish storage compartment door all the way up front on the curb side of the T.H.....

This one of course is the slide unit. It is contained from side to side travel with a couple of pieces of Unistrut and a piece of 3/4" aluminum square tubing. Under it, there are three sets of rollers mounted to the floor of the trailer compartment....and of course a locking pin to keep everything where it is supposed to be during travel......

Nice work. About how much were the materials and was sourcing them a problem?
Old 08-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
Nice work. About how much were the materials and was sourcing them a problem?
Thank you.....it was a bit of a project for sure....lots of time, but I did it during the winter months when we couldn't camp anyway. Most everything was available locally.....Home Depot....Lowes type places. The thing that I did have to buy online was the rollers that are under the slider tray. I needed a specific height in order for the tray to clear the lip of the door opening...AND to maximize that door opening. I basically did a google search until I found what I needed.....capacity wise and height wise. I've probably got around $125 in it and I'll be honest, it doesn't slide in and out like something on ball bearings, but then again, I'm not sliding it in and out 6-8 times a day either.

xrated is offline   Reply With Quote