Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #43

The price is too high for us. We built a 1800 ft2 house with a 2 car garage and an RV garage for just under $300K. That is as much as we want to put into a house. I think people that have RVs and travel a lot may not want a house that large or that expensive.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
From my perspective way too much house, too much of a lot and at a price that is beyond what I could even consider. As I get older the next place I would be looking for is probably two bedrooms. No more than 1500 to 1750 sq ft of living space and a lot no larger than maybe 5 times the total footprint of the house. I'll be downsizing not up sizing and looking for something to act as a home base to comfortably live between trips with low maintenance costs when we're gone. I want less house to clean, heat and cool. I want less yard to have to manage and I don't want to go deep into debt to do it. Add an HOA in on the deal adds another down check.

But this is just my thoughts.
I like that idea! Myself, especially after living in Calif. Regards

Old 02-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
We would definitely want the RV garage. Our current home is 3500 sq. ft with a 26x 50' rv garage. I think going down toa 2000 ft house with the RV sounds about right. When I retire I will definitely look outside of the state of Calif. regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	153423  
Old 02-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is also The Great Outdoors on the east coast in FL. They have a variety of types of homes. From patio homes, luxury homes with RV Garages, RV Ports with executive suites, park models, standard RV lots. About 1600 individual lots. they have their own golf course and other amenities on site.

Florida RV Resorts | Central Florida RV & Golf Resort - The Great Outdoors
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
There is also The Great Outdoors on the east coast in FL. They have a variety of types of homes. From patio homes, luxury homes with RV Garages, RV Ports with executive suites, park models, standard RV lots. About 1600 individual lots. they have their own golf course and other amenities on site.

Florida RV Resorts | Central Florida RV & Golf Resort - The Great Outdoors
Very cool looking area with reasonable prices! I just wish DW would be open to move to Florida. Regards
Old 03-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
Could you share what the costs were?
Ours was expensive and probably not relevant to the discussion. Ours is built on a significant slope so had to be built up to be level. The back end floor level is about 8-10 feet above ground. It also had to be made to look like our house next door with architectural details and the same finish. A 50 x 20 garage with an 18 x 14 foot door, 50 amp, water and two sewer ports cost about 200K. But I also priced a steel building (same size) at about 60K plus land, grading and slab. Would have had to do that in the next town over.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Think vertically rather than horizontally. The house I designed for us has a first floor garage that happens to be 16' high with an elevator to the second floor. The height can handle lifts for car geeks, storage, etc--and of course an RV! House living quarters are on the second floor.

Garage doors are on the side of the house, so not visible from street. Architecturally it looks pretty much like any other house.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #50

The idea of a large home to maintain during retirement is unappealing, especially so given our intention to be out enjoying our RV most of the year.

My interest is in a smaller 2 bedroom home in a community where climate collapse and extreme weather will pose minimal threats.

My thinking was to start with a pad and electrical service, and roof which also allows for future completion as a fully enclosed garage.

Just my opinion... Las Vegas and its lifestyle have zero appeal to me.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schake View Post
The idea of a large home to maintain during retirement is unappealing, especially so given our intention to be out enjoying our RV most of the year.

My interest is in a smaller 2 bedroom home in a community where climate collapse and extreme weather will pose minimal threats.

My thinking was to start with a pad and electrical service, and roof which also allows for future completion as a fully enclosed garage.
When you start looking, you are probably going to run into the same challenges we did. Although it's not too hard to find property without an HOA, most property is stuck with deed restrictions which may keep you from doing what you want to do. Almost all the raw land we looked at had restrictions that had minimum house size, maximum shop/garage size, restriction against living in RV on property, statements that said shop/garage cannot be built before house, etc.

We are in the middle of our purchase process right now, survey is taking place today. If I'm exaggerating, it is only by two weeks - it took us a year to find property where we could live in the RV while the house was being built. Some of the properties we found would allow RV for a limited time, for example 6 months during building process, but most restricted against it altogether.

This order of events has been our plan all along. Sell the house, and use the equity to build our new house, so we will be 100% debt-free. It just has been a lot harder to accomplish this order than I thought it would be.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #52

There are quite a few of these communities in the Phoenix metro area.

Here's just one.

Arizona RV Homes is Valley View @ Sunrise Hills - Custom Built Arizona Houses with Large RV Garges
Old 03-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
When we were looking at houses here, we decided to not get a RV home as we realized that we could pay for monthly storage at $140.00 month for something like 30-40 years for what the RV garage would add to the cost of the house. After being here for 4 years, we've decided we'd like a RV garage for the convenience of loading/unloading and tinkering. So, it's a trade off.
During the RVing season here (NE. OH.) the RV trailer is parked in the driveway where I'm always tinkering. When we used to pay to store the RV 2-3 miles away, it made for doing back to back weekend trips or a weekend trip followed by a week long trip not cost effective as far as paying storage fees, and not keeping it in storage.

Being retired, if we ever move, it will be to a location where I have plenty of room to store the RV on site. Either on a paved parking pad, overhead covered structure or a out building.

In the last 4-5 years I have looked at maybe 15-20 homes, where only one of the them truly had a ideal spot for the RV. Too bad the home had such a bad floorplan...
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Being retired, if we ever move, it will be to a location where I have plenty of room to store the RV on site. Either on a paved parking pad, overhead covered structure or a out building.

In the last 4-5 years I have looked at maybe 15-20 homes, where only one of the them truly had a ideal spot for the RV. Too bad the home had such a bad floorplan...
Our house is about to go up for sale, and it has a dedicated RV pad with 50a, water, and sewer, and our home's floor plan is fantastic. It's also on 1.25 acres.

Of course I'm kidding, I'm not trying to sell you our house, but we love the fact our RV is right here, and can even be used as a guest house since it's fully hooked up.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
From my perspective way too much house, too much of a lot and at a price that is beyond what I could even consider. As I get older the next place I would be looking for is probably two bedrooms. No more than 1500 to 1750 sq ft of living space and a lot no larger than maybe 5 times the total footprint of the house. I'll be downsizing not up sizing and looking for something to act as a home base to comfortably live between trips with low maintenance costs when we're gone. I want less house to clean, heat and cool. I want less yard to have to manage and I don't want to go deep into debt to do it. Add an HOA in on the deal adds another down check.

But this is just my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Add us to the list of people looking to downsize. We are looking at building a RV Port Home with the RV garage in the middle, 2 car garage on one side, and a 1,000 to 1,200 sf home on the other side.

Tired of having a big house and the maintenance that it and the yard require. Tired of HOA fees and all the crap that goes with them.

We did downsize, we had a polebarn house built, about 1500 sq ft with a 40'X48' garage, luckily my wife thinks like I do and likes a big garage.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would like to sell my 2500 Sq ft home and buy into a gated community for RV owners where you could build a Casita. Say 600 Sq ft. I used to build multi family dwellings for a living. The community sould have a pool, fitness room and club house. There is a place in Apple Valley, CA at Del Webb. You would be amazed what you could do in that small space. One unit I used to build was 868 sq. ft. 2 bedroom, bath and a half, living rm and kitchen/ dining room + attached single car garage. There is a place in Apple Valley, CA at Del Webb. When your retired you want to downsize to cut expensives. What the op is wanting to do is too big and expensive for me.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome