Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The idea of getting a casita with a RV garage appealed to me ever since I saw ads for them in Motorhome magazine two years ago.

The ads were for Superstition Views Homes in Arizona for $99,900 for a casita + carport + RV pad & hook-ups. After seeing prices many here quoted, it looks like I should have jumped on the below-$100K homes.

A HOA would be a deal-breaker for me as well. A 55+ community is no problem as I am over 60 and single (with a cat).

Someone mentioned that some of these kinds of places require Class A RVs. That would not be something I'd be interested in as I really don't desire a Class A, I am quite satisfied with my two-year-old Class C. Is this common with these kinds of places?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #86

This is a great hidden MH garage, but I wish the videographer would have put the name of the garage door in comments!

Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #87

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
We are headed down to Fort Mojave tomorrow to look at other models there. I will report back as soon as I can. The consensus is that there is high demand for this type of product, not necessarily at that price point but, nonetheless, the desire to have the old girl close to the house is unmistakably clear. It appears that Nationwide, the desire is there. As this thread grows, I have become more anxious than ever to accomplish this goal. Please post pictures of your RV home and let me know what you like about it and what you would do differently.
I'll be interested to hear what you think of Arizona RV Homes in Fort Mojave. We nearly bought there last year -- loved the concept, and the way they are building, but in the end found another way we liked better. Our main concerns there were the location (out on the fringes of the Laughlin/Bullhead City area, and you have to drive by some pretty run-down stuff to get to your brand-new neighborhood), and ironically the fact that virtually everyone there will be an RVer. That's great while you're living there, but our concern is resale somewhere down the road -- it's hard to picture anyone but another RVer being interested in the house, and that narrows the resale market by a lot.

In the end, we started looking at homes with RV garages in developments that were not exclusively RV-centric, and found a number in the Bullhead City area, which we liked. We ended up in a gated community, in which many of the new homes being built have RV garages, though some owners just get them for boats and other toys. We like the 24/7 security of the gated community, since we won't be here year-round. The cost was significantly more than we initially intended (though nowhere near what your Vegas contact is selling for), but we felt like it was a better investment in the long run.
Crabby Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:47 PM   #88

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, we went to AZ today to visit the Arizona RV homes in Fort Mojave. I must say that I was impressed. The area is growing fast. They have a Walmart and Sam's club coming. They also now have a large hospital. The temp there was beautiful and the neighborhood was quiet. Most everyone was in shorts. We had a chance to talk to some of the residents and they seemed happy there.

The prices there are $239,000 for the basic model which was a two bedroom 1 and 1 half bath with a 54 foot garage. The outside of the home still looked like a fire station from the front, but my DW didn't mind it so much. She was more concerned about the inside of the home, which she liked. The lots were 75 by 127 which is a big lot and many of the homeowners made their garage bigger than the basic model. Some had 80 foot garages. For the price, it was a really good deal. The garage had everything you could need for the MH. In fact it could be said that the homes had 3 bedrooms, two in the house and one in the garage.(Inside the MH) The construction was very good and the owner took me around and showed me the 2 by 6 outside wall construction and insulation quality. By the way they only have 6 left in the subdivision and the next subdivision will have a price increase.

I talked to the owner about building in Las Vegas. He was interested in doing so provided the lot would pencil. I also mentioned the garage door (showed him the video of the ones you posted on the forum here) and he seemed to like the idea. It is a must for me. If you get a chance to go to Fort Mojave, talk to Kevin and tell them that you saw my post. I think it would be worth your time and if nothing else, to take what you have learned to your own community.

The people who had the 54 foot garage want a bigger garage. And the people who had the 1200 square foot home wanted a bigger home. It was reminiscent of "I want a bigger boat", syndrome.

The distance to the community is to far for me and the DW because we have kids in Reno but for some who do a lot of traveling and want to get out of the snow, this was a real good deal. I am not ruling it out, but for right now I think I would rather be in Vegas or Reno. It would take me two days to drive the MH to Reno from Ft Mojave. 10.5 hours of driving is a bit much for one day. Otherwise I liked it.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #89

I believe there is a much better way. Build the house with a basement. The extra dirt from the basement should be used to grade the front yard on a slope down to the street. The drive for the RV should be level from the street. This way the garage door and surrounding structure matches the height of the rest of the house. The full height of the door is only seen from straight on. The car drive would slope up hill to the level of the house. not only that, but if designed correctly, you can pull the motorhome out of the garage part way for loading. Your car driveway can match the height of the entrance, so you step directly off the drive into the coach, without going up any step.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:39 AM   #90

We currently live in a neighborhood similar to what you are proposing, in the Phoenix AZ area. We are on 2/3 acre have a 4,300 sq ft house, with 3 car garage and the option of an RV garage. We don't have ours built yet, but we plan on it soon! But, hardly anyone in our hood even owns an RV, we have approx 35 homes here, and we are probably 1 out of 5 RV owners! So I think it would be hard to keep it 'similar minded' people. The current price of our homes here, wth RV garages is about $450K. We stole ours for $295k a couple of years ago and now (without an RV garage) it's now running around $420k, per our last appraisal.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:37 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindFreedom View Post
We currently live in a neighborhood similar to what you are proposing, in the Phoenix AZ area. We are on 2/3 acre have a 4,300 sq ft house, with 3 car garage and the option of an RV garage. We don't have ours built yet, but we plan on it soon! But, hardly anyone in our hood even owns an RV, we have approx 35 homes here, and we are probably 1 out of 5 RV owners! So I think it would be hard to keep it 'similar minded' people. The current price of our homes here, wth RV garages is about $450K. We stole ours for $295k a couple of years ago and now (without an RV garage) it's now running around $420k, per our last appraisal.
A 4300 sq ft house is at least 3 times more house than I would ever want.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
What is the standard size for an RV garage door? We did a lot of research yesterday and I think it is 12' wide by 14' tall, but I'd like to hear from someone who has built one or talked to a builder.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #93

Monaco Owners Club
12x14 is the door the two home builders I looked at in the past had installed as standard . Certainly many folks do Build with smaller doors because the rig they have at the time is smaller and they don't want the added expense to raise the building to fit the door . 14' tall is the max legal hwy height ( without permitting ) for example standard semi trailers are 13'6 14' would cover any possible future rv purchase.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #94

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
What is the standard size for an RV garage door? We did a lot of research yesterday and I think it is 12' wide by 14' tall, but I'd like to hear from someone who has built one or talked to a builder.
In the Bullhead City area it seems to be 14x14, based on what I've seen. In Delaware, my other RV garage door is 12' wide by 14' tall, which gives me maybe a foot of mirror clearance on each side, which is OK. Bear in mind that you'll want the inside of your garage to be at least 16' wide (preferably more), so you can put slides out, open bay doors, etc., and still have room to walk past. So why not spend a couple more bucks and get the 14x14 door?

And speaking of doors, though I appreciate the OP's quest for an RV garage door that looks like something else, that just doesn't rank high on my "gotta-have" list. Both of my RV garages (and yes I realize how that sounds) are set well back from the front of their house, such that they aren't part of the front profile of the house. That leaves room to park an RV in front of the garage if needed, at the cost of taking up some backyard space. One is part of the house, the other is detached, but built to match its house. I'm more proud than ashamed of how they look, and feel no need to disguise them.
Crabby Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukerdr View Post
This is a great hidden MH garage, but I wish the videographer would have put the name of the garage door in comments!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #96

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Actually I think the garage door is a standard 14'w X 8'h door on an extra long track. What's special is the upper wall section that can tilt up once the door is all the way up. It's not that hard to design.
I agree with you. If you listen to the sound of the upper door, it sounds like it is on a simple garage door opener as well. This could only cost a few thousand dollars more that a regular door, but the esthetics is priceless. You could use a lockout to make sure that the top door had to be down before the regular door was able to be closed. Conversely, you could lock out the upper door from actuation until the lower door was fully retracted. That is an easy circuit.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Our last garage had a 12 x 14 door. The 12 width was limiting in terms of being able to adjust your direction in during the pull in or out. I just built a new garage and put in a 18 x 14 door. It may be overkill but it is a real pleasure to use. I would not suggest anything smaller than 14 x 14.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:58 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
A 4300 sq ft house is at least 3 times more house than I would ever want.
Well I think having the movie/media room was the deciding factor for my hubby! We still have a child at home, and just found out the college kid is moving back in August, so we need room to roam! I look forward to the childfree days and less home to clean! But for now.....

Tags
motorhome