Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #57
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I just wish there were more of these communities in the east (NC, SC, TN, VA). I don't want FL nor AZ or CA. I want 4 seasons, but want winter not to be as long or harsh as it is in OH. The one(s) in that area are few/far between & getting WAY too expensive.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I just wish there were more of these communities in the east (NC, SC, TN, VA). I don't want FL nor AZ or CA. I want 4 seasons, but want winter not to be as long or harsh as it is in OH. The one(s) in that area are few/far between & getting WAY too expensive.

Lori-
Thanks Lori for your response. I am starting to get a good idea of what people want in a home with a MH garage. The question for me as I read these posts was, why can't we change the building codes and have the garage built first and move the MH into it and live in it while you build. You would have to have some way to make sure that the home was in fact built at some point or you might have some angry neighbors. It appears that most people want a small house and a large garage and downsize when they retire. Is there a contractor out there that has built in other areas of the country who has some experience in this area? I would love to talk to them. By the number of post and by the number of people looking at this thread it is clear there is a real need for this type of project. And yes, maybe not as big of a home. One final comment. I didn't see too many remarks about the garage door and how it looks on the house. Is it a concern?
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #59
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
...I didn't see too many remarks about the garage door and how it looks on the house. Is it a concern?
If one wants an RV garage attached to a dwelling, it's going to be the elephant in the layout (pun intended). You can't camouflage something with a 14ft door. Unlike regular homes which can have the garage turned to a side entry with windows on the streetside to make it more visually pleasing, you can't turn an RV garage sideways....at least not on a standard RV community lot.

I'd think, as long as the door is architecturally attractive, it would not make much difference.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
There are quite a few of these communities in the Phoenix metro area.

Here's just one.

Arizona RV Homes is Valley View @ Sunrise Hills - Custom Built Arizona Houses with Large RV Garges

This website is for homes with RV garages in Ft Mohave, near Laughlin, NV as mentioned in another post in this thread. Homes are approx 800-1800+ sq ft with RV garages starting at 22x52 ft with full hookups in garage and a pad with full hookups outside. Prices approx 175-250k.
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandl2 View Post
This website is for homes with RV garages in Ft Mohave, near Laughlin, NV as mentioned in another post in this thread. Homes are approx 800-1800+ sq ft with RV garages starting at 22x52 ft with full hookups in garage and a pad with full hookups outside. Prices approx 175-250k.
We are actually going down to see them tomorrow. I will let you know.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Homes with motorhome garages. What would you do?

We toured Arizona rv homes a few months ago .. the quality of the inside construction was excellent granite counters tile floors large tile showers and baths with covered front porches and rear patios. Interior of garage was finished fully with led lighting .. pre prepared for a swamp cooler very nice.
the garage of course took up the entire side of the house with the tile roof sloping down shed like to form the small home. But was very attractive complete interior hookups and a concrete pad with full hookups beside the garage for a quest 4' block wall around the back and sides typical of the sw
My opinion was it great , but location is to far from Laughlin in the outskirts of ft Mohave. I want services closer as I get older. Laughlin ITSELF is a long drive from "anywhere" ( vegas) and somewhat still has the dying town flavor with empty businesses all over the place mixed with new construction especially on the drive out to ft Mohave from Bullhead City
Not a " real take the grandkids" or want to come visit location. Something high our (DW) list
The homes were actually just the right size. If I had my own lot I might build something similar. Don't know where you could put a attached garage without it being prominent .. but that's ok. We don't feel that's a problem. We don't want a large home , we have the motorhome for a reason , and want to travel most of the time . It's a home base in the winter and a place to land when we can travel no more and wind down our lives . ( thus the importance of close services and no maintenance issues) 150-200 grand is about where we would want to be. Most of the home plans there are in the mid 200s . Your plan for half million up has no appeal to us , way too much house ! I already have that house and want to sell it so I can travel more. Good luck I hope you can find the market that fits LasVegas. It might just be that bigger house.. who knows ! Arizona rv homes appears to have had big plans but they are moving slowly in my impression. Probably hard to make Money on a lower price point like that.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schake View Post

Just my opinion... Las Vegas and its lifestyle have zero appeal to me.
Just so you know, both Elvis and Jesus live here in Las Vegas.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If one wants an RV garage attached to a dwelling, it's going to be the elephant in the layout (pun intended). You can't camouflage something with a 14ft door. Unlike regular homes which can have the garage turned to a side entry with windows on the streetside to make it more visually pleasing, you can't turn an RV garage sideways....at least not on a standard RV community lot.

I'd think, as long as the door is architecturally attractive, it would not make much difference.

Lori-

There are plenty of ways to camouflage the garage door. Here is one;
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0981.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	153610
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0982.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	153611  
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #65

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
There are plenty of ways to camouflage the garage door. Here is one;
Attachment 153610
Any idea what the cost difference would be for that type of garage door?
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #66

That's door is so cool :-)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Any idea what the cost difference would be for that type of garage door?

Haven't got that far yet, just been researching ways to make the door not stand out. The company is Schweiss doors. Here's another cool one.

[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0983.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	153656  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #68

Forest River Owners Club
Thank you for posting this information. We are still working on our plans and I found one of those builds that very closely matches what we are doing, style wise.
https://www.bifold.com/photo-of-the-day-tavares.php
Old 03-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

This is the style of RV home we are looking at. We would want a 2 car garage instead of one and a little bigger living area.
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0985.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	153659  
Old 03-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #70

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
A Home with a hidden motorhome garage.... What would you do?

I have my MH stored in a hangar at the airport. It is a pain to have to go over to the airport with the toad, hook everything up, only to drive it back to the house and disconnect the toad, so I can get the MH in the driveway. Then, the DW stocks the MH and we are off on another trip.

When we return from our journey, we go to the house, unload our belongings and then take everything back to the hangar at the airport.

If something breaks, (which happens a lot), then I have to drive to the airport to fix it. Then drive back. Arrrgggg.

I believe that most guys want a large garage with a small house attached and the DWs want a large house with a small garage attached and that started me thinking.

I own some acreage in Las Vegas, and I thought I would approach a contractor to do a joint venture. These people are very reputable and have offices all around the country.
I thought that a development where all of the homes would be exclusively built for motorhome owners or RVers would satisfy the MH owners. I was thinking that the culture of MH owners would blossom in an exclusive community of owners.

The entire neighborhood would be of like mind (RV owners). The entire community would benefit because the owners would be able to share their fixit help with one another as well as share their trip adventures. But the biggest hang-up regarding building a home with a motorhome garage is garage door on the front of the home looks really ugly, and it looks like a warehouse with a home stuck on the back. My DW didn’t like the idea of looking at a 14 foot by 20 feet wide garage door on the other side of the street from her house. Yes that big ugly garage door on the front of the house. This is not what the DWs want. I suggest that we make the RV door look like it was part of the house so you couldn’t tell where the garage started and the house stopped. My DW and I talked extensively about possible designs of a door that would look like part of the home.

After the talking about it, we were jazzed and we went over to an existing development in Las Vegas with 6 models in their development. One of the homes was a home with a large 42 foot deep MH garage and it was 20 feet wide and 14 feet high. The realtor at the sales office said the RV home was by far, their best seller and it only had two bedrooms. It looks like the demand is high. But the high, wide door isn’t in demand.

There is also a community in Fort Mojave, AZ that has exclusive MH owners. I called them and they said it was a slow go from the start, but now in their first phase of 77 units, they have only 6 left.

We were thinking, the homes to be built should be between 2500 and 4200 square feet and would sit on a 1/3 acre to a ½ acre. Or you tell me how big. The garage should have a 50 amp hookup. The garage should be 50 feet deep and 20 feet wide with a 14 foot clear opening. They should be 3 to 5 bedrooms and have a large open space for the kitchen, living room, dining room, and family room all together. I have enclosed a sample elevation I had drafted. We are planning to build only 8 or 10 in a large cul-de-sac.

So, here are my questions: Would you want one of these homes, if one was available in your community? If the homes cost between $490,000 to $850,000, would you think that would be affordable? If not, what do you think is affordable for this model? How many square feet would you want in living space? How many bedrooms? Would you want the cleanout inside or outside the garage? Would you want an area next to the garage to park the MH with a water spigot, so you could wash your MH at home? What else would you add? Would you want a builder in your area to build a community like this one?

I would really like some feedback, as I am considering doing this project with this contractor. I know that most of you do not live in the Las Vegas area and I realize that any feedback, large or small, would be huge favor to me. So, thank you in advance for your feedback. This may be the start of something really big.

The home on this picture has a MH garage and a 3 car garage on the other side.
I would love to buy a home like that, but not in Vegas. For family reasons we must live in South Florida. I suspect many people have similar constraints. And I don't think it is too large. I like lots of space. 2500 sqft would suite me well.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome