Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thumbs up Honda VS RV Generac fuel usage

Last year I posted “Nifty way to run a Honda or Yamaha inverter Generator from your motor home”. I now know what the comparison is for the fuel usage.

If we are dry camping we just run the Honda all day and only run the RV Genny if we need AC. If we ran the RV Genny all day it would cost me $26. If we run the Honda all day it would cost us under $5. That’s 7.5 Gal for the RV Genny and 1.36 Gal if we run the Honda. The Honda will power everything else (refrigerator, Microwave TVs etc.) And of course I am running the Honda off the RV fuel tank.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/nift...me-206655.html
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
How do you plug it in to the RV power supply?
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
I have a Honda 2K that I just plug in the shore power. I have a 50A to 110V adapter that I plug into the Honda. I do this at the track at times in the evening (during the day I use my Honda for tire warmers)
sheepofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Depends on the generator, of course. I can run my QD7500 for ~370 hours @2k watts before I break even on the cost of a 2kwatt Honda. I have an ES6500 that will run 6-7 hours on 4.5 gallons, about the same as the QD7500.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #5

I use a 2K Honda as well. I didn't do it for the money savings in fuel, but for the noise reduction. My solar panels take care of the electrical needs during the day, but there is nothing worse than dry camping in the desert and having to listen to a loud 10 KW generator running to build up the batteries for the night. I set the Honda off under a tree and let it run. If the wind is right, we don't hear it at all, just the coyotes.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Alpha99,
Like 'sheepofblue', I plug a 50A to 110V adapter into the Honda. If I need to use the AC, I unplug the Honda and use the onboard Gen.

Like 'crasher' said, the INVERTER generators are so quiet, you can hardly hear them running in eco mode. Also when running the Honda, we are not using propane to power the refrigerator.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
Alpha99,
Like 'sheepofblue', I plug a 50A to 110V adapter into the Honda. If I need to use the AC, I unplug the Honda and use the onboard Gen.

Like 'crasher' said, the INVERTER generators are so quiet, you can hardly hear them running in eco mode. Also when running the Honda, we are not using propane to power the refrigerator.
I took it a step further. I installed a 45 amp smart charger that is plugged into the Honda. It then charges the batteries. The on board inverter supplies power to everything except the AC and the cook top. This way, I can never overload the 2KW Honda. If I need the cook top or the AC, I can start the 10K diesel generator without shutting the Honda down. They are completely separate from each other. If the MH is not in use and everything is shut down, the solar panels keep all eight batteries charged. Or, I can just plug the smart charger into 110 if no sun is available.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #8

Crasher.. that's a great idea. Not only for what you said.. but would also mean the Honda would not go up/down every time you turn something else on. Just a nice, quiet, steady rumble. Thanks for the tip!
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, honda