Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know I will get flak for this but we believe Lazydays in Tampa tries hard. Yes, they are so big they get overwhelmed with too many things happening at once, but our experience is they are certified with any repair, coach or chassis, and have been very good to us with a leased hurricane trailer and two motorhome said from them.
All our repairs from them have been done correctly for us.

krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
I know I will get flak for this but we believe Lazydays in Tampa tries hard. Yes, they are so big they get overwhelmed with too many things happening at once, but our experience is they are certified with any repair, coach or chassis, and have been very good to us with a leased hurricane trailer and two motorhome said from them.

I'll agree with you.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post

I will ditto the comments. I do believe that LazyDays does a good job.

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Old 04-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Don't know where you live, but we bought from Tom Lindstrom in Moorpark California. He is the most honest Owner/Dealer I have ever met. He contracts all his repair work to Coast RV in Augora Hills, and they do a great job. If you are looking for a new MH he only sells Newmar, and what ever used ones he takes in on trade.

X2 👍👍 re: Tom Lindstrom

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (on order), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox
Old 04-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Lots of good information in the responses. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-25-2015, 10:45 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought our Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH at Demontronde in Houston, TX. Great experience from a sales perspective. Not so strong in the service department - they have no concept of scheduling, or keeping time commitments.
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
LazyDays for me and 4 friends have done very well, sales and service wise. Another friend in Houston goes ballistic when you mention Demontrond RV concerning service.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
First, you gotta know the game.

Darren Bideoux in Ogden Utah. Our salesman was Jeff, but they are all great people. We bought a 06DP w 15K miles, a repo they had on their lot, been there for almost a year and was going into it's second winter. It has a mid-entry door, which we really like, but is not very faddish right now. Very nice rig, not very abused but very neglected. We took it to the Alison dealer to have the Cat engine and Alison tranny evaluated on our $$; they said eng and tranny were fine, but neglected; no leaks, no excessive blowby, no water in the oils, no burnt oils, etc -- $250 but the best money you'll ever spend. Asking $90K, we offered $52K, they accepted three days later, no counter. We added a bumper to bumper, $0 deductible 5-year warrenty for $5700 as advised by our man Jeff due to the neglect, made good sense to me.

We went in with alot of knowledge, showed good interest like we were not wasting their time, and it helps keep every thing on the up and up. That being said, Jeff and the Bideoux team are really a great bunch of people; knowledgeable and helpful without being pushy, and yes, quite honest. THey were a bit pushy on the warrenty, but after I thought about it, a warrenty on a neglected DP is not a bad plan, and bumper to bumper 0 deductible 5-yr for 5700 is not a bad deal. We have used the warrenty once, for a slide that got out of alignment, a funace sail switch that quit sailing and a GFI that went out and took out all the downstream 120 outlets, most of whicch I could have fixed myself given alot of time. DB charges $115/hr so I figure we're about 400 into getting back that 5700 (7%) after a few months. We love that warrenty for the peace of mind it offers. THe Bideoux team likes the warrenty too, even tho' we can take the rig anywhaere for service under the warrenty, and CW is only blocks away from our home, we schedule and take it to Darren Bideoux about 20 miles away, dragging the blazer to get home, we like these folks.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
There are lots of good, honest dealers out there. There are a few that give the others a bad name. You hear more about the bad ones than the good ones.
Working with a dealer is a lot about personal relationships. Reasonable people will go farther than ones who are anal and demanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakimaman View Post
Honest RV dealer? In my experience that term is an oxymoron.
Yakimaman
Me thinks Gordon got it backwards.
In my experiance I have found that there are only a few good, honest dealers out there... and that most dealers give all dealers a bad name.
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles
Old 04-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #24

They are only lying if their mouth is moving. No truer words have ever been spoken. Living the lie...
Old 04-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
We were treated very well At Lazy Days. We used Brant Graves and we believe he was honest with us. Do your research before you shop!
The service dept is overwhelmed at certain times and you just have to plan on a long stay but they are competent.You must stay on your service advisor or they run people in ahead of you.

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #26

We had a good experience buying a used coach from a specific salesman that I went to for help in the search for our current coach. I posted for input on a few boards, and two or three names were consistently recommended. I ended up contacting and then meeting with Steve Wilson. He works for Holland Motor Homes, then in San Diego area, but recently moved a bit North to the San Marcos area of Southern California.

He got my list of preferred makes/models and years, and was able to help me find our current coach.

As part of the purchase of this coach off of consignment from Holland Motor Homes, we also had an agreement on some discounted shop rates for work that we knew we wanted done. We had a very successful experience with both the Service Manager, and two of their more seasoned tech's. Zero complaints, and this was over about 6 months as we made ongoing modifications.

I stopped working with Holland about three years ago, after they're move to San Marcos. And admit i do not know if their current staff are as attentive as they once were in the service department. Steve Wilson remains with them, and I recommend him highly. Honest, and a straight shooter.

For general service, I do check both RV Service Reviews (And post to them too...), as well as other rating sites.

I find that while yes, some dishonest sales people and dealers exists. That they're easily avoided by a little due diligence. I also have watched how others behave at both dealers and service departments - and frankly many time I feel the dealers and service department staff are much more polite then is warranted by a customers attitude or poor behavior... I like to treat people with mutual trust and respect, and do so. But, the moment I feel this is not warranted - I'm very polite but consistent in letting know my feelings. Both in person, and as publicly as I can via boards and service review places. I feel all of us should speak out on both positive, and negative, experiences.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 04-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #27

We bought our 1989 Foretravel from King's Campers in Wausau, Wisconsin. They are or were one of the top five Tiffen dealers in the USA.
I got a super deal, they backed up the used warranty 100% and even a year later I still got the 10% discount for our in-store purchases.
They really know their stuff, have a few sites with electrical hookup for customers, and know us every time we come in, even tho it has been four years plus since we bought our used coach.
Family owned and almost everybody there is related, but the place is well run.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Yakimaman
Me thinks Gordon got it backwards.
In my experiance I have found that there are only a few good, honest dealers out there... and that most dealers give all dealers a bad name.
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles
I suppose you could be right Mel.

I think it has to do with communications most times. Generally speaking it is about how one interprets the dialog. I expect the dealer and buyer have to be clearer about what they mean.

Example - Buyer inspects coach, sees tires are weather checked and asks for new tires to be put on the coach as part of the deal. Dealer agrees and installs complete set of new tires, but dated 2 years old. Buyer later comes back and says "but I meant 2 months old", however did not state that. Buyer is now unhappy because dealer did not give him new tires. And the fight it on.

I dealt with contracts and contractors for years. Specifically words can be interpreted several ways. That unfortunately is why we have so many lawyers and lawsuits.

Fortunately I have had mostly good encounters with dealers. We speak a lot about what we want but I also document everything and send copies to the salesman and ask for confirmation. Email is fine for the purpose.

I do get caught once in a while when I am not aware of all of the details for some options, etc. But I generally get what I am asking for in the first instance.

The advice "buyer beware" is always good to practice.

Tags
dealer