Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
There are lots of good, honest dealers out there. ...

Seriously?

I'm on my 5th RV, (3rd motorhome). Every single RV dealer has been less than good and honest.

I have only dealt with proprietors of Jayco, Fleetwood, Winnebago, and Thor products. It seems that only the Newmar dealers are good and honest.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrism View Post
We were treated very well At Lazy Days. We used Brant Graves and we believe he was honest with us. Do your research before you shop!
The service dept is overwhelmed at certain times and you just have to plan on a long stay but they are competent.You must stay on your service advisor or they run people in ahead of you.
we have known and used brant graves for several years ,he is honest and straight forward.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #31

Another endorsement here for Lazy Days in Tampa for both sales and service.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #32

I can't say enough positive comments about Byerly RV in Eureka, MO. Excellent sales, parts, and service departments.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
Seriously?

I'm on my 5th RV, (3rd motorhome). Every single RV dealer has been less than good and honest.

I have only dealt with proprietors of Jayco, Fleetwood, Winnebago, and Thor products. It seems that only the Newmar dealers are good and honest.
I guess I have been fortunate. I find RV dealers, car dealer, store owners to be about the same. All are trying to feed their families and sell you something that fits in your dream. The dealers I have worked with have sold me what I wanted and done the warranty work as they said they would.

Honesty is relative and many questions you ask may not be well defined. To often questions are asked with implied conditions where the other party sees a different picture.

"Will my truck tow this trailer?" vs "Will my truck tow this trailer safely?". In both cases the answer could be yes although one should be "NO". There are too many "what ifs" to clarify. This question has been debated ad nauseum on the forum and there are several camps that weigh in on the topic without a clear resolution. Some indicate they have successfully and safely pulled large units with their trucks for years. Some of them may have or could be working for RV dealers. So there could be several answers depending upon the salesman's experience, or the manufacturers specifications or somewhere between. They are all giving an honest answer!!

Finally - I don't understand the contradiction in your post where you say that every single dealer you have worked with has been less than good and honest but your last line you say that only Newmar dealers are good and honest.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
.Finally - I don't understand the contradiction in your post where you say that every single dealer you have worked with has been less than good and honest but your last line you say that only Newmar dealers are good and honest.
There is no contradiction. Every RV dealer that I have worked with has been less than good and honest.

I personally have never purchased a Newmar product, (but was making reference to the positives posts about them by others).
Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
We had a good experience buying a used coach from a specific salesman that I went to for help in the search for our current coach. I posted for input on a few boards, and two or three names were consistently recommended. I ended up contacting and then meeting with Steve Wilson. He works for Holland Motor Homes, then in San Diego area, but recently moved a bit North to the San Marcos area of Southern California.

He got my list of preferred makes/models and years, and was able to help me find our current coach.

As part of the purchase of this coach off of consignment from Holland Motor Homes, we also had an agreement on some discounted shop rates for work that we knew we wanted done. We had a very successful experience with both the Service Manager, and two of their more seasoned tech's. Zero complaints, and this was over about 6 months as we made ongoing modifications.

I stopped working with Holland about three years ago, after they're move to San Marcos. And admit i do not know if their current staff are as attentive as they once were in the service department. Steve Wilson remains with them, and I recommend him highly. Honest, and a straight shooter.

For general service, I do check both RV Service Reviews (And post to them too...), as well as other rating sites.

I find that while yes, some dishonest sales people and dealers exists. That they're easily avoided by a little due diligence. I also have watched how others behave at both dealers and service departments - and frankly many time I feel the dealers and service department staff are much more polite then is warranted by a customers attitude or poor behavior... I like to treat people with mutual trust and respect, and do so. But, the moment I feel this is not warranted - I'm very polite but consistent in letting know my feelings. Both in person, and as publicly as I can via boards and service review places. I feel all of us should speak out on both positive, and negative, experiences.

Best to all,
Smitty

We bought our Southwind at Holland in San Marcos earlier this year. Very good purchase experience and service has been very good also. Like most we had a laundry list of warranty items after the sale. Not a huge list and mostly nitpicky things. The one significant issue was the refer cooling fans running continuously which they tracked down to a bad thermal sensor and replaced. So far they have done everything they said they would and in a timely manner. Service rep is very straightforward and doesn't try to bs us. Overall I am very pleased. Holland is the polar opposite of La Mesa RV, San Diego which is not a place I would recommend after dealing with them on our last coach.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I liked my dealership so much after purchasing 2 units there that I put in a resume and now work there. Talk about having your perceptions changed!

I honestly believe that my dealership tries to do the right thing at all times, or as a RV owner I wouldn't work there. Do we sometimes screw the pooch? You bet we do. We make mistakes, but try to learn from them. We have a consultant that comes in and observes how we do business and makes suggestions on how to improve where we are lacking. Our owner demands we constantly strive to improve how we do business.

Before this dealership I purchased a unit at Camping World in North Charleston in South Carolina, and had a great experience there as well. Maybe I've been lucky.
Brian W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #37

It seems most of the responses have been positive experiences. It is also clear that there are some paranoid folks on here that think the world is out to get them. So sad.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
It seems most of the responses have been positive experiences. It is also clear that there are some paranoid folks on here that think the world is out to get them. So sad.
I only asked for good and positive responses.

Out of the 6 RV's I bought (some costing over $500K). I can't say any of the dealers were honest, some were real crooks and their service departments were incompetent on different levels. Most dealers buy the RV's from Auctions, Foreclosures, trade-ins and people in distress needing money. Then they "Throw away" all the service records that the previous owners kept so you are getting a pig in a poke. They could blot out the names so you can see if it was properly maintained but that's not in their favor.

Some even change the oil on the generator and engine before the PDI inspection so if you pull the dipstick the oil looks brand new. They clean off the outside of the fuel filters and write the current mileage with a marker. Detail and clean the engine and coach and you feel you are getting a great buy. They tell you the transmission filters were changed, but when you have it changed yourself , the Allison filters say "Factory Installed with the date". (which is critical. It's supposed to be removed and changed at 5000 miles for the Allison factory warranty to be in force.

Its not paranoia its bad experiences that's why I asked for Good Experiences and some Honest Dealers names and I am saving them.

Wow, If I asked for all the negative experiences the posts would probably never end....
PhaetonRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Well, my friend, there are too many of bad people out there. Crooks and liars abound, and don't even get me started on politicians. If it wern't for immoral people, there would be no reason for the buyer to be aware, nor would there be a police force or a military. But crooks and liars do abound.

Caveat emptor, my friend, caveat emptor. Who knows how my experience would have gone had I not prepared. I didn't want to take the chance.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
I will try to be brief, bought our rv from dealer in RI, no real complaints, have not been back for any reason, traded our class c in with 2000 miles, 2 years old. year later, ran into new owners of our old c, nice couple, told us how much they loved the unit, were unhappy that they had to put 6 new tires on the c in arizona!!!!!! said the date code on the tires were 2002!!!!! the class c was a 2010 that we bought new!!! We all went for ice cream, compared stories, our new friends had 7 nearly new tires switched for junk ones right before delivery. old tires had tire shine to make them look new. I was hot !!! not even mine and I was hot !! need I say more? I hate liars and thieves.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Lazy days has my vote. When I purchased my used. Winnebago they let me stay in their campground 8 days to check everything out. The service rep. came by every morning for items to be fixed and they fixed them. Good price, solid unit and all manuals and maintenance records in the unit. Just had a friend buy a 2015 Tour at LD. Had fire ants in unit. Put them up in local motel and then flew them home while they fumigated the RV ect. They are back home with the Tour and have nothing but kudos for Lazy Days.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #42

We have bought two new mhs and never have taken either in for servicing anywhere other than alignments. So the dealer is just a treacherous obstacle between me and the mfg. Once purchased I never go back. The never ending hyperbole, lying etc., even when it serves no purpose, other than keeping in practice, keeps me from nostalgic visits.
The other day I stopped in at a dealer I have been to previously just to measure something on a mh. I have looked at a nos Newmar several times at this dealership. A couple of salesman approached that I had not yet dealt with. I said "I see you still have that 3103 for sale". One replied, "no we sold that last week". What did you finally get for it? We sold it for 5k under msrp. Wife asked, "What was the msrp? The reply was 150k. It is 133k and they had it advertised for 25% off msrp. So was this to instill my mistrust, what was the purpose of this mischief? I was not there to look at that particular mh and 3 weeks later it is still advertised as for sale.
The manager whom I have talked to several times about rvs in general and in particular terms, happened by. We talked for a while and he offered me a pdi job.
They all are pleasant to coverse with, but just cannot deviate from the jack.

Tags
dealer