Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #1

Hood Glued On?

My MH has been at the mechanic's for over a month to get dash AC fixed. After a month of my mechanic looking for the right dryer, I told him to put it together and I would pick it up. The air still doesn't work and The MH sat facing west the entire time.

When I parked it and opened the hood, the driver's side fell off! Upon checking, it appears the hood was GLUED onto the bracket with some kind of green plastic looking glue!

Is there a special glue to hold the hood on?

Bottom line: Had my MH for 2 months and it sat in the sun most of that time waiting to get the right parts for dash AC. Still no AC and now the hood fell off!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Gorilla glue woes great just clean the area and don't remove the other stuff because that is your shim. Clamp it and let it do the work it will turn to a foam type bond.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Gorilla glue woes great just clean the area and don't remove the other stuff because that is your shim. Clamp it and let it do the work it will turn to a foam type bond.
FYI
Straight from the Gorilla Tech page.
Foam in a glue line has no structural strength whatsoever, and must not be considered as a gap filler

The strength is not in the foam.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check with an auto body shop that does fiberglass repairs. They should be able to point you in the correct direction.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
FYI

Straight from the Gorilla Tech page.

Foam in a glue line has no structural strength whatsoever, and must not be considered as a gap filler

The strength is not in the foam.

I guess you didn't see the words clamp it together. And the part to leave the old green bond in place to use it like a shim.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:52 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have tried GG once and did not like it because of the foaming which spread and filled into the wood grain and then would not take stain. It might work on this situation as a temporary fix but I'm not to sure of its strength. It might work on other applications as well.

I've had enough experiences with glues to realize there are good and not so good ways to use the stuff.

I have heard of that happening before. Of course your MH is still under warranty but I myself would not trust that repair to just any shop. If you can take it to the factory that's another good way. Unless they use the correct glue and method it could be worse.

Our WBGO hood is also glued on to metal brackets. The glue they use is thick and as stated does act as a shim and locator for your situation. What I think they do is put the glue on the hood then with the hinges in position they just set the hood on. That spaces it and when the thick glue sets up it keeps it close to being aligned. There are some adjustments that could be done if needed. As SG stated in his post #4, I'd defer to a fiberglass worker who probably has some good recommendations of what to use.

Once you do get it secured I'd add some pieces of fiberglass layers over the metal bracket and onto the fiberglass hood. Then using a paint brush spread more FG gell over the layers of FG. That would create a FG cover over the metal bracket and onto the FG hood. That would add another layer of security to the connection.

In fact I may just do that because they do come off and I can add the extra FG now and make it a lot easier.

Do let us know what your final solution is. Thanks!!

TeJay
Old 08-02-2016, 06:06 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We had the front hood/generator cover pop off when it got caught on a tree limb while backing up. It was also glued on with the green stuff. I re-glued it but was not satisfied that was enough since it popped off so easy.

We found the brackets were slotted like they were intended to have bolts so I bought some carriage bolts, painted them to match and bolted it on. So far no one has noticed the bolts and I feel better about it being more secure.
HD4Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:23 AM   #8

Maybe the glue acted as a fuse which blew in order to protect the cover.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Okdokie -

First off, welcome to the forum and keep asking questions. When you have time, update your signature and personal information so that we can tell where you are at and what type of MH you have.

Winnebago has been gluing parts on for quite some time. Most stick and last for decades, but some were glued improperly (either after the set time was getting close or without proper cleaning) and fall off quite easily. It will be covered under warranty, but as noted, go to a good repair shop to get it done.

Sorry to hear about the shop holding your rig for two months without getting it fixed. If it is a Ford, most good Ford truck repair shops can get it in and out in a day or two, but call ahead and tell them your problem.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We had the front hood/generator cover pop off when it got caught on a tree limb while backing up. It was also glued on with the green stuff. I re-glued it but was not satisfied that was enough since it popped off so easy.

We found the brackets were slotted like they were intended to have bolts so I bought some carriage bolts, painted them to match and bolted it on. So far no one has noticed the bolts and I feel better about it being more secure.
Me too and now my right side headlight bracket has popped loose. It will be bolted on when I get around to it. Unbelievable how they put these things together. I'd rather see the painted carriage bolt heads and trust the bond.
Rich
Old 08-03-2016, 05:03 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
Me too and now my right side headlight bracket has popped loose. It will be bolted on when I get around to it. Unbelievable how they put these things together. I'd rather see the painted carriage bolt heads and trust the bond.
Rich
Should we think it is odd our rigs are the same year and basically the same coach with different stickers?
HD4Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:32 AM   #12

Our '17 Winnie Vista also had one of the glued on brackets fall off inside the hood. I used an aerospace epoxy, Loctite 9462 to re-glue it and also added 2 stainless large diameter head (truss head) 1/4 x 20 bolts. Also bolted the opposite side as well. Looks great and can never fall off again.

All of the slots in the brackets are designed to let the factory applied glue ooze through and help retain the bracket. On this one the bracket that fell off appeared to not have enough glue to begin with.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #13

It's quite common for fiberglass or other composites to be glued to steel substrates. It's done on many passenger cars, trucks, and of course motorhomes. There are special adhesives meant for the job. The best one I've found is SEM 39537 Weld Bond Adhesive.

https://www.semproducts.com/repair-a...-bond-adhesive

It's a 2 part adhesive used by body shops to reattach fiberglass and plastic panels to a steel framework. It's available at many body shop supply outlets, or online places like e bay and Amazon. It's not cheap at about $40.00 but if you prepare the surface properly you'll never have another problem.

I used it to reinstall a headlight bucket and grille section on our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. They both came loose at about year 4 of ownership. After the repair they were still going strong when we traded it off 8+ years and over 100,000 miles later.

It does take a special applicator that sells for over $100.00. However in about 10 minutes you can modify a standard $5.00 caulking gun from Menards to do the job.

http://www.menards.com/main/paint/ca...53680365958968
Old 08-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #14

I had my glued on hood come loose, saw it just before it would have blown off on the freeway. I cleaned off all the old glue, and set the aluminum frame in to a bed of 3 M 5200. That was 5 years ago and I am sure it will never come off again.

Just this week I can see the right front fender is coming loose now. I have already picked up some more 5200.

The best stuff for gluing on parts for boats and RVs.

thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote