Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hood River Or bridge

Has anyone crossed the hood river bridge to White Salmon Wa. The bridge website says to avoid it with motorhomes. Garmin trucking GPS and Good Sam travel takes me over it.
Lost in Portland
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep! Find another route.

Be a shame to land on a barge.

I'd trust the website before I'd trust a GPS. If I remember right there's a stronger bridge East of you at Maryhill, and west at The Dulles. But therre are probably closer ones.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #3

Should be OK

Don't really know the reason why they would say avoid Hood River. The bridge at Cascade Locks, which is the first one east of Portland proper is the one to avoid. The entrance is quite curvy and the bridge itself old and spooky. The Hood River bridge is good, The Dalles good and the one at Bigg's Jct. near Maryhill museum is used all the time by big rigs. Good luck and safe travels.
rockingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
laj

I believe you can cross at Cascade Locks on Bridge of gods, or as mentioned I know you can cross at Biggs junction. Biggs junction will take you up to Goldendale or you can cut back on hwy 14 to white salmon.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #5

"the one at Bigg's Jct. near Maryhill museum is used all the time by big rigs."
Go to that one if you need to avoid I5 or The Dalles bridge.
Last fall we crossed from Wash.to Hood River. EEK!! I hated it in a full size truck. The Hood River area is world famous for wind surfing. Those same winds will raise H___ with large vehicles.
It's narrow, has curbs jutting out on the sides and it also has a perforated steel deck.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks guys. I believe i go over 205 then east on Hwy 14..scenic drive and no narrow bridge
Don
Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #7

Ha! Brain Fart!
I've lived here my whole life and forgot about the 205 bridge...
I avoid freeways if possible.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo View Post
"the one at Bigg's Jct. near Maryhill museum is used all the time by big rigs."
Go to that one if you need to avoid I5 or The Dalles bridge.
Last fall we crossed from Wash.to Hood River. EEK!! I hated it in a full size truck. The Hood River area is world famous for wind surfing. Those same winds will raise H___ with large vehicles.
It's narrow, has curbs jutting out on the sides and it also has a perforated steel deck.

Right on all counts; This is one bridge to avoid, even in a car, if at all possible with a heavy wind blowing.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
The I-205 would be safest but I have crossed both Bridge of the Gods & the Hood River Bridge in motorhomes. I didn't know it's not recommended or safe until I read this post. I was raised on the Washington side of the Columbia River between the two bridges. Trucks used those bridges all the time when I lived there but I left there in 1961. I've been back numerous times and still seems like semi-trucks use those bridges.

Out of curiosity I looked up the Hood River Bridge and this is part what they say: "This is a very NARROW bridge. The width of a lane from center is 9 feet, 10-3/4 inches. The width of a lane between the edge of the centerline stripe to the face of the bridge guardrail is 9 feet, 4-3/4 inches. Large RVs are advised to cross at Cascade Locks or The Dalles. The height restriction is 14 feet 7 inches. "

The lanes on the Bridge of the Gods are listed as 14 feet 6 inches. Sure seems narrow when meeting oncoming traffic!
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
The bridge to White Salmon is narrow as previously said, but appears to be quite safe.

The road on the Washington side is a nice westerly drive to the next bridge which is wider.

My Garmin had me turn left onto the west bound road after crossing the bridge, when the RV Park was on the right. We got turned around by disconnecting the toad a few miles up the road.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I've crossed at Hood River and it was not fun! My buddy, pulling a 5'r said for him it was a white knuckler, esp. where he met a simi, mid-span. We stayed at White Salmon for a couple of nights, then, as we were traveling west, he stayed on the WA side to 205. he said there were a couple of tunnels where he had to travel down the middle of the road as the slope of the tunnels was such that there was not enough height clearence for him to stay in his lane. Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you go across the bridge at Biggs Junction there's a pretty nice RV park just off the end. Used to be called "Peach Beach". We stayed there some years ago so things might have changed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Seems the best option is 205 to the Washington side and enjoy the loop from Biggs Junction to come back on I84. You get the added benefit of stopping at Maryhill if you'd like as well a the Stonehenge replica and the Goldendale observatory. Have fun!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Peach Beach is AWESOME!

We camped at Viento State Park but ended up windsurfing from Peach Beach more often than not. Not nearly as crowded as Event Site or the Hook. Bigger swells & more wind!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote