Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1452559652
These are photos of a duplex that I had in my electric supply bin. It is a 125 volt 20 amp duplex and could be exchanged for the one at your storage facility.
The horizontal slot is the neutral slot and the vertical one is the hot side. One the horizontal you can see the silver screws. You should have the one in there test as shown in the diagram that "Old-Biscut" posted. If you replaced the one there with one of these it would carry 20amps and could still be used for the original intent because it has both the vertical and horizontal slot on the neutral side.
The plug the OP posted is a NEMA 6-20 it will not fit in a NEMA 5-20R without a BFH. the 6 is rated for 250 Volts

Male Plug
NEMA 5-20P

Female Receptacle
NEMA 5-20R

This receptacle will also accept the 15A/125V 2-wire (NEMA 1-15P)
or 3-wire (NEMA 5-15P), male plugs above.

20 amp. 125 volt
2-Pole
3-Wire Grounding

Uses include old style window air conditioners, large electric heaters, certain machines and office equipment in commercial applications.
1 hp rating

Notice that you can plug a standard 15A/125V male plug into this female receptacle but not the
other way around.
Most codes require that this receptacle be used when wiring a single receptacle on a 20 amp. circuit.

Male Plug

NEMA 6-20P

Female Receptacle
NEMA 6-20R

This receptacle will also accept the (NEMA 6-15P)
15A/250V male plug above.

20 amp. 250 volt
2-Pole
3-Wire Grounding
Most common household 250 volt plug. Used in many larger window air conditioners and some large home use air compressors, certain machines and office equipment in commercial applications. 2 hp rating

Notice that this configuration is the opposite of 20A/125V but can be confusing when looking at the plug. They are mirror images of each other

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank for the correction and information.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the CAMCO. Works perfect...
Old 01-17-2016, 01:55 AM   #32

A couple posters alluded to it or mentioned it - but I'll reiterate...MAKE SURE the outlet at your storage is indeed 110-120Vac, not 250Vac. That configuration plug NEMA 6-20P can be used and is often used in older buildings where they may have had machinery at one time, for 250 volts instead of the 110-120 you want to keep your coach batteries topped off. Once you verify it's correct, there are adapters that go from the NEMA 6-20P to the more "normal" 15A config.(5-15P) I keep my coach with six house batt's topped off with a 15A connection without issue - but I also "turn down" the controller to max out at 15A draw and no more than 80% charge rate.
Durango382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #33

Finally got round to going and testing the outlet and what do you know it's a 250V!!
Good job I checked in with everyone here before leaping in!
Spoke to the manager at the storage who will always bend over backwards to help - he is taking it up with his boss to see if they can get an electrician in to reduce it to 110V. And don't y'all worry - if he tells me they have done it I will be checking it again before plugging anything in!!!

Thanks again
Dave
usdave1t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, storage