Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #1

Angry Horizontal Propane Tanks

Our 2000 Damon Challenger has a 105 lb/ 25 gal horizontal propane tank, that is outdated (needs to be re-certified). It seems to be rusted on the underside. I am having the hardest time trying to find a replacement anywhere on line or locally here in Houston TX.
I am thinking of probably getting a smaller one (11.2 gal) at PPL motors for $411.00. I know that we would have to re-fill more often but at least that one is available now.

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome. Budget is a problem at the moment.

Art
aandbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, it does not need to be re-certified. This type of tank is covered under a different set of rules and does not need re-certification, HOWEVER if the pump jockey notices major issues with the tank they may refuse to refill

If the rust is light, Gently remove and re-paint, If it is deep and pitted, Then the tank needs to be replaced.

But since this tank is mounted, not portable, it does not need re-certification.

Many threads on this, Some of them include the actual chapter and verse of law that applies (Section and sub section).

But that type of tank does not need re-certification.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I agree and if you need to replace it there are a lot of used tanks out there for a
whole lot less than what you were thinking of.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #4

Sounds like someone is getting a little picky. I used propane as motor fuel for years in a truck with a tank mounted under my van.It was subject to salt and was completely rusted. These tanks are not just 1/8 inch thick.Many motor fuel tanks are mounted out in the elements. I think you need to find a different fuel supplier, possibly one in a rural area that is a little more reasonable.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem is that portable tanks like my 20 pounder, need to be certified when new and re-certified every so often..

But the Horizontal tank bolted to my frame.. Does not need re-cert, it falls under DIFFERENT rules..

I am going to hazard a guess.. Some wet behind the ears pump jockey who only studied half the pump jockey manual told him it needs to be re-certified... Of course if he had studied the other half of the book.. he would have gone ahead and filled it,

Because that 2nd set or fules, the one that frame mounted tanks must adhear to.. DOES NOT REQURIRE RECERTIFICATION. (Unless there is damage (physical, visible) to the tank or the brass is off-color.. and a specific color at that, I will not tell you what causes that but in that case the rig will be used and you do not want to live in it).
Old 11-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I was told mine needed to be replaced a few weeks ago by someone that didn't know the rules. I started looking until I read these reviews and now have the itch at getting a larger tank and found this one to replace my 20 gallon tank. If your interested. This is what I am looking at.
I have asked on this site if anyone has herd of the manufacture, but haven't seen anything yet.
$330.00
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #7

After a close examination of the tank, it seems to be only surface rust. I will steel brush it and then spray it with Rustoleum White paint. That should do the trick. I will also put a new Service Valve and Regulator.

Art
Old 11-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is a link to the Manchester propane tank site. Manchester Tank: RV Products

My tank was made by Manchester with a date code of 1997. It is a 24 gallon, with a Cat. # 6829 stamped on it. My tank measured 14" OD x approx. 36" long. I just purchased my 1998 MH in August 2013, I had the tank filled in September 2013 by a wholesale propane supplier - no questions at all. I know Manchester is a primary manufacturer of propane tanks.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #9

I replaced my 25 gal with a 50 gal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOTOR HOME 2 003.jpg
Views:	2181
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	79932  
Old 11-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Boy 50 gallons that would be nice.

aandbr, Thanks I just have a hard time finding places that can fill the old tank. so Far in 4 years I have only found 3 places that can fill it. Everybody that dispenses propane don't have the correct hook ups. Now with the new tank the filler is higher on the tank.
I could also repaint it. I am not sure how we will do this winter in AZ as far as getting it filled.
Happy Holidays,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Just for the record, there are horizontal-mount portable tanks that follow DOT specs and do require re-certification every 13 years. Most motorhomes do not have that kind of tank, but I caution those here not to jump to conclusions.

That said, it is highly likely this Damon has an ASME-spec tank and does not require periodic certification. However, any propane tech who sees an actual defect is supposed to refuse to refill a tank, whether DOT or ASME spec. This sometimes leads poorly trained techs to make a bad call. Usually their supervisor can straighten it out, but sometimes its easier to just go somewhere else.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandbr View Post
After a close examination of the tank, it seems to be only surface rust. I will steel brush it and then spray it with Rustoleum White paint. That should do the trick. I will also put a new Service Valve and Regulator.

Art
IS something wrong with the Service valve? IS it leaking?

And is the regulator regulating?

If they are working, Why replace them.. Obviously if they have failed they need replacement. But you made no reference to valve failure that I recall, less I missed it.

It is not necessary to upgrade to the new ACME type connectors for this type of tank, you may continue to use the POL fittings, and in fact should, since you never disconnect (less you are installing an Extend-a-stay type adapter and then only one time) they are not a problem.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
IS something wrong with the Service valve? IS it leaking?

And is the regulator regulating?

If they are working, Why replace them.. Obviously if they have failed they need replacement. But you made no reference to valve failure that I recall, less I missed it.

It is not necessary to upgrade to the new ACME type connectors for this type of tank, you may continue to use the POL fittings, and in fact should, since you never disconnect (less you are installing an Extend-a-stay type adapter and then only one time) they are not a problem.

Testing it after a partial fill, I discovered low flames on stove top (indicating low pressure) regulator may be adjusted. Also discover leak from Service Valve. (lost all propane in tank) So if I`m going to replace the Valve I may as well replace Regulator while I`m at it??
Old 11-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

An inline LP regulator is not expensive, so yes, I would replace it as well if there is any doubt at all.

It's a standard LP regulator, not unique to an RV, so you don't need to pay RV store prices for one.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank