Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #1

Talking Horned the neighbors!!

Last night, the admiral and I were enjoying a cocktail in the captain's chairs. I reached over the helm to tilt the steering station and hit "telescope" rather than "tilt". The column retracted quickly out of my hand, I was not expecting this, bottomed out, and set off both air horns . It took me a few seconds (which seemed like an hour) to realize what had occurred, and to end the revelry, by pulling the column back up. That did work, however, I'm not certain it should have fired off the horns in the first place.

So, this morning I checked the wiring harness and did not find an exposed wire which might have grounded on the steel brackets (which is what I suspect) as all but one are in a wrapping. Once we are home I'll peel back the shrouding and see what I can find.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I had a similar problem which I finally resolved last month. Last summer I had replaced the turn signal switch assembly in the steering column. Apparently when I reinstalled the steering wheel I had it shifted ever so slightly that occasionally the horn wire (air horns) would make contact if I was turning sharply, usually while maneuvering into a parking spot. To correct the problem I did not have to use the steering wheel puller, but only had to loosen the bolts holding the steering wheel. I made sure the hole for the horn wire was lined up perfectly and so far it has not happened again. Perhaps your steering wheel has shifted slightly over time and needs to be retightened. In your case, however, as you mentioned your event was related to telescoping of the column it seems likely you may have a short on the same wire farther down in the column. I guess that's a long way of suggesting if you don't find the problem down in the steering column then check at the steering wheel itself. Makes me think it might be good if I install a kill switch on this wire in the event it shorts out and the horns go off until the coach runs out of air. In fact, I think I may just do that!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Last night, the admiral and I were enjoying a cocktail in the captain's chairs. I reached over the helm to tilt the steering station and hit "telescope" rather than "tilt". The column retracted quickly out of my hand, I was not expecting this, bottomed out, and set off both air horns . It took me a few seconds (which seemed like an hour) to realize what had occurred, and to end the revelry, by pulling the column back up. That did work, however, I'm not certain it should have fired off the horns in the first place.

So, this morning I checked the wiring harness and did not find an exposed wire which might have grounded on the steel brackets (which is what I suspect) as all but one are in a wrapping. Once we are home I'll peel back the shrouding and see what I can find.
REALLY embarrassing! We have the pathetic electric horn, as well as the air horns. There is a button on the dash that enables/disables the air horns when you hit the horn button on the steering wheel as well as the electric one . . . We have cats . . . . Now we disengage the air horn when setting up in a campground, the neighbors appreciate it, even if they don't know it. . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had trouble with my horn sounding and it was related to the smart wheel. The coach was parked behind our house and the horn sounded in the middle of the night for no reason at all. I thought someone had broke into it and went out to investigate. I have a switch on the dash to turn it off so I leave it off now. I had trouble with other functions on the smart wheel and since fixing them I have had no problems.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
We parked in a very quiet loop in the campground late one night (10pm). Decided dumping the air would be too loud so I figured it could wait till the morning. Common courtesy I thought to myself.
At precisely 2am, my wife and I awakened to a loud continuous air horn blast. It took about 10 seconds to come to the realization that it was coming from my coach!!! Springing from bed and bashing my shin I limped as fast as I could to the drivers seat, I found my 20 lb Maine coon cat standing on the center of my steering wheel.
I figured no one would really know who's horn it was that rudely woke them so I was rather taken aback in the morning to see that I was in the middle of all travel trailers and fifth wheels.
Oops.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #6

AirHorn?

That is why commercial trucks have the air horn on a 'pull wire' above the drivers head.

JohnnyB
Old 04-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
I blasted some folks enjoying their morning coffee a couple of weeks ago leaving a campground in MS.
I was running late and in a hurry when we arrived the evening before and didn't flip the switch off air. We were leaving next morning and I had to swing right up to their fiver and when I cranked the wheel I laid my arm on the horn. Couldn't leave fast enough! I did apologize but I don't think they heard me.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #8

I got my in-laws up in Washington. Reached through the steering wheel to do something about 10pm and BOOM go the air horns. It was only a second but they all heard it. We get along so all was forgiven!
skinsgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:07 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One of our cats walked over the steering wheel at 0 dark 30 and set off the air horns. I've since taken a piece of plywood and made some brackets to cover the wheel!! Need to modify it for the rig we have now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a switch that will cancel out the air horns. However, with my ignition off, even with the switch on, the air horns will not blow, just the electrics.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I have a switch that will cancel out the air horns. However, with my ignition off, even with the switch on, the air horns will not blow, just the electrics.
We had that in our Dutch Star too, but I still had the air horns activated. The Magna only has air horns and no way to turn them down or off!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post

How could you? I've NEVER done ANYTHING like that.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:43 AM   #13

Trying to add some fun to this, this past December we were at the ACC Championship game, and the lot we were parked in was an old industrial lot near the stadium. We were parked nose in near the back fence.

On the other side of the fence was an old building and those tailgaters with full beer bladders were coming down to relieve themselves where they thought it was private. So after they would get underway we would hit them with the headlights or air horn. 😈😗
I bet a few of those guys had serious internal injuries trying to stop!😭

Anyway, it was hysterical at the time!

1997 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #14

We made it home safely so now I have a chance to read through the replies. Figured perhaps a couple would appear on the technical end but never suspected a bunch of "I done it too" scenarios. Makes me feel like less of a dope (-: to see I am not alone.