Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #1

Horrible Smell - Itasca Sunstar 35F

Looking for some guidance !!

I have a 2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F

This particular model has a 1/2 bath and I am having a horrible smell problem that I haven't been able to trace/figure out.. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction..

When using the 1/2 bath.. we have no issues while at camp and standing still.. the problem arises when we start driving down the road.. this is when the smell gets to be extremely obnoxious.. I have tried a few things: put water in the sink to make sure the smell wasn't coming from the sink/gray tank.. I've put water in the toilet to insure I had a good seal on the toilet/black tank... I've run down the road with the roof vent open and closed... none of those have put a dent in the problem...

I read somewhere on this forum another member with SOB had a similar issue and he found he had a bad/cracked vent that was under his sink.. I don't have a vent under my sink to check.. So.. I'm at my wits end with this problem.. as you can imagine.. driving down the road and having the smell creep towards the front of the RV is not fun and makes for uncomfortable driving conditions...

Does anyone have any ideas ??? I've put it in this area, as I feel plumbing is plumbing and it should be similar in all models.. I'm hoping for some ideas on what to do...

HELP!?!?!?!?!?

EDIT: The smell only happens when the tank has yet to be drained..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Looking for some guidance !!

I have a 2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F

This particular model has a 1/2 bath and I am having a horrible smell problem that I haven't been able to trace/figure out.. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction..

When using the 1/2 bath.. we have no issues while at camp and standing still.. the problem arises when we start driving down the road.. this is when the smell gets to be extremely obnoxious.. I have tried a few things: put water in the sink to make sure the smell wasn't coming from the sink/gray tank.. I've put water in the toilet to insure I had a good seal on the toilet/black tank... I've run down the road with the roof vent open and closed... none of those have put a dent in the problem...

I read somewhere on this forum another member with SOB had a similar issue and he found he had a bad/cracked vent that was under his sink.. I don't have a vent under my sink to check.. So.. I'm at my wits end with this problem.. as you can imagine.. driving down the road and having the smell creep towards the front of the RV is not fun and makes for uncomfortable driving conditions...

Does anyone have any ideas ??? I've put it in this area, as I feel plumbing is plumbing and it should be similar in all models.. I'm hoping for some ideas on what to do...

HELP!?!?!?!?!?
Do you have a washer in or was it pre plumbed for one
tacaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #3

Close your windows while driving!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Vacuum breakers

Other problems people are having is the vacuum breakers that are under every sink is leaking and stinking up the coach when moving
Old 08-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacaem View Post
Do you have a washer in or was it pre plumbed for one
No, I do not
Old 08-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Close your windows while driving!
Typically, we do.. we usually run the generator so we can use the AC..
Old 08-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacaem View Post
Other problems people are having is the vacuum breakers that are under every sink is leaking and stinking up the coach when moving
That's what I thought.. but I don't have the vacuum breakers under this sink.. unless its hidden behind the wall.. but I thought I should have access to it.. so I didn't think there was one there... I guess I could look again..
Old 08-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
Community Administrator

When we traveled with tanks that haven't been drained , we kept the sink drains plugged. The gray tank stinks as much as the black tank. It worked ( took away the odor ) for us.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
That's what I thought.. but I don't have the vacuum breakers under this sink.. unless its hidden behind the wall.. but I thought I should have access to it.. so I didn't think there was one there... I guess I could look again..
Mine has two one for bathroom and one for kitchen
Old 08-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
360 vent for vent pipes

before i found that my washing machine drain was splashing out all the water in the trap I put a 360 vent cap on mine and that took care of the smell until I went to Alaska this summer and had to keep 1/4 to 1/2 full then it did not work for me. Good luck
Old 08-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
When we traveled with tanks that haven't been drained , we kept the sink drains plugged. The gray tank stinks as much as the black tank. It worked ( took away the odor ) for us.
That's one of the reasons I put water in the sink.. to provide a seal.. and that wasn't the issue...
Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #12

Quote:
On my National RV one of my vacuum breaker's is in fact inside the wall. There is a small (8x8) access panel you remove to get to it.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
On my National RV one of my vacuum breaker's is in fact inside the wall. There is a small (8x8) access panel you remove to get to it.
I just pulled the plumbing diagrams from WBGO's website.. it sure says I'm supposed to have one.. I will need to check for "access" to it.. I'll admit, it was a quick look, as I figured it would be as easy to see as my kitchen sink one... but I didn't see anything..

Thanks for the help !!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your plumbing diagrams (Here: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...e35f_plumb.pdf) show 3 vacuum breakers, one for each sink (rear bath, mid bath, kitchen), see pages 2 & 3, they are designated "VM-1". At least one (rear bath, page 2, C6)) looks like it is behind a false wall panel; others are likely similar. Mid bath one is on page 3 at C5, kitchen at C2. All of them are just past the p-trap and right above the point where the drain goes down. It looks like all of them may be accessible by cutting a small access hole inside the cabinet(s), where it won't be visible and will be easy to cover. Man, gotta love Winnebago's resources!
4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, smell