Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
My 40 footer weighs about 32,700 lb loaded for travel, plus I pull a 5000 lb toad, for a combined weight of about 37,700. I have a 370 hp ISL (8.9L) engine and average 7-8 mpg. 8 is cruising the interstates at 60-64 mph, while 7 (or a bit less) is town driving. Max torque is 1200 lb-ft.
Nearly exactly the same numbers as mine. The only difference is that I multiple the RV mileage by two to get the actual mileage. I'm towing a Jeep, there are two vehicles, makes sense - right?!?!

So, I claim between 14 mpg and 16 mpg.

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
300HP Cummins C8.3L pushing a 31,500 lb MH and pulling a 4,500 toad.

Have not found a Highway Paved Hill on the West Coast yet on which I could not get to the top due to power.

12 year fuel average at 7.2 mpg based on gallons used vs mile recorded. 7.45 mpg if eliminate the Genset fuel.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #17

Tires

It is time for new tires, my coach has a tag axle so a I need 8 tires. The current tires are Toyo 12R/22.5, I have been very happy with these tires, however several other brands have been suggested, I wanted to get any experiences anyone has had with the varies tire brands, they are 1. Sumitomo 2. Firestone 3. Toyo. Michelin tires are also in the mix although they are close to twice the price of the others, and it has been suggested they are no better.
Thanks for any input.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If I were buying a coach in that size and year(s), I would look for something with 400 ISL. It's one of the best, most popular and reliable motor home engines ever built. Monaco made a great coach and the Diplomat/Endeavor came with a 400 ISL in 2005. It also came in 38' and 40'. There are many of them around and are a great coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #19

From reading posts here and elsewhere, it seems tha everyone hovers around the 8MPH mark no matter what engines or size of coach. There are few outliers getting less than 7 or up to 10 but again, 8 seems to be the magic number with most between 7.5 and 8.5 (excluding any generator time).
For reference, a 3000 mile trip and a fuel price of 2.85 the difference between getting 7.5 or 8.5 is $134.
Also remember that there are a lot of factors that go into figuring MPH. Terrain, winds, altitude and the most important one of all is you foot.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #20

I have a 2008 38ft safari simba. It has a 300hp 660 torque 5.9 cummins and 5 speed Allison. It does good pulling my tandem tow with golf cart and honda element. It pulls down some on long grades and gets 7.5 mpg with cruise set at 72mph.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fuel mileage and the size of fish caught seem to be about the same. Depends on who is doing the measuring.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:16 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our Magna, over 45,000 miles shows 7.6 on the VMS even towing our 05 Odyssey. Empty weight is 46,000 and our GVWR is 54,000 and GCVWR is 69,000#'s.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:48 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Young View Post
It is time for new tires, my coach has a tag axle so a I need 8 tires. The current tires are Toyo 12R/22.5, I have been very happy with these tires, however several other brands have been suggested, I wanted to get any experiences anyone has had with the varies tire brands, they are 1. Sumitomo 2. Firestone 3. Toyo. Michelin tires are also in the mix although they are close to twice the price of the others, and it has been suggested they are no better.
Thanks for any input.
You are in the wrong "thread" my friend ! Here, the thread is HP/Torque
Old 06-25-2015, 05:49 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my opinion, a somewhat smaller diesel engine will not yield any significant increase in MPGs.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New '15 Discovery 380 HP/1150 Ft Lbs Cummings
10 no toad 60 mph
9 with toad
8 shorter hops/ with some city
Steady throttle always gives me 1-1.5 more MPG
Old 06-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
We've got a 405 hp MaxxForce in our 43' Endeavor (which tows a Jeep Liberty (4,200 lbs) - which seems to work fine. We haven't had the opportunity to exercise it in mountains (yet!) - however, it's handled all the driving we've done so far just fine.

The biggest adjustment for me has been getting used to how slow it is to get moving from a dead stop. I'm confident that it's NOT an issue with the coach - but rather the fact that I've got zero experience driving comparable sized vehicles. I realize that I'm not driving a sports car (nor am I trying too!) - but living in a large urban area where right turns are allowed on red means that finding a "break" in traffic that is large enough to allow you to make the turn and get up to speed so that you're going with the flow of traffic while make a turn onto major arteries (roads with speed limits in the 40-45 range) can often be a challenge. Depending on the time of day - waiting for an opening to make a left turn out of my subdivision can often take awhile.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #27

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I realize that I'm not driving a sports car (nor am I trying too!) - but living in a large urban area where right turns are allowed on red means that finding a "break" in traffic that is large enough to allow you to make the turn and get up to speed so that you're going with the flow of traffic while make a turn onto major arteries (roads with speed limits in the 40-45 range) can often be a challenge. Depending on the time of day - waiting for an opening to make a left turn out of my subdivision can often take awhile.
As someone who holds a CDL and who had a rather stern instructor for his CDL class, my question to you is why are you so concerned about making a right turn on red rather than just waiting for the next green light? My course was taught at the local community college and my instructor was a 70 yr old retired trucker who drummed into us that we should (normally) wait for left turn arrows and green lights for right turns. He ensured us that we would flunk our licensing exam if, for example, we got stuck in the intersection trying to make a left turn as the light changed red.

Similarly, if you're trying to make a right turn on red and the light changes the first part of the next cycle might be opposing traffic making left turns into the lane you are turning into which could make your right turn even more difficult.

I believe my CDL course trained me to be a safer driver. I drive more defensively and am far more aware of what "might" happen. One thing that was repeated over and over again was

"you're driving a large, heavy vehicle with limited maneuverability; if you are involved in an accident the very size of your vehicle is likely to make the consequences serious"

After nearly 5 years of full-timing and >45,000 miles later I'm glad I took the course.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Measuring MPG per tankful is not accurate, IMHO, because the fueling process is never the same. If their is a slight tilt to the pad by the pump it will take different amounts. As example, Fuel stop in Tuscon this winter the whole station had a good tilt from station to street. I filled to filler neck and when we left and hit the street the gauge dropped just below full. Many tank fills and many miles will give accurate results. My average over the last 65,000 miles is 8.3.

Tags
motorhome, power