Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #1

Hoses hanging low in front of front axle

Was under our new to us 2003 newmar today service to the generator, and noticed what looks like hydrolic hoses hanging aweful low. You can see in these pictures they are about equal with the bottom of the sway bar links. Is there any reason why I can't tie these up so they're not hanging so low? They are between the frame rails in front of the front axle behind the generator. Freightliner chassis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6131.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	228471   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6132.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	228472  

lostbuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2018, 11:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Hmmm... I know I would not leave them like that... Where do they go??? Hydraulic jacks???

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Hmmm... I know I would not leave them like that... Where do they go??? Hydraulic jacks???
X2.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would get a couple of hd nylon wire ties and move those hoses up some. You don't want them to snag on something while driving around the campsite.

If they go to some component that needs that extra length of hose (like a generator slide out) you could use a bungee cord to hold/pull the hoses up above axle and then the bungy will allow hoses to stretch out if needed.

On my coach there are a lot of extra length hoses and wire looms (but nothing hanging) so I just bundle them up and wire tie them to tidy up.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #5

I am thinking your coach is 15 years old and there has never been an issue. If you bend a 15 year old hose too much you may not like the results. If they are higher than the axle (appear to be in the photo) then you will hit the axle first, which would be a bigger issue.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I am thinking your coach is 15 years old and there has never been an issue. If you bend a 15 year old hose too much you may not like the results. If they are higher than the axle (appear to be in the photo) then you will hit the axle first, which would be a bigger issue.
There's never an issue, until there's an issue. If the hoses are that brittle that they couldn't (or shouldn't) be coiled up a bit and zip tied out of the way, sounds like the hoses should be replaced at that point anyway..no?

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #7

They could be fuel hoses going to/from the back of the generator. Our 2004 Newmar MADP had some loose generator fuel lines like those behind the generator that were not properly secured. I found out when the generator would not start because one of them got pinched and damaged in the generator slide latch behind the generator. I repaired the crunched fuel line and re-secured them.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think camera angle is making it look like they hang lower than they really do. Got any pics from outside that would show them hanging in relation to the axle and that drag link next to them? If hard mounted suspension components are high enough up then chances are good that those will be too. Nothing has hit them for 15 years, why start worrying now?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #9

Thanks for all your input guys.. I traced these hoses to the front to find they are the high pressure and low press lines that go to my front A/C condenser. One of the hoses was rubbing up against a bracket on a crossmember and blunt edge of some metal plate.. I could see the hose was starting to chafe.. So I took a couple zip ties and pulled the hoses up a little so they are not rubbing on the crossmember also elevating the hoses. I understand they've been like that for 15 years but didn't like that they are low and also rubbing on that crossmember.. Will check them doing my regular inspections.
lostbuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #10

You've got it. Zip Ties, Duct Tape and WD-40... Don't leave home without it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure what the diameter is of your hoses, but I would go one step further and buy some split loom to give the hoses a little extra protection.

Good luck!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Not sure what the diameter is of your hoses, but I would go one step further and buy some split loom to give the hoses a little extra protection.

Good luck!
x2

I like to put a strip of rubber or other supporting material between the tie and hose when possible. It spreads the load and if you need to cut the tie, you won't nick the hose.
matt999 is offline   Reply With Quote