Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #1

Hot Springs, North Carolina

Has anyone taken a 40 ft. or longer dp through Hot Springs, North Carolina on US 25-70? I live in Asheville, but have not tried to cross the railroad in Hot Springs for fear of not being able to clear the hump. I know it is a really curvy route with lots of grades, but at one time, it was the only truck route west into Tennessee. It is also a very pretty drive.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've drove that route about 3 weeks ago with no problems. As you say it is curvy with lots of grades. FYI we have a Garmin 760 and it tried to put us on alternate routes but if you stay on US25 you will be fine.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I used to ride motorcycles up there regularly, but that was years ago. Have you thought about heading west on I-40 and taking 278 (I believe that's the road number) to Hot Springs?
MaxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #4

Thanks Veraken and Max. Veraken, glad to know you just went that way with no issues. Max, I40 west is about to be closed for a week due to bridge repairs. I am very familiar with Hot Springs, and it is 209 that connects it to I40. Many thanks to both of you, but the problem resolved itself. Had to go to Sevierville to pick up the coach from the shop and feared I would need to come back via Hot Springs. The repairs finished up early and we picked it up today before the highway closed. All is good, but I still may take the US 25-70 route one day just for the drive when we go to east Tennessee.