Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Hot Temps causing electrical challenges

The current run of 100 temps in the daytime are challenging a lot of campground power supplies. We are in New England at the moment. When I plugged into the CG 50 amp, my internal meter showed 106 volts. I could not get either A/C to come on. I unplugged from the CG supply and cranked up my generator. Everything worked fine then. The campground owner measured 108 volts at the pedestal and all the other 50 amp sites. He had complained to the power company who cited "demand". We ran the generator until we went to bed and then went back on shore power leaving the A/Cs off overnight. This morning, the meter shows 112 volts. This campground is out in the country and I expect everyone is pulling a lot of juice trying to stay cool. I'm interested in what others with 50 amp motorhomes are finding.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Community Administrator

We have had similar CG volts. Here in ill , we have a steady 120. Our Progressive Ind EMS has shut us down at 104 volts five times in the last few weeks ( really saved our bacon ). Your equip should work at 108 ( not the best for them , but should work )

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #3

You should look at your a/c manual and see what the voltage tolerance is. It's usually +- 10%, so 108V is at the borderline. It's good info to know. Also, some sites with long cables runs have a greater voltage drop, hence lower voltage. Sometimes you may just have a bad site location, but at this time it looks like the utility is having difficulty regulating power. Stay cool!!
Brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are in an RV park with the same issue. Although our motor home is a 30 amp unit we can run both ACs at the same time because we have a load shedding energy management system. I was measuring 106 to 108 volts and the AC current used was increasing more than I liked so I switched to a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter hoping the larger wire gauge on the 50 amp leg would have a lower voltage drop. That worked okay for a while but as it got hotter here in CO the voltage began to drop and I had to turn the rear AC off and shut the bedroom door. That allowed us to cool the front. The good news is that in the last couple of weeks the voltage has gone up and stays over 108 all the time now so we can run both ACs. Maybe the power company made allowances for the increased load somehow. We have had record setting over 100 degrees temps for over 1 1/2 months now and although we are full timers and usually just go north when we get too hot that isn't an option right now because of DWs moms health.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Same problem here in Tulsa, low voltage . Just ordered a Hughes Autoformer from their website. I dont want to spend additional money on repairs later. Supposed to be delivered on thursday. Will report my findings ,when I recieve it.

Tags
electrical