Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2007, 06:09 AM   #1

Am new to RVing and apologize if the question has been asked before or recently.

My hot water heater heats the water great, question I have is that it "faults". I checked the manual they provided with the coach and it says that it will do that when the water temps get too high. You can reset it by turning the heater off and waiting abit to turn it back on.

Will the fault clear itself when the water temp drops to a range that the unit finds acceptable?

I am using the rig for the first time since getting it and the heater has gone into fault 2x so far. Is this normal?

I know the residential heaters kick on and off as needed. Do these units do the same thing. I do know I had really hot water this morning so the thing works well.

Thanks

Tom Sauls
Tom Sauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2007, 06:09 AM   #2

Am new to RVing and apologize if the question has been asked before or recently.

My hot water heater heats the water great, question I have is that it "faults". I checked the manual they provided with the coach and it says that it will do that when the water temps get too high. You can reset it by turning the heater off and waiting abit to turn it back on.

Will the fault clear itself when the water temp drops to a range that the unit finds acceptable?

I am using the rig for the first time since getting it and the heater has gone into fault 2x so far. Is this normal?

I know the residential heaters kick on and off as needed. Do these units do the same thing. I do know I had really hot water this morning so the thing works well.

Thanks

Tom Sauls
Old 03-18-2007, 06:13 AM   #3

Could you please give maker and model # of the hot water heater.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:25 AM   #4

It is an Atwood MPD 93756

Tom Sauls
Old 03-18-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We need the make of the water heater (usually either Atwood or Suburban) and if possible a model number. Does yours have both LP gas and electric modes? Do you light a pilot or does it have electronic ignition (called DSI- Direct Spark Ignition)?

In either case, yes they cycle on/off via a thermostat. They should not overheat as long as the tank has a continuous water supply available, either from the fresh water tank or from city water (hose). If for some reason the tank gets low on water it could overheat and a thermal cut-off will prevent fire or damage. The same thing would happen if the thermostat went bad and failed to shut off the heat.

What is the fault indication? A red light? Digital code?

If your heater has both gas & electric modes, does this happen in both modes or only one (either electric or gas)?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Sauls:

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

There should be a black rubber pad with some wires going through it on the front of your water heater. Underneath that are your limit switches. They are suface mounted on the tank using a bayonet type mount made out of light sheet metal. Many times the ears on these mounts gets loose so that the limit switches are no longer making full contact with the tank so check to see if the switches are loose and simply press the ears on the mounts inward using a stick or simular object so that the limit switches are tight against the tank.

On my previous coach the water heater had been replaced and the tech who did the work left the limit switches loose. The water was so hot that it delaminated the shower surround when I rinsed it with straight hot water. Outside the coach the heat when the P&T valve blew melted and deformed the access panel for the refridgerator.

After this fix and making sure that I ran abount a gallon of water from one of the hot water spigots every time I hooked up the coach elimnated any repeat performances.

Let us know how things work out along with the make model and year of your coach.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #7

It is an Atwood MPD 93756.

The heater has an electric igniter and the fault is just a red light.

As far as I know it is only a LP heater.

Tom Sauls
Old 03-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Sauls:
...hot water heater... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you want to heat hot water??
Old 03-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #9

I guess it is like unthawing meat....

Just one of those redundant statements. Maybe to make it even hotter?

Tom Sauls
Old 03-19-2007, 12:20 AM   #10

It is an Atwood MPD 93756.

The heater has an electric igniter and the fault is just a red light.

As far as I know it is only a LP heater. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

What year, make and model of coach do you have and where is the light located. If the light is by the water heater switch this usually indicates that the pilot did not work correctly and that the burner did not ignite properly when it tried to fire. You could have a different problem then you think.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:52 AM   #11

It is an 06 Fleetwood Jamboree 31M 34'

Tom Sauls
Old 03-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is an Atwood MPD 93756. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That sounds more like a part number for some piece of it. Atwood model numbers usually look something like "G6A-7LP" (6 gallon LP gas model).

As Neil says, the red light simply means the DSI failed to achieve ignition. That usually means either the DSI electrode is not close enough to the metal frame to generate a spark or it sparked but the LP gas did not ignite. Causes for that are dirt/spider webs/bees nests etc. in the gas chamber or low LP gas pressure (crud in the LP regulator back by the tank, for example).

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote