Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
All this info helps a bunch.We have a lot to learn.
Thanks everyone

tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
Inlet water temp will have an affect on endurance also. Mixing 25% cold water at 40 degrees with 75% hot water at 120 degrees will yield less shower time than say 40% cold at 65 degrees and 60% hot at 120 degrees. In other words, the the colder the cold water is, the less of it you need to mix with the hot water to get the desired shower temp so you end up using more hot water at a given flow rate.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
300HP Cummins 8.3
Allison MD 3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
Come on people you are living in a camper not a house. So give you equipment a try, 10 gal should do a good job.
leatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
Also remember that many RV parks have showers. Most are kept clean. For your long soaking shower you can use theirs.
Thebaldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our last 3 TT's and our new MH had only the 6-Gal HWT. All were sufficient to give a good hot fairly long shower. We only ever used it in the electric mode so we never really experienced the recovery time when both are employed. As suggested you need to try the systems first before you try to have 20-30 gallon tank installed. I think you will be surprised. As mentioned you are living in a CAMPER and not in the PARIS HILTON.

Do what you need to do but try them first before you incur the expense of an upgrade that really may not be necessary.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
We will most likely stay with what the m/h comes with.I just ask a lot of questions,as we will be living in this 9 to 10 months a year.My only experience with any camper is a new 30' trailer that i lived in for a year while i built my studio and house.There were a lot of problems with the 6 gal hot water system,but it was a cheap camper our m/h will not be a cheap one. I really like the feed back from your experience.
Thanks again. Tim
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #21
We just started fulltiming and living in an RV park. According to our manuf. specs we have a 12 gallon hot water tank. Any way we leave it on electric for hot water. My wife and I both take separate showers (hmmmm) and have not had an issue with hot water. We are using our washer/dryer unit daily with no problems. Unless we have some type of issue, we plan to remain with our current set up. So far running out of hot water has not been an issue for us.

I have read that switching to a tankless unit is not that difficult to convert to and costs are not that ridiculous either. Although you have to make some adjustments in using. such as it requires 1 gallon/minute water flow, do not use water savers on shower heads and some other issues I can not remember off hand. The girard tankless water heater for RV's is about 23 pounds and runs on propane, 12volts with electronic ignition. That is all I have in my notes but I am sure you can find a lot more on the Internet.

Good luck.
George and Brenda
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan with CAT7
2013 Honda Fit
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #22
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some people from time to time ask why folks (Myself included) Trudge to the park shower faciilty instead of using the one in the MH. LONG HOT SHOWER.. that is the answer.

This might be cheaper than the Hydro/Aqua hot systems .

TANKLESS water heater.. These are propane only water heaters, but they hold very little water (oftan 1 qt or less) Their recovary time is zero or approaches zero. Once the sense water flowing they fire up the burner and .. Well.. you can fill your gray tank with hot water, or shower for an hour (With the gray dump valve open) and never run out of hot so long as you don't run out of gas (real gas, propane type, not gasoline).

They are also a fuel saving device as they use NO fuel when water is not flowing.

I would like to install one on this MH as a secondary heater if I could (Basicaly just powering the shower).

An Oxygenics shower head may extend the run time as well (And reduce water consumption)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
Our hot water tank is only 10 gallons. Both Thom and I can get long hot showers without any problems. I even still shave while in the shower. We stopped using the campground showers when they started having problems with the flame going out in their hot water tank when the wind the wrong way.

Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote