Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #1

Hot water heater issue help!

I'm used to water heaters on sailboats, those worked off of electricity, propane or the coolant lines from the engine. This water heater is a mystery, I have 2 manuals for water heaters in the coach, one is for a 6 GL propane heater the other is for a 10GL electric or propane heater. I'm not real sure where the hot water tank is located.

I have a pilot on the drivers side of the MH where the pilot for the water heater is located. On the main control panel is a rocker switch for the hot water heater. It seems most times when I hit the rocker switch its flashing and not heating water. When it's solid it's heating water.

Yesterday when we returned to the MH I turned the water back on at the facet for the RV water connected at the coach, when I did water came out of the overflow valve located on the propane water heater port. I turned on the hot water in the coach and reduced the volume in the tank and turned the water supply back on.

The problem now is I have not had hot water since, I just went outside and manually lit the pilot to the heater. So it's now lit, but yet inside instill have a blinking green light on the rocker switch. What's am I missing here?

I have read the instructions front to back but not seeing their answer.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #2

What kind of heater and RV would be a big help. There should be a label on the water heater door or somewhere in the compartment. The model number might have the size in it too.

OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
If you found the gas works associated with the water heater, then, you just found the water heater!
They are a self contained unit, if it has an electric element, it could enter from either front or back, there is some variance in models.
If this has never worked before, you may need to re-set the winterizing valves to allow water to pass through the heat exchanger.
If it did work, and is not not providing hot water, suspect the check valve that is in the cold inlet line on the back side of the heater. Almost guarantee it will be next to impossible to get to.
Your water tank will probably feel warm, but, you can't get hot water...valve is usually plastic, about the size of your thumb, and on the cold water inlet. Stuck...it is supposed to keep you from filling the heater with antifreeze when you winterize. If you blow out your system, a better choice than antifreeze, you don't need it, yank it out, gut it, put the shell back in...keep us informed....
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

I went to the outside water heater again and pulled the electric connections and cleaned them and reconnected. For the moment it now works when I hit the water heater button it stays lit so for the moment it seems to be working.

Now do you keep the the water heater operating all the time when not traveling or once heated does one turn the water heater off?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I leave mine turned on when in camp during the day. Off when I go to bed.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I feel for you

I have a twin temp propane
with diesel loop
electric

and am still in the figure it out mode
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours is turned on as soon as we plug in and turned off when we break camp. I generally shower before bed, she after she gets up in the morning.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #8

Mine is gas only and I turn it on 15 minutes before a shower and off when done. There's still enough hot water for dishes, etc for quite a while.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #9

I'm trying to figure out how you're lighting it from the outside, as well as controlling it with the switch you're speaking of? Generally a coach the age of yours has an automatic ignition. You turn it on using a remote switch (like the one you're talking about) and if all goes well it lights itself? There's no pilot involved?

For options, including 110v operation and engine assist heating, you can locate the back of the heater on the inside of the coach. If you see 110v wiring (which may include a switch) on the back of your heater, you'll know it's capable of running on 110. If you see 2 big water lines (generally black) in addition to the cold water in/hot water out, you'll know you have engine assist. The function of each of those systems should be explained in your manual(s).
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #10

Is it possible to turn it on, run outside and catch it when it was trying to self light?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #11

That was a thought here too, but they were talking about a pilot light. Quite a bit of difference when compared to a main burner!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #12

It may have "looked" like a pilot light, but if it satisfied the I-am-lit sensor, it should stay lit.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #13

Have you seen the main burner running on a HWH lately? There's no high and low, when it's on it's ON! I don't know how you could mistake that roaring flame for a pilot light?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #14

I know, I know...

Tags
heater, water