Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Agree with what has been said but another factor is the water pump volume you have. The pump we had when we bought the coach was like a 2.3gpm pump. I replaced it with a 4gpm - so I can use our 10 gal tank in a few minutes if I have the water on full blast.
I thought flow rate was restricted by each individual fixture and not impacted by pump capacity. I know all the shower heads I've seen have a GPM rating on them.

I thought pump capacity was only an issue when using multiple fixtures at the same time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You have three things that will determine how long of a hot shower you can take when using a propane water heater.

-Water heater tank size, usually 6 gallon or 10 gallon

-Incoming water temp - in cold weather, use the warmer water in your tank.

-Shower head size - gallons per minute (Many like the Oxygenic shower head that injects air during use. It feels like the water pressure is higher than it is.)

Having an electric element really doesn't boost the water temperature during showers, but allows the water to reheat without using propane in between showers.

A propane water heater will not give you unlimited hot water during a shower, unless you have the water turned down to a really low setting, which would barely come out of the shower head.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
... I can have a "navy" shower very easily ...

I had to “google” this.
I thought that this phrase meant something else. Glad it didn’t.

[emoji106]
Old 02-26-2018, 03:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I thought flow rate was restricted by each individual fixture and not impacted by pump capacity. I know all the shower heads I've seen have a GPM rating on them.

I thought pump capacity was only an issue when using multiple fixtures at the same time.
I have restrictor on the sink but not the shower. We like a powerful shower.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
I had to “google” this.
I thought that this phrase meant something else. Glad it didn’t.

[emoji106]
Well our shower is big enough for Janet and me. We are a co-ed navy!!! LOL
Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Well our shower is big enough for Janet and me. We are a co-ed navy!!! LOL
Heh, I have a granddaughter that's the result of the co-ed Navy.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:06 AM   #21

Quote:
We have AquaHot and on electric both Janet and I can have a "navy" shower very easily. If the diesel burner is on the hot water keeps on coming.
Jointly or consecutively?
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:18 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We have 6 gallon propane only. The water is very hot. I can take a longish shower without the water getting cold. The pressure is not the same as at home but the length of my shower is close.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:33 AM   #23

What on Earth do you people do during your "long" showers all by yourself? I would get bored as as there is usually something else I have to do with my day.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Three answeres depending on your RV and a 4th weather based.

Your shower head likely is 2 GPM. now in the summer you likely use about a 50/50 mix of hot and cold. You use more HOT in the winter.

The three answers
Water heaters come in 3 flavors for RV use

1: Standard is six gallons so at 2gpm with a 50/50 mix that is 6 minutes.

2: Some rigs have either a 10 gallon or a "10 gallon in a six gallon hat" water heater (Atwood makes that last) so those you get 10 minutes.

3: A few have DEMAND heaters. Unlimited

Notes: With both electric (1500 watt) and Propane the recovery may be fast enough to extend that time a bit.

Use of a cut off valve (Many RV shower heads have 'em, Mine I added one) will allow you to soap up without water running so you can add a minute or two.. make sure the valve lets water DRIP however as if you cut it off hard you will get either a blast of HOT or COLD water when you restore flow, also if a hand held shower direct AWAY from you when you restore flow for a second or three.

DEMAND water heaters are Propane only But til you run out of either water or Propane.. they keep the hot water flowing.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You have three things that will determine how long of a hot shower you can take when using a propane water heater.

-Water heater tank size, usually 6 gallon or 10 gallon

-Incoming water temp - in cold weather, use the warmer water in your tank.

-Shower head size - gallons per minute (Many like the Oxygenic shower head that injects air during use. It feels like the water pressure is higher than it is.)

Having an electric element really doesn't boost the water temperature during showers, but allows the water to reheat without using propane in between showers.

A propane water heater will not give you unlimited hot water during a shower, unless you have the water turned down to a really low setting, which would barely come out of the shower head.
One more parameter that determines length of comfortable temp is thermostat setting of the heater. Hotter the water is to start more cold is added so reduces flow of hot from the heater.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:40 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENSHER View Post
One more parameter that determines length of comfortable temp is thermostat setting of the heater. Hotter the water is to start more cold is added so reduces flow of hot from the heater.
This is the reason that my showers feel almost endless if I want them to be. I also use the water pump most of the time versus city water. Pretty good pressure and long supply.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:42 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
What on Earth do you people do during your "long" showers all by yourself? I would get bored as as there is usually something else I have to do with my day.
I'm pretty sure a "long" shower in this context is 10 minutes or so. Still leaves plenty of time for the day. If the day includes hiking, biking, working out, etc. there's nothing like a long hot shower to end the day IMO.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
DEMAND water heaters are Propane only But til you run out of either water or Propane.. they keep the hot water flowing.
Very good answer except for above. Our coach has on demand but uses elec and or diesel for the heat. Elec alone is often not very hot but since same unit is used for heating coach it can be an option at times.

Tom

Tags
shower, water