Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hot water recirculating pump

I am considering installing a Watts hot water recirculating pump under the bathroom sink, the pump and the valve would fit...this would do two things, make the hot water appear at all hot faucets in just a couple of seconds and during freezing weather would serve to keep all pipes from freezing...I know I use one in my house...works great there.

-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #2

I'll assume the bathroom sink is the last faucet in the hot water line and you're able to install a return line to the hot water tank with the proper back flow valves.
As for preventing the cold lines from freezing, the cold lines would have to be in direct contact with the hot lines everywhere in the coach to do any good; and if you check I think you'll find that's not the way it's built.
JMHO: If your water bay, tanks and basement aren't heated and your trying to make your coach , four season living capable , I'd look into heating those areas first.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think there aw a discussion on these under the Thor Owners forum a while back. They are great getting hot water quickly, but may increase your hot water propane usage and probably will not protect against freezing water line.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hot water recirculating pump

Gramps..... I had a recirculator in my boat years ago, purely to avoid wasting water. It took a full 30-35 seconds for hot water to reach the galley sink, so I put a little pump on a return line and switched it at the sink. Hit the switch for 30 seconds before washing dishes or some such, and you'd have hot water right there with no waste. Didn't save any time, but saved a lot of water.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
I am considering installing a Watts hot water recirculating pump under the bathroom sink, the pump and the valve would fit...this would do two things, make the hot water appear at all hot faucets in just a couple of seconds and during freezing weather would serve to keep all pipes from freezing...I know I use one in my house...works great there.

I take it THIS System connects cold/hot lines under sink with a temp sening link between the 2 connections.
Then when HOT water cools the sensor opens and water is pumped back thru cold line to WH and HOT back out until sensor closes.
Then you have HOT at in the hot water lines and some WARM in the cold water lines (warm is not bad)

What powers pump...120V AC or 12V DC?
Is that power available?
Old 04-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I take it THIS System connects cold/hot lines under sink with a temp sening link between the 2 connections.
Then when HOT water cools the sensor opens and water is pumped back thru cold line to WH and HOT back out until sensor closes.
Then you have HOT at in the hot water lines and some WARM in the cold water lines (warm is not bad)

What powers pump...120V AC or 12V DC?
Is that power available?
The Watts pump I want to use is 120 volts and power is available...I would attach the pump to the hot side of the water heater in the same bay and a backflow valve (connecting hot to cold pipes) under one of the sinks inside the coach. If the cold water temp drops to 34 degrees or less the valve opens up and runs warm water thru the cold water side...thus the pipes don't freeze.....temps dropped in our area over the winter to 18 and the pipes in my house all stayed warm..both cold and hot and hot water hits the sink in just a few seconds.

The problem is dealing with stiff plastic pipes as opposed to flex ones under the sinks in the house...take a bit of manipulation.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Interesting, my friend just bought a new Winnebago motorhome with the truma hot water system which includes a hot water recirculator. When he turns on hot water it is almost instantaneous. I've been thinking of doing the same thing in my coach, I would love to know how it works out for you as well as what parts you wind up using.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
12 volt gas valve from an old Norcold.
Plumb to Hot side under sink
Dump back to the fresh water tank

gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water