Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #1

Hot water Reset Light came on why?

I am so new to Rving and I had the light on my reset button come on my hot water heater switch. I have no clue what I am supposed to do now. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by crochetlady
I am so new to Rving and I had the light on my reset button come on my hot water heater switch. I have no clue what I am supposed to do now. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to IRV 2. Sorry you're having this problem. If you can give some more information such as the make and model of your water heater and did this happen on the gas or electric mode it would be helpful.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It could mean that your water heater pilot blew out from the wind or an air pocket in the line.

Try shutting off the switch, counting to three, and turning it back on. You should hear the heater catch and the light should go right out.

Good luck
Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #4

Another welcome to irv2.com

If it happens when you try to use the propane gas mode and the light went off, then back on, it usually means the gas didn't light and you need to turn it off, then on again until it stays off. You should hear it come on with a whooshing sound. You first need to make sure the gas is turned on at the propane tank. It sometimes helps to light it if you first temporarily turn on a stove burner to purge the line of air and get the propane gas closer to the water heater. That is the way it worked on my 5er. It also had electric, but there was no light associated with it. They're not the same in all RVs. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochetlady View Post

As others have said, the light comes on because the gas failed to light. Just turn the switch off and back on to reset.

If the problem continues, there could be a problem with the burner or with the gas supply valve. Spiders sometimes build nests in the burner tube (there are air vents to allow air in for combustion), the air vents may not be adjusted properly, or the gas orifice could be dirty. These problems are fairly easily fixed, but they require some mechanical ability.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
True about the red light when you get three failed attempts on propane , with my Atwood. The red light will also illuminate on electric if the unit overheats the water ( so I'm told ). That's why I asked the questions that I posted in #2 above.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #7

Thanks all I left it for a while went back and turned it on and all worked. I appreciate your help!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my attwood from time to time it will do that. No known reason, Just turn it off and turn it back on.

I have had it fail 3 times in a row.

So far it's never failed 4 times in a row.

I suspect that in time it will fail all the time,, I have my reasons for suspecting this. Routain maintenance can sometimes fix that .. If not then it is the control board.

I do not have good things to say about Attwood's control boards either in their design or manufacturer.

Dionsaur boards (A company that by the way is based in the US) .. I had to replace an Attwood Furnace board and choose to go with one of theirs. The first thing I noticed when opening the box is how well it's made,, A very good feeling of quality, As I looked closer I noticed a design element or two missing from the attwood board.

I"m sold on Dino boards.

Tags
water