Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2020, 06:54 AM   #1

Hot water tank fill?

I was thinking about this, this morning. How does the hot water tank fill.
If I gravity fill the tank with a hose does it somehow fill the hot water tank as well? OR, does the water pump fill it up when you run the pump?
Thinking again, lol, when filling either straight into the fresh water tank or direct from city water, does it somehow fill the hot water tank?
I'm thinking the water pump has to do it either way, which means I should get that 10 gallons of water into the hot water tank before I hit the road. I could use a little more weight on that side anyway, RF.
Thank you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2020, 07:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
I was thinking about this, this morning. How does the hot water tank fill.
If I gravity fill the tank with a hose does it somehow fill the hot water tank as well? OR, does the water pump fill it up when you run the pump?
Thinking again, lol, when filling either straight into the fresh water tank or direct from city water, does it somehow fill the hot water tank?
I'm thinking the water pump has to do it either way, which means I should get that 10 gallons of water into the hot water tank before I hit the road. I could use a little more weight on that side anyway, RF.
Thank you.
Unless there's something different about your system, city water should fill the tank. Open the hot water faucet to vent the air, and let the water pressure fill the tank and push the air out until it stops burping.

No need to run the pump, though no harm in it other than a few extra gallons of wear and tear, and loss of that ten gallons from the fresh tank.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:24 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The pump or city water fills the HW tank.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:28 AM   #4

When you fill from city hook up the hot water tank fills first. I you fill your fresh water tank that water only goes into that tank. To fill the fill the hot water tank you have to use the water pump to fill it.
olly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly72 View Post
When you fill from city hook up the hot water tank fills first. I you fill your fresh water tank that water only goes into that tank. To fill the fill the hot water tank you have to use the water pump to fill it.
There is no FILLS FIRST situation here. ALL the water piping fills at the same time no matter weather you you use city water or use the pump. You MUST release the Over pressure valve at the top of the WH to fill it with water!

The fresh water tank fills by direct fill on some RV's or by turning a valve while hooked to city water.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
When you GRAVITY fill the water tank the water only goes in to the fresh water tank. To get water in the water heater you'll need to run the pump, and probably open a faucet on the hot water side while doing so to let air out of the tank and lines.

When you fill from the 'city water' hookup, that pressurizes the lines the same as the water pump, so water will go in to the water heater at that point. Again, likely best to open a faucet to let air out.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
When you GRAVITY fill the water tank the water only goes in to the fresh water tank. To get water in the water heater you'll need to run the pump, and probably open a faucet on the hot water side while doing so to let air out of the tank and lines.

When you fill from the 'city water' hookup, that pressurizes the lines the same as the water pump, so water will go in to the water heater at that point. Again, likely best to open a faucet to let air out.

Agree with this
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:14 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Water tank fills from either the pump or shore connection.
Do NOT open the pressure relief valve on the water heater and fill the tank full. You need that air bubble in the tank to even out pressure fluctuations and cut down on pump run time. It's the same as your stick house water heater or well pump tank. They all have an air space in them. Read the owners manual to verify my statement.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Water tank fills from either the pump or shore connection.
Do NOT open the pressure relief valve on the water heater and fill the tank full. You need that air bubble in the tank to even out pressure fluctuations and cut down on pump run time. It's the same as your stick house water heater or well pump tank. They all have an air space in them. Read the owners manual to verify my statement.

EXACTLY^^^^

Opening the T&P Releif Valve will cause the 'air gap' at top of tank to be discharged/lost.
W/O air gap the T&P can weep during heating cycles---water swells when heated.
Air Gap helps control pressure increases when water swells from heating

City water & Pump discharge supply water to SAME cold water line which then feeds water to WH Tank
City water does it directly
Pump uses water from fresh water tank to supply plumbing system

Open a faucet hot side to allow the air in WH Tank to be displaced and water will fill WH Tank whether using City Water or using Fresh water tank & pump

Generic/basic RV plumbing

Air Gap
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #10

You guys are the Best. Thank you. I don't know why I didn't ask this question a long time ago. It just popped into my head.
That's a great diagram Old Biscuit. I will print that one out, thanks.
Mr. D. Did you get your rig fixed up from being stuck? From what I read, a lot of damage happened. Sticky note in my head on that one.
Again all, thank you very much for your replies, much appreciated.
Have a Good One!!
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #11

I just did this today getting ready for the next trip. I do this same procedure before every trip if it's been sitting a while.

I opened the T&P valve to let the pressure out (a little water comes out too) and then removed the anode/plug and drained the tank. Then I used a wand and flushed out the tank. The Anode still looked almost new so I put some anti-seize on the threads of the anode and put it back in.
I then connected my white hose to the spigot, set the selector switch to City Water and turned on the spigot. I put my ear to the open T&P valve periodically and could hear the tank filling. After 10 gals (or so), water started coming out of the T&P and I closed it. IMO there is still the bubble above the T&P - I've never had a problem doing it this way.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I just did this today getting ready for the next trip. I do this same procedure before every trip if it's been sitting a while.

After 10 gals (or so), water started coming out of the T&P and I closed it. IMO there is still the bubble above the T&P - I've never had a problem doing it this way.

That is KEY......
If T&P is open and water allowed to RUN then Air Gap can be forced out

Opening a faucet hot side will bleed air out and NOT disrupt the Air Gap
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water