Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Hot waters faucets

I have a 2002 Winnebago Journey 36 dl.
Last winter I developed a leak in one of my 144-1-3 water Directo Valve Electrically operated metered by-pass control valve. I ordered a replacement from Agrimart in Ohio. It arrived I installed it and none of my hot water faucets will produce water. I took the new one out and put the leaking one back in same thing. Any ideas of what might be the problem?

charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #2

Just a WAG here. Does your coach have a large water heater like maybe a 16 gallon equivalent? A lot of these heaters heat the water to very hot, then temper the water with cold water. That way a smaller 10 gallon heater can seemly give much larger quantities of hot water.

All that to say, there may be a mixing valve just behind the water heater. This mixing valve has a long history of clogging and essentially blocking the flow of the hot water.

Worth checking out.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I will keep that in mind. There appears to be air in the hot water lines that I can't seem to bleed off. Its sucking air somewhere. More tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Hot Water Faucets

Update: I put the new Directo valve back on and if I hit the by-pass valve to by-pass the hot water heater I can get cold water through the hot side of all the faucets, I'm wondering if I have a bad new Directo valve, or the hot water tank is not allowing hot water out to the faucets. The heater did heat the water.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

When the water was drained from the waterlines in order for you to replace the part, the hot water tank also drained most of its contents. When turning on the city water again, you have to move quite a bit of air out of the system including a lot of air that was in the HW tank. This can take a couple of minutes or longer. Cold water will start flowing first, water through the hot water tank later because there is more air to displace.

BTW never turn on the hot water power supply until AFTER the HW tank is full.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Update 2: I switched the inlet and outlet on the directo valve and now I have a slight trickle of warm water in the bathroom hot faucet. It never gets more than a trickle even after 15 minutes.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Hot Water Faucets

Update 2: I switched the inlet and outlet on the directo valve and now I have a slight trickle of warm water in the bathroom hot faucet. It never gets more than a trickle even after 15 minutes.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie2 View Post
The hot water heater may have a check valve in the line out of the water heater. This check valve may have gone bad and is obstructing flow. It is usually installed just on the back of the water heater. You should be able to get a replacement at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
I have a 2002 Winnebago Journey 36 dl.
Last winter I developed a leak in one of my 144-1-3 water Directo Valve Electrically operated metered by-pass control valve. I ordered a replacement from Agrimart in Ohio. It arrived I installed it and none of my hot water faucets will produce water. I took the new one out and put the leaking one back in same thing. Any ideas of what might be the problem?
charlie2
I suspect a check valve, (aka: back flow preventer), in a water line on the back of your water heater has failed.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...flow+preventer
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Hot Water Faucest

Thank you to Freedom Dream and Mel S. It was indeed both check valves the one on the back of the heater and the one on the hot line in the wet bay. Have hot water throughout all faucets now and new by-pass valve is operating as is designed.
It took the DW and myself 5 days of hard work and being a contortionist but still better than paying than paying a RV Tech.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Thank you to Freedom Dream and Mel S. It was indeed both check valves the one on the back of the heater and the one on the hot line in the wet bay. Have hot water throughout all faucets now and new by-pass valve is operating as is designed.
It took the DW and myself 5 days of hard work and being a contortionist but still better than paying than paying a RV Tech.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:00 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by charlie2 Thank you to Freedom Dream and Mel S. It was indeed both check valves the one on the back of the heater and the one on the hot line in the wet bay. Have hot water throughout all faucets now and new by-pass valve is operating as is designed.

Tags
water