Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 05:32 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
House and chassis batteries-will they freeze?

My house batteries are AGM's, and my chassis batteries are whatever came with my 2013 Fleetwood Discovery on Freightliner chassis.

As i mentally plan out my to-do list for winterization...the batteries.

I don't have access to any elec where I am storing it... can't keep it plugged in all winter long.

Assuming that I store it with batteries fully charged and with all elec off, will they freeze during winter? Or will I be ok???

Ugh. Didn't have to do this in TX...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 05:50 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
They will probably be dead by the end of winter and potentially have frozen. If you can't plug in, then your best bet is to remove the batteries from the coach and store them in your garage with a trickle charger. Make sure the batteries are not sitting directly on the concrete floor as the cold floor can deaden them as well.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:40 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 ^^
Old 10-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
My house batteries are AGM's, and my chassis batteries are whatever came with my 2013 Fleetwood Discovery on Freightliner chassis.

I don't have access to any elec where I am storing it... can't keep it plugged in all winter long.

Assuming that I store it with batteries fully charged and with all elec off, will they freeze during winter? Or will I be ok???

Stat geek- not sure where you are, but here in minneapolis winter can get ... cold. I take the approach of going out to the unit periodically and running the generator to make sure the batteries are topped off/ near fully charged (this also has the advantage of exercising the genny - turn on the block heater and run a portable electric space heater to increase the load on the generator). If the cells are nearly fully charged they have no problems with freezing even at -20 or -30 (sic).

The batteries that came with my 2012 Expedition were wet cells. By experience I found they would lose significant charge in 2-4 weeks. I had always suspected though that they were damaged and this caused the significant depletion. I found out the hard way that the DO freeze if allowed to discharge (my fault .. somehow I forgot to throw the battery disconnect switch). I replaced them with AGM's and I LOVE them. With the disconnect switch they barely lose any charge even after 4 weeks or more. With that timeframe known, I go out to the unit every 4 weeks or so and just run the genny as I said above. No problems with freezing even at coldest temperatures
Old 10-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #5

Yes

Yes
Old 10-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #6

In three Maine winters of my coach being stored in an unheated warehouse with no electricity, my batteries haven't frozen. There is some load on my chassis battery, even with the disconnects switched off. The chassis battery went flat, but there was enough charge in the house batteries to start up in the Spring, using the boost switch.

Last winter, I disconnected the ground terminal of the chassis battery and left it in place. In the Spring, I reconnected the ground and started it up on the chassis battery.

Living in rural Maine for nearly all of my life, I've seen many vehicles left in the cold for months without the batteries freezing. It does happen, but it's rare - only when the battery is totally dead.

In my opinion If a battery is charged, is in good condition (no internal shorts) and is disconnected, it should survive the winter in the cold.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #7

My toys are generally stored with batteries in place after fully servicing them (making sure the water level is correct) and fully charging them. This is the trick I'm thinking. To avoid residual drain, I disconnect the negative cable.

This is in SE Mi. and yes, it gets pretty cold here as well.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:22 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We do the same thing as MN Traveler. Find a dry day to drive it out on the road and dream of Spring/Summer. Exercise the generator by putting a load on it. Even though winterized, you will have propane available for your furnace. Sometimes we take a DVD out to the coach and watch a DVD while running the generator and putting a load on it (portable heater, hair dryer, hot pot).

Use the salesmen switches as well as the battery disconnect. Batteries full and charged, then you're ok. If it is way below zero, we will go out more frequently then every four weeks. We did freeze our batteries the first year we had our 2010 motorhome but we had it winterized by our dealer (the only time we did) and the batteries were run down quite low by them. By the time we were able to get out to the storage lot to rev it up, they were toast. Dealership accepted responsibility and replaced them.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:

Good white paper to read. Trojan Battery Company White Paper on Deep Cycle Battery Storage

To summarize, the better your batteries are charged the colder it has to get for the electrolyte to freeze. It will take at least 12 weeks for batteries 100 percent charged stored with no load to lose half their charge, at which point their freezing temp will start to become higher than 0 F. I suggest you check the RV while stored at least every 6 weeks. Connect the batteries. Start the RV chassis engine and let run for 15 minutes. Start the RV generator and let run for 15 minutes. This will circulate fluids and boost charge on batteries.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
House and chassis batteries-will they freeze?

Thanks guys. Consensus seems that I need to run generator and top them off once a month or so.

Here's the rub though--i have also read elsewhere on this forum that you really should NOT start your chassis engine or generator over the winter. Some sources believe this just forces those engines to start and run cold, and unless you REALLY exercise them hard, they never really get up to temp, which is bad for the fuel systems. I have also read that your diesel tank needs to be F-U-L-L all winter long, so full that guys that do run their engine(s) occasionally show up with a small tank of fuel to put in the tank every time.

That's a bit of a pain in the toad!

I guess you either do it all out, or pick the lesser risk...
Old 10-14-2016, 08:13 AM   #11

Count me with those with the "don't exercise" mind set.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks guys. Consensus seems that I need to run generator and top them off once a month or so.

Here's the rub though--i have also read elsewhere on this forum that you really should NOT start your chassis engine or generator over the winter. Some sources believe this just forces those engines to start and run cold, and unless you REALLY exercise them hard, they never really get up to temp, which is bad for the fuel systems. I have also read that your diesel tank needs to be F-U-L-L all winter long, so full that guys that do run their engine(s) occasionally show up with a small tank of fuel to put in the tank every time.

That's a bit of a pain in the toad!

I guess you either do it all out, or pick the lesser risk...

I just run the generator ... not the coach engine. I also make sure there is a load on it (battery chargers, turn on the engine block heater, run an electric space heater). You can HEAR the load come onto the genny. A cup of coffee, a couple of book chapters, or some tv lets an hour or an hour and a half go by. That genny is more than up to temperature. Doing that say four times during the winter and the loss of diesel fuel from the coach's tank is nil.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I just run the generator ... not the coach engine. I also make sure there is a load on it (battery chargers, turn on the engine block heater, run an electric space heater). You can HEAR the load come onto the genny. A cup of coffee, a couple of book chapters, or some tv lets an hour or an hour and a half go by. That genny is more than up to temperature. Doing that say four times during the winter and the loss of diesel fuel from the coach's tank is nil.
Yea.. I think that's the right approach. It'll be my personal "man-cave" a few times per year, when I pretend like I'm camping!

I wouldn't be so opposed to removing my batteries and bringing them home if I had a battery tray slide-out. Unfortunately I do not, and since I installed my house batteries myself, I already know what a royal pain it is getting those heavy AGM's in and out. (Not to mention having to do so while avoiding the sharp screws protruding from the ceiling above the batteries!)
Old 10-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If you exercise the Gen as recommended by the manufacturer you will bring the Gen' s motor up to operating temperature. By doing so you will top off the house batteries and maybe the chassis also. If not a jumper of some type, commercial or just a temporary wire between will work. Now the batteries a tee fine and will not freeze.

LEN

Tags
batteries, chassis