Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #1

House batteries

I know lot of people have their own choice when it comes to batteries, but... here goes my question: We have 07 Diplomat with original house batteries, I have to replace them finally and I am very interested at peoples choices when it comes to quality. Batteries have to be 6 Volt golf cart batteries, Id like to get maybe a gel fill or sealed, any suggestions? Thanks to all and happy travels!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have always had very good luck with Interstate Battery. Good quality and great warranty service. I own many trucks and have construction equipment in my business, as well as motor home and son's TT. Everything has Interstate.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As they say, opinions are like - well you know the rest..... I just replaced my batteries and after significant research I determined for wet cell, the Trojan T-105 was a favorite of the RV crowd. I can see why. They were also the best documented brand I found as far as specs, etc.

Make sure you have a quality converter/charger to go with them or you will prematurely kill any battery, no matter how good it is.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautkamper

Make sure you have a quality converter/charger to go with them or you will prematurely kill any battery, no matter how good it is.
Good advise! To be more precise, get a Progressive Dynamics or IOTA 3 stage charger with a de-sulfation mode. Trojans are my first choice and Interstate U2200s as a close second. Wouldn't have a Gel or AGM in my coach.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Get batteries from a retailer who sells a lot to folks that use them like you do and will stand behind what he sells. The go by specifications, warranty, and price.

Batteries are commodity items with mature technologies and manufacturing in a competitive and large market. Variances in the line of a particular manufacturer are generally larger than between brands. Your battery satisfaction will have more to do with the equipment you use to charge and maintain you batteries and your use practices than anything else. (ditto clyon51 an equipment suggestions)

As for battery type, GEL is usually not considered the best bet for RV applications. A lot of folks like AGM's but they are generally rather expensive. If you have good equipment and use it properly, the maintenance needs of wet cells are not significant.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check Sams or Costco.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just replaced my 9Ĺ year old Interstate U-2200's with four more of the same. No reason to change to anything else. Even after tha long they were still doing pretty well. We were headed out for a couple weeks and I didn't want trouble on the road.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'd assume you have 4 interstate 2200's (if original) charged by a magnum 2012 converter/inverter.

No good reason to change, the 2200's are good batteries. When I replace mine, it will bbe with Trojan T105's from the custom golf cart store down the street. Won't be a bargain, but will be fresh new batteries, the best there is.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bad choices from worst to good
Gel
Optima
AGM (other than optima)
Maintence free
Flooded wet cell

Gel's are really not suited to RV use, IN fact it's getting hard to find them because AGM is way superior to Gel in just about every way. And Gel has NO advantages over AGM

That said for RV use there is no point in AGM either, The big advantage of AGM is they do not have a "This Side Up" sticker, you can lay 'em on their side, or end or any old angle even upside down (Same with Gel) so.. When was the last time you layed your RV on it's side?

Maintence free is way less expensive than AGM, and other than "This side up" Like AGM it is a sealed valve regulated lead acid battery, Recombantant type. all the features of AGM save for the "This side up" thing.

However, if you don't mind cleaning and occasionally watering, NOTHING beats Flooded wet cells price wise. Nothing.

Capacities: Save for Optima, which has 60% the capacity of other batteries. Almost equal across the types. Very very close.

12 volt DEEP CYCLE batteries are used by Club Car as I recall (One of the two biggies) in their golf cars and low speed vehicles. So you can find 'em now, Fairly easily. But the six volt pairs still give more bang for the buck.

My Intruder is an '05, The house batteries (interstate U-2200 or Six Volt GC-2 format pair) are the original.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
If you want the best, then go with AGM batteries,
Lifeline, Deka by East Penn, or comparable.
Like your grandma told you, you get what you pay for....
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
If you want the best, then go with AGM batteries,
Lifeline, Deka by East Penn, or comparable.
Like your grandma told you, you get what you pay for....
They're good, if you can't get to them for service or you need to mount them upside down, otherwise they're a waste of money for RV use.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I use Trojan, flooded cell, lead-acid batteries for coach batteries and an Iota Smart Charger and a BatteryMINDer desulfating unit.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
They're good, if you can't get to them for service or you need to mount them upside down, otherwise they're a waste of money for RV use.
A big Ditto!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Costco

I replaced all four of my 6V Interstates with Kirkland (Costco) batteries. They were $89 each (VS $200+ each for Trojans). Kirkland batteries are made by Johnson Controls. I've been using nothing but Kirkland batteries for years and have never been disappointed.

Tags
batteries