Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
House batteries

Nearly 5 years ago I replaced the old house batteries with two Deka DP27 marine/RV batteries from my local NAPA store. I noticed they weren't holding a charge very well anymore so I went battery shopping. Within a mile of each other we have a NAPA dealer and a Discount Battery store.

Had a lengthy discussion with the Discount store guy. They carried Deka, Interstate and Trojan (golf cart). Considered going to the Trojan golf cart batteries, but we don't dry camp at all, we just need enough capacity to get us through a night at Wal-Mart with a CPAP machine running. Life cycle cost probably would have slightly favored the Trojans, but I would have spent nearly another $70 for two. He said the Trojans were a 5-7 year battery where the Deka were 3-5 year. I had good luck with an Interstate in my boat, but they are built in Mexico whereas the Deka's are built in the US. That carries some weight with me. Looked at the Deka deep cycle (DC27) but didn't really see a cost vs benefit advantage there so I stayed with the Deka DP27 but got them for $100 each at the local NAPA dealer, $10 cheaper than Discount Battery.

NAPA tested my old batteries and they were down to between 10-20% of original capacity.

The engine battery is also a Deka, but a maintenance free starting battery, it is still working fine and is now 7 years old. Probably not long for that one either, but with the battery boost feature, I won't be stranded and not able to start.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Interstate is not a battery manufacturer - they just put their label on batteries they buy elsewhere. Where their batteries are made depends on what type & size of battery you choose. Interstate 6v golf cart batteries, for example, are US made by US Battery (last I knew, anyway). Deka is the house brand name for batteries made by East Penn Mfg, one of the largest US battery makers. Trojan is a top tier specialty battery maker on the US. Maybe more quality than you need.

I would have no qualms about the Interstate golf cart batteries. If you got 5 years from a marine type, you should get 8-10 from a GC2 golf cart battery, regardless of who made it. GC2's are really rugged deep cycles.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
but we don't dry camp at all, we just need enough capacity to get us through a night at Wal-Mart with a CPAP machine running.
That would definitely count as dry camping.

One tip for your CPAP machine, in case you don't know: look to see if it has a DC input option, many can run directly off of 12 volts. That will be much more efficient and will use less power than running it from an inverter. An inverter wastes some power going from 12V to 120V, and then the CPAP power supply wastes some more power going from 120V back down to the DC that it uses internally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I would have no qualms about the Interstate golf cart batteries. If you got 5 years from a marine type, you should get 8-10 from a GC2 golf cart battery, regardless of who made it. GC2's are really rugged deep cycles.
Agreed. I got 8 years out of the Interstate GC2 batteries that came from the factory. And that is with a lot of dry camping and perhaps not the most fastidious battery care. They still had a good amount of capacity, but were starting to show their age and they were starting to have trouble running the furnaces and inverter for 10 hours overnight. I probably could've squeezed another year or two out of them, but I had no qualms replacing them with new Interstates this year.

There are purists who turn their noses up at Interstate and will only use Trojan or better, but they are not the ones spending the money on your batteries! For them, money is apparently no object, but for me, it is.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We got the CPAP 12 volt thing going, just needed a new cord. I know the new batteries will serve me well, but having second thoughts that maybe I should have spent a few more bucks for the golf cart batteries. Well, there is always next time.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries