Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

House Batteries

We need to replace our house batteries we have 8 6 volts, Question, what are the best batt out there today ?

Thoughts
RT 41

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Best" is a relative term...you can upgrade to AGM and even Li technology.

We changed to the Interstate GC2 from CostCo* for only $88 each. CostCo has a high turn-over of product, so risk is lower for old/stale batteries on the shelf.
And CostCo's warranty is good.
*We are not affiliated.

These are good ol' reliable lead/acid wet cells. There's no issues for matching/changing the charger and they simply fit in the OEM mount.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #3

Trojan has some higher capacity 6v wet cells as well as gel AGM. They may be worth a look noting the height grows with increasing capacity so you may or may not be able to fit the taller models. Will be following as mine will need replacement in the spring.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends. What attributes constitute best to you? Purchase cost, length of service, capacity, maintenance are all factors. What kind of camping do you do - dry camping, always with hookups, etc? Do you want to avoid adding water and cleaning?

Myself I want the tall AGM batteries next time for added dry camping capacity and reduced maintenance. However, I am also pretty cheap so may well go with inexpensive wet batteries from Costco. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Battery life

I am looking for service time , and dry camping ability, we have 650 watts of solar, we installed Interstates 2 year ago but they are going south.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should be getting much more than two years of service from interstate wet batteries if they have been maintained and with a good charger. I would suggest to evaluate why just two years of life so as to mitigate a repeat performance with a new set of batteries.

As to replacement wet batteries I have had excellent experience with Trojan 105's. Currently have Interstate GC2 that are still providing good service at six years old.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
You should be getting much more than two years of service from interstate wet batteries if they have been maintained and with a good charger. I would suggest to evaluate why just two years of life so as to mitigate a repeat performance with a new set of batteries.

As to replacement wet batteries I have had excellent experience with Trojan 105's. Currently have Interstate GC2 that are still providing good service at six years old.
Agree on figuring out why your getting only 2 years out of the Interstate batts. I have 2 of the 6 volt Interstates that are 5 years old and still running strong. I have a golf cart with Trojan batteries also going on 5 years old. Trojans are a safe bet. When it's time to replace my Interstates I have the choices narrowed down to the Costco GC2 or the Trojans T-105. I can get the Trojans locally for $129 each. I plan to get 4 so the difference from the Costco Batteries is $164 more for 4 Trojan T-105. Seems worth it for the Trojans.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #8

FYI: Prices for Trojans are generally good in big golfing areas because of all the golf carts.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #9

If you want the best, get the 300 amp AGM Lifeline batteries. Eight would get you 1200 amps. No maintenance, no corrosion, no mess.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:29 AM   #10

Agree with finding out what happened on the only 2 years. (Though I know sometimes this can be self inflicted!)

The rest comes down to the math on how much your willing to spend. A few comments:

> Assume this is two tays of 4 batteries each? If so then you could have a restriction on headroom(?).

> Assume the Travel Supreme has a sophisticated enough charging system to support AGM's(?).

> You don't mention the controller with our solar panel, but hopefully it to can handle AGM's(?).

> As mentioned AGM Lifelines are one way to go. Fullriver is also obtaining fans, at lower buy in point. As you know, and as mentioned, AGM's provide you with zero maintenance and also can be recharged faster. (Mention the recharge faster, due to the stated intention to improve boon docking. Faster recharge, can get you back to 100% possibly with all solar. Or AM generator, and then top off with solar.)

> If you decide budget wise you'd prefer to stay with wet cells. Then Trojans would be my first choice. And, I'd include a water management system at the same time, if you don't already have one.

> Regardless of whether AGM or Wet, get your battery tray dimensions, and available headroom. And then check the charts of the battery manufactures for which of the batteries will fit into the locations. (For example, if staying with wet cells, and you have enough headroom - Trojan T145's will fit in the same foot print as the T105's - and provide more AH capacity. On the AGM's, say Lifelines. And you have the room for them the L16's are a beast of a battery, and have close to the same foot print as many normal 6V's.

It really is a matter of your current, or if you want to spend more coin, modified battery compartment space. The rest is just doing the math on battery dimensions to see what will fit. And, how much you want to spend!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty

(Note: We do have X's 4 Lifeline L16's, in place of our OEM X's 2 8D's. 800AH's. Our 1200 Watts of solar, does a pretty good job of keeping them charged during dry camping. Been happy with these combo's for the last 4 or so years now. When they go? I'll swap over to lithium, and keep the same 800 AH size, but due to lower discharge rates of the lithium's this will be close to a 75% increase in my useable SOC.)

Tags
batteries, house batteries