Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
The one that has the chassis lead going to it. The negative end of your battery series.
Yes. See attached drawing.
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
No, you need to put it on the negative lead that goes to the chassis ground. That way all of the batteries are isolated .
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
I store my motorhome in a heated facility for 4 months in the winter. I keep it plugged in. Is this detrimental to the batteries? Should I discommect and have them put maintainers on them?
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post
I store my motorhome in a heated facility for 4 months in the winter. I keep it plugged in. Is this detrimental to the batteries? Should I discommect and have them put maintainers on them?
Good question...
Ocean Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have an intelligent/smart charter (3 or 4 stage charger) there is no concern with leaving it plugged in. The smart chargers drop the charge rate and voltage down to 0/13.2V on float stage.

I am on tablet so cannot see your signature and thus if you have a motorhome with combination inverter/charger - these are all smart chargers.

This is better than disconnecting batteries and putting minders on them, IMHO.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #20

Quote:
I also Park inside and have had mine plugged in 27/7 unless we are traveling. My batteries are going on 7 years and doing well. Just make sure to check the water level every 6-8 weeks and you'll be fine.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
thanks for all the answers. I'll keep it plugged in. Yes it has a good charging system. Unfortunately, after 1 1/2 years 3 out of 4 batteries are bad. I'm replacing now. So was checking what everyone does. The batteries were supplied by Worlwide batteries out of Indianapolis. They are absolutely one of the worst people I ever dealt with. Battery warranty starts at manufacture date!!. I had a 3 month warranty!

Anyway I got new golf cart interstate batteries from Costco. I want to be sure I get more than 1 1/2 years life out of these.
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #22

I keep my rig plugged in 27/7. Today just replaced my 4 house 6 volt bats that I had installed in April of 09. They actually were still fine but figured it was time. Just take care of what you have.
Woody57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
If you have an intelligent/smart charter (3 or 4 stage charger) there is no concern with leaving it plugged in. The smart chargers drop the charge rate and voltage down to 0/13.2V on float stage.

I am on tablet so cannot see your signature and thus if you have a motorhome with combination inverter/charger - these are all smart chargers.

This is better than disconnecting batteries and putting minders on them, IMHO.

Brian

Touch his screen name and it will take you to his signature and other options
Old 07-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxroi View Post
I store my RV with no access to electricity. I hit the disconnects when I leave the coach. I can't be the only one that is a battery slave that needs to come down once a week to run the generator for 20 minutes, or am I?

Why with hitting the battery disconnects does the draw take the 4 6V batteries down below 12.2 Volts? I don't see anybody else running their generator.

When storing outside, my solar panels keep all my batteries charged daily.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
thanks for all the answers. I'll keep it plugged in. Yes it has a good charging system. Unfortunately, after 1 1/2 years 3 out of 4 batteries are bad. I'm replacing now. So was checking what everyone does. The batteries were supplied by Worlwide batteries out of Indianapolis. They are absolutely one of the worst people I ever dealt with. Battery warranty starts at manufacture date!!. I had a 3 month warranty!

Anyway I got new golf cart interstate batteries from Costco. I want to be sure I get more than 1 1/2 years life out of these.
I would check the charge settings in your inverter panel for proper setup. Improper setting could have killed the other ones.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #26

The house batteries (4 6v) went bad in my RV. My RV technician recommended that I replace them with 2 automotive type batteries since a previous owner had removed the inverter. So far, this has been working out very well. If I ever get another inverter, I would not use 6v batteries. Instead I will use either 2 8D or 2 4D commercial 12v batteries. Also, when my current chassis (starting) batteries need to be replaced I will replace them with 1 8D battery. I used to have a 49' Grand Banks trawler and this is the battery configuration it had with a 2000 watt Heart Inverter. Those batteries lasted 8 years! I don't understand the 6v battery preference. They are costly and don't last that well. IMHO.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Your Grand Banks was always plug into shore power though. All i could ever get out of my wet cells were 3 yrs. and I took care of them and I was plugged into shore power. They were only on a converter charger.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my boat had batteries replace every three years. the six volt batteries often overcharged with the heart inverter. I'm not a big fan off that product. My staring batteries on the other hand were the biggest deep cycle agm and they are now 12 years old. they spent the first 4 years or so starting my 454's instantly. when We sold the old tub and switched to a MH. I put them in the MH. They are still in there and still start my ISB instantly. I mean 3-4 seconds.

now for my house batteries. I use 4 6 volt flood batter. golf carts. The are charged by a progress multi stage charger, converter that has the wizard attached. They go through an equalization daily and never really need water.

Previously I tried 12 volt deep cycle and the suck. Found that one shorted out and took out the other too. just a bad scene. My GC batteries are now at least 4 years old and work just great.

I am not one to argue with success.

Tags
batteries, house batteries