RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #1

House batteries

2007 Country Star 3910.
Recently noticed my house battery status panel shows bulk charging more often than float charging when plugged into pedestal. Status bars show full charge. Everything works perfectly on 12v. Is this normal ?
Electric is not my forte .
Thanks for any comments.

Jlferg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #2

I don't have a clue how old your house batteries are... as batteries age, they shed plate material that sort of drifts to the bottom of each cell... the cells are intentionally mounted off the bottom of the battery case so that this material doesn't short out and make part of the cell worthless... in the same manner this sloughing off of material means that the cell over time will loose capacity...

As we move from basic lead/acid batteries to batteries with other chemicals in the plates, they tend to be better built and hold the shape of the plate better.... in addition they usually have more resistance and will take longer to charge...

That said... you might want to find a good digital volt meter and monitor the charging voltage... in most cases, charging voltage today is around 13.8 volts, some systems are higher, some are lower... in days past we used to see 14.2-14.4 from the engine alternator but with modern controls this just isn't the case.... and with the modern chemicals in the battery and the lower charging voltage we don't see much fluid escaping from the battery in the form of vapor and boiling...

Most batteries have a date code sticker on the battery so you can tell the age of the batteries... rest assured that your 07 coach has had the batteries changed a few times over the years... IF you have more than ONE and you find one is bad... you need to change them as a set... if you find that you have... lets say 2 or 3 and one was changed but the other wasn't based on the date code.... batteries that are in different stages in their lives don't play well together in the sand box...

I'm sorry that I can't be more specific as I just don't have enough information other than a simple over view of batteries... my best guess is that you have some older batteries.... the cells have/are starting to decline and the overall resistance of the battery is declining which means at the same charging voltage a higher current passing through the battery to charge it... based on OHM's LAW...

Old 02-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #3

Thanks for the insight. I forgot to mention the batteries were all replaced 2 years ago. The originals lasted 8 years.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't have a clue! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If I'm plugged in to 30A or 50A, I may see the charger in bulk charge when I first plug in. Once my batteries have made it thru the cycles to float charge, or full charge, I'll never see bulk charge again, untill I've disconnected shore power for a while.
So, in my opinion, I think you've got some kind of issue.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If the charger stays in bulk mode for lengthy periods, that usually means the voltage is not coming up the way it should to allow a shift into aborption and then float modes. Many newer charges have a max time limit on bulk mode, but some designs just keep pushing the amps in.

The usual reason for a lengthy bulk mode is a bad cell in one battery. That cells drags the overall voltage down and the charger keeps on trying to charge. If it's a flooded cell battery, check each cell with a battery hydrometer. And yes, a two year old battery can develop a bad cell.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #7

Went out and tested with a hydrometer. Found one battery with a dead cell an a cell showing charging. Everything else showed floating. Shut down the system for 10 minutes and restarted. Absorbtion charge lit for about an hour. Currently shows system is on float and batteries full. I am planning to pick up a battery and do the replacement if the system shows other than float. Does this make any sense ?

Thanks again !
Old 02-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep.

That one dead cell is bringing down your whole battery bank.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #9

Believe you guys nailed it for me. System just hit bulk charge. Itz's off
Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #10

Oops, it's off to Sams tomorrow.
Thanks a bunch.

Tags
batteries, house batteries