Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
House batteries draining?

Hi all,

House disconnect power off
Chassis disconnect power off
On/Off switch beside Magnum inverter is on
Not on shore power
3 weeks later in storage
Chassis batteries fine at 12v
House batteries at 5v

Should the inverter switch be "off" as well?

What did I miss that caused house batteries to drain? They are brand new (all six of them)

Brian & Nicola
2013 Discovery 40E "DISCO"
TOAD 2014 Wrangler
MiG & Xeena(German Shepards)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Too many "constant on" things. Wired as "constant on", they will continue to require power, ie, clocks[ even tho the "dial" is off they still need power], LP & CO detector, Maybe even the light in the fridge does not go off when door is closed. Another is a bad off switch for an outside compartment. Lite stays on after door is closed. Good luck, let us know what you found.

Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brian--yes, the inverter switch should be off. It is one of those "constant drain" items unless it is turned off. If the batteries had a good charge, I wouldn't have expected them to drain so quickly with just the inverter on, though. Have you checked the water level in them?

When I cut the main/aux batteries off, even the propane detector light goes OFF. The carbon monoxide detector has a battery backup, but I know the 12V is cut off. Of course, we have a Bounder but I think when the house main is off, then all our 12V stuff is off. We have been storing our Bounder like this for several months at a time for over 2 years and never had our batteries drain.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Gotta ask.... why do you leave the inverter on?

That will power most (if not all) of your 120vac items from your house batteries. Unless you really need those things to stay functioning, turn the inverter off.

Even the inverter will draw amperage from your batteries when it is not powering ANY 120v items.

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The Inverter needs to be off. I learned that the hard way - the inverter really drains the batteries even if everything is off that it would have supplied power to. (refrigerator, tv. etc.)
Lynn & Dan Hochradel, & fur kid Carl
2015 Entegra Anthem 44B, Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
DebbieMH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all!
I went down to Disco and started fresh.
Battery disconnects were off
Inverter was off according to the little LCD screen, but switch between batteries and inverter was on. Have to assume inverter was off
Starting batteries full voltage
House batteries 4.5v 0amps
Had to start MH to start generator
Turned on inverter from LCD screen
Generator ran for a few minutes, then quit "error code 22" (Exceed max duty)
Checked all house batteries (which are brand new) and each one needed about 3/4 liter of water, batteries filled
Plugged in to shore power
Starting disconnect off
House disconnect on
LCD shows charging and amp draw 70 (I assume amps charging?)
Inverter is set for 50% charge and 800AH
I have six 6 volt interstates for house batteries

So I think when they installed new batteries, they didn't check water level and weren't fully charged from the start. Will go back down at the end of the day and see where she is at.

I still haven't got all these automatic things figured out!
Brian & Nicola
2013 Discovery 40E "DISCO"
TOAD 2014 Wrangler
MiG & Xeena(German Shepards)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
It seems you are using the word Inverter for two different functions.

The "Inverter" unit is probably an combo Inverter/Charger/Converter upper end unit which we all call the Inverter. The Invert function is switchable.

You probably control the functions from a remote panel. Turning on the Charger function or turning on the Inverter function are switchable options.

The Inverter function might power your AV accessories, microwave clock etc even though the house battery shut off switch is used. If that function was on, that is probably why you discharged the batteries.

My remote "Inverter" panel is always on with the house battery shut off, and recently showed 12.2V after three weeks in storage on a 440AH battery. But the Inverter function is not on during that time.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
That sounds a lot of water to add to brand new batteries. Were all the cells filled to the same height?

How high up the split ring did you fill your batteries.
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
When adding water to dead batteries, you should only add enough to cover the plates and then charge the batteries. After the batteries are fully charged, add enough water to bring the electrolyte to the proper level specified by the manufacturer. If you fill before charging, you'll likely have battery acid flowing out and making a hazardous mess. Electrolyte expands as its specific gravity increases through charging.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

batteries, house batteries