Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

House Batteries Not Charging

Hello everyone,

Im new here so not sure I'm asking for help in the right place, (please move post for me if I'm in the wrong place).

It seems I have a new problem (haven't even been on first trip yet!).

Noticed the "house batteries" (?) were dead today. They are brand new. So I figured I most of left something on. I started the gen (with a jumper pack on the house batteries).

I then kept checking the voltage at the batteries and it just kept declining. I started the coach and checked voltage and it would appear to be getting a charge that way.

I found the converter under the stove and read 13.8 vdc at the rear lugs.

The other clue/problem is the house 12vdc stuff only works when the gen is on. This is with 11+ volts at the batteries.

There is a switch for turning the house 12v on and off inside the door and i turned it on and off many times to no use. I can hear a relay clicking somewhere from up front when activating that switch.

I have owned it for about a month now and can say that every thing was working as expected before now.

When the gen is running the coach level monitor indicates batteries are full.

I can't find any blown fuses or tripped breakers (doesn't mean i found them all). Same for connections.

I just made reservations at the Grand Canyon! Hope you can help me get this sorted.

Thank you very much for your time and help with this matter.

Dean

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #2

What it sounds like is that the battery isolation relay is between the battery and the 12 V Converter output. That lets the 12 V system run off the converter but does not charge the batteries if the relay is open. That is a common way for things to be put together. I would check the voltage at the house battery. It should go up when the relay is closed to charge or run off battery.

IF the battery is too low, say below 10 volts or so it may cause the converter to shut down because the battery is drawing too much current. If that is the case charge with a different external charger until the battery comes back up above around 11 volts.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply nothermark,

Ive been on the winnebago site looking at the wiring diagram and can't seem to find the relay. Im not that good at reading them but can usually regonize a relay.

The only lead coming from the converter on that diagram goes to the fuse box above the micro wave (and ground to ground), I tried tracing all the wires from there out and still could not see any path for charging the batteries or a relay inline any where.

Is that the relay thats energized by the switch i mentioned? To turn on and off the house 12v?

Any ideas on how I should proceed with trouble shooting?

thank you
Old 07-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

Don't know if i can paste a link here or not but will try to post the one to the schematics.
Wiring Diagrams

2001 Sunrise 35c
Old 07-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #5

The converter probably goes to the fuse box. The battery probably goes to the relay then to the fuse box. I am not sure about your unit, depending on how they are connected to the fuse box there may, or may not, be a fuse in the path at the box.

Post your model and year and one of us will probably look at the linked schematic. The relay is usually physically close to the battery. Check the heavy cable or just check the voltage at the battery with the unit plugged into AC and not not plugged in and see what happens. That will tell us a lot.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #6

heres what i know in a nutshell....

The wire from the converter goes to the breaker box under the fridge.

The relay i hear clicking when operating the switch is the battery disconnect relay under hood drivers side.

With engine running i have 13v at the house batteries and 14v at the chassis battery. House batteries only 11v with engine off (not fully charged yet?).

No 12v house lights unless gen is on. This should imply something but I know not what.

What all does the disconnect relay do? Does it pass the converter 13.8v charge to the house batteries?

thanks for helping....Ill get my head around soon enough if you keep helping.

Dean
Old 07-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

Somewhere between the "front electrical box" and the disconnect relay "below the dash pod" is according to the schematic is a 40a fuse I can't find to check. Any one know where i Might find it?

I interpreted under dash pod to mean under dash on drivers side inside the coach. So thats where I looked as well as under the hood. Couldn't find it.

thanks
Old 07-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #8

I forgot to mention I can't plug in at present location.

The model is a Winnebago Sunrise 35c on a Workhorse Custom Chassis. VIN# indicates a 2000 while the title says 2001. I think they're the same?
Old 07-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #9

When running the gen the house 12v stuff works but the battery still reads low voltage. No gen, no house 12v.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #10

OK, starting the generator is the same as plugging in the AC. The idea is to get 120 VAC to the converter input. That supplies 12 VDC to the battery and house systems. The house battery is part of the converter load. This:

"No 12v house lights unless gen is on. This should imply something but I know not what."

implies that the converter is putting out nominal 12 VDC so it should supply your house systems and charge the house batteries through the house disconnect.

Given that, the issue is probably the relay between the house battery bank and the converter. Follow the heavy wire from the + post on the battery to find the correct relay and measure each big connection to ground. If they are not the same the relay is open. A quick bypass may be to move both heavy wires to the same terminal.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #11

ok, thanks

I have the house battery voltage at both sides of the relay, its closed. Now i really need to find that 40a fuse thats between the relay and converter.

Just for my information do you mind explaining this relay please. Normally closed if gen is off and open when on the gen/converter? Is the same wire used to charge the batteries from the converter that runs the house lights when gen/converter is off line. That would explain why if the 40a fuse is blown i lack both campabilitys.

I sure am hoping for a blown fuse....now to find it.

thank you
Old 07-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #12

The relay is usually a latching type that changes state open/closed each time the power is applied. The control is what is usually called the salesman's switch around here because the salesman can kill the battery drain without shutting all the other switches off.

If you have battery voltage on both sides it sounds closed. Assuming your converter is putting something else out the fuse sounds like the culprit. I'd start by looking at the fuses in the panel by the converter. 40 amp can be automotive size blade fuse or something else. Most likely it is by the relay or by the panel because it would be a PITA to put it somewhere else. OTOH I have seen some pretty weird stuff. ;-)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #13

thanks nothermark,

I mis spoke, the schematic calls for a 40a breaker under the dash pod (not a fuse, my bad), but i have yet to find anything.

Going to leave it for tonight.

Thank you very much for your help.

I will start looking for the breaker again tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #14

Feeling pretty silly here.....cant find the breaker "under the dash pod". 40a between disconnect relay and converter.

Any one know how to tell me to find it?

Thanks

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries