Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2016, 11:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Measure the voltages on all four connections. Post those here.

Well , I am getting more confused. That is probably necessary.

Voltages on the terminals of the solenoid.

Large terminals read identical. 13.24 which makes sense because the rv is plugged in. Small terminals both read zero. The solenoid does seem to be engaged though.

What has me confused? To the right of the solenoid there is another solenoid which I believe is the coach disconnect. The control panel only has a coach disconnect switch, no chassis disconnect switch. That solenoid has two big terminals. One reads 13.24. The other reads 12.24. I need to look more carefully tomorrow but it seems to me that coach power is run to both sides of the day bird solenoid. It is engaged but the two systems are not connected. Does that make any sense?

On top of that you can probably see in the pics above they the word "chassis" has been crossed out on the bird solenoid.

Like I said, more confused.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #16

Okay, here is a picture of what I am talking about. I have circled what I believe are the two large terminals on the coach disconnect solenoid. The top one reads 13.24. The bottom reads 12.24.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #17
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I can see the solenoid on the left much better now and it appears to be a "latching" solenoid and based on your voltage measurements on the large posts it is indeed on and working. The switch that controls this sends a temporary signal to engage or disengage it.

The buried solenoid to the right is NOT engaged or the two large posts would be exactly the same voltage if working properly. I believe I can see the small control terminals at the base of it.

Do the same voltage measurements on those small terminals.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #18
YC1

If you can follow the purple wire at the base of the solenoid on the right I suspect it goes to the BIRD control box. Purple seems to be a common color used for that purpose.
The small terminal with the black wire is likely a ground. If you know how to use the ohmeter it would take a couple of seconds to test but is not necessary.

If you get zero volts on both of the small terminals then have someone toggle the aux start button while you measure. If you find 12.5 volts or so on one and zero on the other the solenoid is bad.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:46 PM   #19

Okay. There are 12 volts on one of the small terminals of the solenoid on the right. The solenoid is open. Different voltages on the large terminals. So it doesn't work.

Also, determined clearly that the larger solenoid on the left functions only as the coach disconnect switch. It is designed to be the isolator solenoid according to the info bflinn posted from intellitec. Weird. The smaller solenoid is wired to be the isolator. It does not work.

No label on it. I guess I will have to pull it to figure out what it is.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #20
YC1

The one that IS working is often referred to as the Salesman Switch solenoid. They cut off most of the power in the coach but not all.

Disconnect your batteries negative terminals if you don't have mastery switches in the battery compartment. Even doing so it is important to use a voltmeter to make sure the power is off before removing that solenoid. Those heavy wires around there can handle enough power to burn the house down.

You can temporarily bypass that solenoid with a jumper or combine wires.

Tags
batteries, charging, chassis, house batteries