Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

House batteries not charging off 110 - help!

Hi all, new forum member and new RV'er here

I purchased "Mo" a few weeks ago, Mo is a 1993 Winnebago Brave 27 ft. When I bought it the house batteries were dead, I replaced with 2 new deep cycle Interstate batteries. I have the RV plugged in to my house on 110 extension cord. Everything in the coach works as expected off the 110 (microwave, frig, outlets, etc).
Tonight I went out and the house batteries are almost dead, not enough juice to fire the generator up and the lights are very dim.

According to everything I am reading in the owners manual (as worthless as it is) says the house batteries should be charging off my shore power??

I have taken it on 2 trips, one plugged in at a campground and one trip in the boondocks running off the generator when needed. Both trips the RV worked flawlessly.

Any ideas on why the new batteries aren't charging?

The dash switch "Mon - dual" was set on Mon, the previous owner said he always kept it in that position. Would that prevent the batteries from charging on 110?

I'd appreciate any help I could get, supposed to take it out this weekend and we will be in the boondocks at a race again.
Thanks in advance!

PS - yes, I double checked the battery cables, they are all tight!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Did you fail to hook up a wire when changing the batteries? The charger is usually associated with the Inverterer/Converter which could be disabled or just not hooked up.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi snowdog and

I'm not familiar with your vintage of coach so I'll refrain from guessing but some experts should be along shortly. If you don't get much response here you might consider posting the question in our Winnebago Specific forum.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #4

The plot thickens

The monitor panel showed battery level at one light (0-9) earlier.

I switched the MON-Dual switch to Dual, let the RV engine run for about 20 minutes while I registered and made that post on here, then I went back outside to turn RV off. Now the monitor panel shows full charge, interior lights are full bright and the batteries immediately started the generator. I guess I should be happy, but I'm really confused now!!

I can't imagine that the engine and 110 extension cord could have fully charged the batteries that fast
Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
Did you fail to hook up a wire when changing the batteries? The charger is usually associated with the Inverterer/Converter which could be disabled or just not hooked up.
I only found the 2 wires for the engine battery with an unused amplifier wire connected. The 2 house batteries are wired in parallel as they should be. I didn't find any stray wires or other wires in the battery box under the entry step.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #6

And 45 minutes later I'm back to showing 0-9 volts, dim lights and not enough juice to turn over generator.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ksnowdog, It will be very difficult to diagnose any electrical concerns without a volt meter. You can buy a cheap digital volt meter (DVOM) just about anywhere you can buy tools, probably 10 bucks or less. It will be an essential item for your RV tool box.
With a volt meter handy you can start checking voltage at the house batteries. If the batteries are fully charged you should see appx 12.7 volts when rested, down to 11.9 volts or less when batteries are discharged. When on shore power the converter should be suppling power to the house batteries regardless of battery state of charge. Usually you will see about 13.2 to 13.7 volts at the batteries if the converter is working.

By activating the dual switch (battery booster) you are combining the engine start battery with the house batteries, this will surface charge your house batteries temporarily, but should not be the source of your problem.

Do you have a battery cut off/disconnect switch?
It may be causing the house batteries to be disconnected from the coach. The batteries will not charge if it is turned off.

Do you know where your voltage converter is located in the RV?
I once had a similar problem and found the two 30 amp fuses blown at the converter fuse panel.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Before you placed your new batteries in coach were they fully charged by a 12V battery charger? If not your converter will take to long to get them up where they should be for full charge.
If your reading a display with voltage readings its from the converter.
When your driving your coach the Alternator will charge your house batteries if your set up for it.

Winnebago has Diagrams & Manuals in this link that may help you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Do you know where your voltage converter is located in the RV?
I once had a similar problem and found the two 30 amp fuses blown at the converter fuse panel.

That was exactly my problem

Checked volts at batteries while hooked to the house and was at 8'ish, replaced fuse (after a trip to 3 gas stations, 2 24hr pharmacies, a Target and finally Walmart to find fuses at this time of night) and everything is back to normal.

Hopefully it wont blow out again but at least I have a full set of extra fuses now, lol!
Thanks everyone for the help
Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksnowdog View Post
That was exactly my problem

Checked volts at batteries while hooked to the house and was at 8'ish, replaced fuse (after a trip to 3 gas stations, 2 24hr pharmacies, a Target and finally Walmart to find fuses at this time of night) and everything is back to normal.

Hopefully it wont blow out again but at least I have a full set of extra fuses now, lol!
Thanks everyone for the help
Great, glad you found the problem.
It is possible the fuses could blow again while trying to charge up your fully discharged battery bank. I would suggest removing the batteries and using a battery charger to bring the state of charge back to normal (appx 12.7 volts) then reinstall the batteries. Try not to discharge your batteries repeatedly below 11.9-12.0 volts as this will cause premature failure.
Good luck and have fun!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote