Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

House batteries not charging when driving what could be wrong

The batteries in the house part of the motor home will not charge when driving but will charge when plugged in 2000 Adventure
davegerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegerr View Post
The batteries in the house part of the motor home will not charge when driving but will charge when plugged in 2000 Adventure
Well Sir,
The first thing you need to do is, find out what kind of charging system you have, for both systems, while the engine is running. You see, there are a few different models and types out there. Take mine for instance. The coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. On the dash is a switch called the "Auxiliary Start or, Battery Boost" (I can't remember whish it's called".

But, that switch, leads to a solenoid located in the left rear of the coach, in the shore power compartment. When you push on that momentary switch, it engages a very large solenoid that, links both sets of batteries, house and chassis, together, to start the engine, should the chassis batteries be too low in voltage to start that CAT.

But, that solenoid, has dual duty in this coach. You see, when the engine is started and, running, there is an alternate wire attached to that solenoid that engages it. When that happens, the charging from the alternator is directed at not only the chassis batteries but, also the house batteries.

So, that's how my system works. So, like stated, you just need to find out if your house and chassis battery charging system FROM THE ENGINE, not shore power, is similar to mine. This way you'll know how it's SUPPOSED TO WORK. Then, if you find out it's the same, this will allow you to analyze what section of the system is broke down and, why you're not getting a charge to the house batteries

Contrary to popular belief by some, about 99.999999999999% of the coaches made, gas or diesel, A or C or? in the last few decades, charge both sets of batteries while motoring down the road. There are a few different link-up methods for linking both sets together but, in the end, both sets get charged while driving.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davegerr View Post
It would be helpful if you could provide the complete info on your coach--chassis (Workhorse or Ford) and specific model of 2000 Adventurer (32V, 35B, 35U, 37G). That way we can reference and/or point your towards the specific wiring diagrams, etc. that match your coach.

As FIRE UP indicated, there should be a momentary AUX-START switch on the left hand side of your instrument panel. The 'battery boost' solenoid (on the left) and the coach battery disconnect relay (on the right) should be behind a panel inside of the batteries under the entry steps. If everything is working properly when the engine is running that solenoid should be activated and the coach and chassis batteries should be connected together, allowing the engine alternator to charge the coach batteries. Depressing the AUX-START switch should activate the solenoid whether or not the engine is running.

Can you tell if the batteries are charging with the engine running if you hold down the AUX-START switch (coach battery voltage should rise to match the alternator output)? If no, you probably have a bad solenoid and it should be replaced. If yes, the solenoid would appear to be OK but the 'run only power' wire going to the AUX-START switch would appear to be a problem.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:55 PM   #4

I went through this. In my case it was the continuous duty solenoid that is activated when tooling down the road connecting house bats to charging system.

I learned the standard duty ones tend to fail after some years.

Mine was a Cole Hersee. I replaced it with equivalent rating from same mfr, but paid the bucks for the silver-alloy contacts version.

I believe I learned about the typical failure of the standard copper contact versions, and the availability of bulletproof, low stress to the driver, silver-alloy versions right here on IRV2, so props to the gang.

Don't know how well versed you are with your battery control center on your coach. One of the difficulties with copper contact solenoids is the failure isn't necessarily catastrophic. In other words, you might check it with a meter and think it's ok, but the contacts are not carrying current for nothing. Good luck.

My coin is on your solenoid controlled by the battery control center or equivalent. It's the mechanical wear part in that process.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
removed due to post in error.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #6

House batteries

Thank you for the help I have found that I have a fuse that was blown when replaced just blows again do not know what this fuse controls can not find anything in the book about this fuse panel guest I will have to visit RV dealer for repairs Thank you for all the help Dave
davegerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries