Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
You all can not prove any of your claims. Some of your claim may have a faint validity if you are doing a lot of boon docking.
I am glad to be one of the many forum members that try to help original posters. In this particular thread there have been very informative replies and pics to help the OP. None of us would be the better if we fired sniper rounds at those trying to help others. (Yes, I have done a lot of boondocking .... on occasion 6 months at a time without shore power)

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #16

the general consent is to go with 6v true deep cycle batteries which provide more juice, easy to install/haul and last longer. needless to say the top gun is t-105. however, if your space is limited, or you just like 12v's, there are some available out there. below is my setup. 3 x 12v deep cycle ones by trojan providing 675ah,

Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #17

Quote:
You all can not prove any of your claims. Some of your claim may have a faint validity if you are doing a lot of boon docking. However, you can go with any battery if your use of the coach is average. That is, you drive a few days and then set for months plugged onto the grid. Your battery requirements are almost zero while driving and while plugged in. In fact you do not even need a battery during those periods. Most battery failures are from no maintenance or faulting charging equipment. In boon docking you have to be using your coach off the battery and only charging it a few hours per day and in between you using the coach to live in. Even in this example you would have to do this a lot during the year and not just week ends at the race track.
[ moderator edit ]Which claims can we not prove? Oh yeah... All of them, that seems like a reasonable statement and doesn't in any way invalidate everything you say after that ::sarcasm::
Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's knock off the personal comments. It's not allowed here. Our #1 rule is " be nice ". I have edited some posts.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorchini View Post
I have dual 12v batteries now, was thinking about switching out to a couple 6v batteries, I keep hearing how much longer they last putting a couple of those. Anyone have any experience here? thanks in advance.
Our aged Winnie came with 2x 12 volt Trojan Batteries connected in parallel, and couldn't ask for anything better!!

As avid boondockers, we really stress our batteries to their absoute limits! Typically, we boondock 66% of the time, and we drive our batteries to absolute exhaustion. Our original 12 volt Trojans were still offering 50% capacity after 10 years.

The only reason we changed them at the 10 year point, was a precaution for our winter boondocking/camping where battery capacity is down to 50% of normal during sub-freezing temperatures. Add that, the lights come on at 5pm, and the TV and furnace suck up 10 amps each, it's a bit of a challenge to get through a sub-zero night with less that optimum battery power.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am not proud of one of my previous post. Let's try it again.

The claims which say the 6v, true deep cycle, or similar issues are better really do not account for how the RV will be used. These type of claims may have validity if you are doing a lot of boon docking. However, you can go with any battery if your use of the coach is average. That is, you drive a few days and then set for months plugged onto the grid. Your battery requirements are almost zero while driving and while plugged in. In fact you do not even need a battery during those periods. As far as life is concerned, most battery failures are from no maintenance or faulting charging equipment. In boon docking you have to be using your coach off the battery and only charging it a few hours per day and in between you are using the coach to live in. Even in this example you would have to do this a lot during the year and not just week ends at the race track to justify the more costly batteries.

As for the true deep cycle issue, in my opinion the difference between these batteries has narrowed due to cost cutting and manufacturing technology. The Trojan style battery is not longer the same battery compared to the others as it was 10 years ago. You also often do not get a fresh battery when are buys from a retailer whose stock is slow to rotate. Only a dissection of the various batteries will show if there is any real difference between Trolling and a RV deep cycle battery.

Also note that one previous post has had 12v batteries for 10 years and say one could not ask for anything more.

I hope this has given the OP a more balanced view of the battery world.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #21

Please specify exactly how a trojan T105 is not the same battery as it was 10 years ago. Weight and measure is exactly the same...so are they substitution something else for the lead they used to use?

It is correct that more batteries are murdered then die a natural death. That does not justify buying a less capable battery unless one plans the murder.

Why would one by a 12V starting battery when for the same price a true deep cycle is available?

When off grid...you get more amp hours to 50% discharged from a deep cycle than a stater or dual purpose battery. This applies equally to 12V true deep cycles like the Deka's as it does to 6V golf cart batteries. There is NO advantage to a 6V deep cycle over a 12V true deep cycle...indeed I prefer dual 12V to Dual 6V because a single battery failure does not leave you without usable power.
That said...at present...because of Sams and Costco which do not carry true 12V deep cycles...the 6V deep cycle is the best bang for the buck whenever your existing coach batteries need replacement.
Treated in the SAME manner as standard 12V batteries...they will outperform and outlast them due to the thicker plates and ruggedized construction of the case and separator grid.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
Pics
Who makes the fill caps you used?
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #23

The big plus to two 6 volt batteries in series is there is no "weak cell" phenomenon like putting 2 12 volt batteries in parallel. I have never figured out why the engine start batteries on every big engine RV I've seen are two tiny group 24 car batteries in parallel. The plates are tiny, there is a self discharge tendency from the parallel connection - there may be a reason I'm not aware of but I'd put in one beefy 4D 12 volt or two beefier 6 volt batteries for engine start. Does anyone know why they are all manufactured this way?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #24

Lots of great information here, thanks for all the feedback. appreciated!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cam... I would never suggest a starting battery for rv coach service. I am currently very happy with a set of Interstate deep cycle batteries. Also, all manufacturers have updated their product lines to stay competitive. The Trojans I had in a new 2002 coach are not offered by Trojan today. And the new ones look different.

There is nothing incorrect in the facts sited. However, not everyone needs the high level of excellence in batteries because of the way they use their RVs.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Who makes the fill caps you used?
Those are not fill caps but the standard caps that came with the batteries bought at Cosco. By the way the 6 volt batteries were under $90 each before sales tax. Most group 31 12 volt batteries that I priced were over $100 each.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Cam... I would never suggest a starting battery for rv coach service. I am currently very happy with a set of Interstate deep cycle batteries. Also, all manufacturers have updated their product lines to stay competitive. The Trojans I had in a new 2002 coach are not offered by Trojan today. And the new ones look different.

There is nothing incorrect in the facts sited. However, not everyone needs the high level of excellence in batteries because of the way they use their RVs.
I will completely agree with you in the way that you stated it there. For us (and probably a lot of other RV'ers) you don't even need two batteries. One deep cycle cheapo from Wal-Mart would do us completely fine the way we typically camp. We have a pair of OLD beat-down interstate GC6's now and they still do what we need which is mostly run the water pump when the engine is off at a rest stop or something.

When we go on a trip up the East coast this summer, we will get two of the Sam's club GC6's and see how they do.

I will say though that even if the capacity and deep cycle ability were exactly the same, PeterFTH is completely right that there is the load balancing advantage to having the batteries in series as opposed to parallel.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will not say they last longer.. Only that the most common six volt (GC-2 Golf Car battery) is a true DEEP CYCLE and can take a bit more abuse (State of charge wise) than the more common Marine/Deep cycle.

Also, due to something called the economy of scale (They make a whole LOT of GC-2's compared to any other size) they are cheaper per unit.

THus they give you the best BANG for your BUCK

And unless your existing 12 volt are Group 31 or larger,, They hold more amp-hours too.

Tags
batteries, house batteries