Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

House batteries - swapping in 6v batts

I have dual 12v batteries now, was thinking about switching out to a couple 6v batteries, I keep hearing how much longer they last putting a couple of those. Anyone have any experience here? thanks in advance.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #2

I have 4 trojan 105 hooked in parallel. Negative to positive. Makes 6 volt 12 volt and doubles the power. You can also google connecting 6 volt batteries.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
I have 4 trojan 105 hooked in parallel. Negative to positive. Makes 6 volt 12 volt and doubles the power. You can also google connecting 6 volt batteries.
We know what you mean, but it isn't what you said. You have 4 6V batteries hooked in series-parallel. Two strings of, series connected 6V batteries, connected in parallel.

Connecting the 6V batteries together in series does increase the total voltage to 12v.

Connecting the strings together in parallel does increase the power (amp hours available).
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #4

Generally 6v. batteries work better in deep cycle applications. Also, you get the most amp hours for the same amount of space used. That is why you find so many folks (myself included) using 6v. golf cart batteries for their house power. If your vented compartment was built to snuggly fit two 12v house batts it may not be quite enough room for four 6v. batts in the same footprint. I did that very conversion in my last MH and there was exactly enough space for the four Trojan T105 batts.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #5

Sorry, Sometimes I do not explain what I am trying to say very clearly.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Generally 6v. batteries work better in deep cycle applications. Also, you get the most amp hours for the same amount of space used. That is why you find so many folks (myself included) using 6v. golf cart batteries for their house power. If your vented compartment was built to snuggly fit two 12v house batts it may not be quite enough room for four 6v. batts in the same footprint. I did that very conversion in my last MH and there was exactly enough space for the four Trojan T105 batts.
My battery tray would only hold 3 group 31 batteries. After carefully measuring I found that 4 golf cart would fit if I increased the width approximately 1". After assuring I had clearance of 1/2" per side and enough additional height for the 4 each 6 volt golf cart batteries I altered the slide out tray. I split the tray and added a 1/4"X1"X14" support bars to the front and back under the pull out lips. I then slotted the 8 hold down square carriage bolt holes used to secure the tray to the chassis. This allowed the 1/2 " per side additional width hold down carriage bolts to line up with the chassis holes. In order to assure the proper width of the tray when transferring the 4 holes in each of the support bars I made a spacer the width of the inside of the tray, clamped it then transferred (drilled) the 4 bolt holes. I'll post pics in the following post. The additional aluminum angle iron at bottom is so a nylon strap hold down can be added.
In the pics the support bar is black.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0501.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	54983   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0502.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	54984  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0503.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	54985  
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #8

Nice install Charlie!

For the OP...here's the actual diagram for 2 6V batteries to be hooked up to make one large (around 225amp hour) 12V battery.

and here it is comparing 4 12V & switching to 4 6V in series/parallel
Old 01-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #9

Here is a great video on doing the upgrade to 6 volt batteries.

safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
[ moderator edit ]

My experience is that the difference in alternate brands and voltages is not worth the expense and effort to change. If your system is working the Walmart type deep cycle battery will last past the warranty period and if a cost per year calculation is made your battery cost will be less with Walmart battery. Also of significance, if the battery should need to be replaced, you can return to any Walmart store which are always near by in the States. Try that with a Trojan. On the negative side, a charging system with is not functioning adequately will ruin any brand of battery. The answer to that is to learn about your system and how it is performing and correct any deficiency. If you need to obtain help in this effort, use the money you saved on the WM battery to offset that cost.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #11

Targa...6V's True DEEP CYCLE are also sold at Sams and Costco and are quite cost competitive with their 12V counterparts and enjoy the same warranty privileges.
Trojans are better....but not necessarily better cost per amp hour delivered over lifetime. This is the real test of battery value. I think most folks would be well served by the 6V Sams Club specials.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #12

If your 12v bank is in need of replacement, I would consider it a no-brainer to go to a pair of GC6 6volt batteries. If the 12v bank is fine, are you looking for more capacity? The GC6 batteries are true deep cycle and will give you more capacity but not massive amounts more than a pair of 12v "Semi-deep cycle" batteries.

It will be time for new batteries this summer and I will be replacing our 2 Interstate GC6s with the Sam's Club specials!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
You all can not prove any of your claims. Some of your claim may have a faint validity if you are doing a lot of boon docking. However, you can go with any battery if your use of the coach is average. That is, you drive a few days and then set for months plugged onto the grid. Your battery requirements are almost zero while driving and while plugged in. In fact you do not even need a battery during those periods. Most battery failures are from no maintenance or faulting charging equipment. In boon docking you have to be using your coach off the battery and only charging it a few hours per day and in between you using the coach to live in. Even in this example you would have to do this a lot during the year and not just week ends at the race track.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
You all can not prove any of your claims. Some of your claim may have a faint validity if you are doing a lot of boon docking. However, you can go with any battery if your use of the coach is average. That is, you drive a few days and then set for months plugged onto the grid. Your battery requirements are almost zero while driving and while plugged in. In fact you do not even need a battery during those periods. Most battery failures are from no maintenance or faulting charging equipment. In boon docking you have to be using your coach off the battery and only charging it a few hours per day and in between you using the coach to live in. Even in this example you would have to do this a lot during the year and not just week ends at the race track.
Is somebody on trial here? It's just people's opinions, lighten up on your wording!
CAT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries