RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #1

House battery charging

Hi all, Iíve just recently joined this forum and am in need of direction. I have a new to us diesel pusher and the house batteries are low. I turned on the generator to charge as shore power isnít a option and ran it for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs it barely moved on the test panel. Am I being inpatient or to I need to set something on the inverter/ charger panel?

Bootis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
It would help if you told us your make, year and model of your coach.

JCP

pameridan04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootis View Post
Hi all, Iíve just recently joined this forum and am in need of direction. I have a new to us diesel pusher and the house batteries are low. I turned on the generator to charge as shore power isnít a option and ran it for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs it barely moved on the test panel. Am I being inpatient or to I need to set something on the inverter/ charger panel?
Well Bootis,
First off, it would be really nice if you also posted:
Make/model/year/chassis/engine etc.
The reason is, even diesel pushers in different models are made differently. So, to get a more accurate answer, all this info would help. For instance, in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, the 2000 watt Inverter/Charger handles all the charging, both shore and generator powered, of the house AND, the chassis batteries (I made that change). The charger side of that inverter is designed for three stages of charging. Bulk, absorb and float. There are no other components involved in shore/gen powered charging.

But, that's our coach and, many other Winne's and Itasca's in the diesel lineup. But, as stated, they're not all built the same. So, it's hard to point you in a direction as to start investigating without more info.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:11 PM   #4

Sorry guys, Its a 2007 Holiday Rambler Neptune XL 34’ diesel pusher
Bootis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #5

Still need more information.
What type batteries & how many or better yet the total AH ratting for your set.
Model of charger or it's ratings.

Here is a little to chew on "IF" and this is an example:
You had a 4 battery set with a total rating of 460AH and they were very low say 20% left. You need to 368 AH. If the charger put out 100 amps it would take 3.68 hours to charge it but wait there is some inefficiency so add 20% or another 74 AH or for a total time of 4.42 hours.
Note the charger will likely step back as the batteries charge so more time is needed.

So you can see in my example a couple hours will not get it done.

You need to charge the batteries until the current is down in the single digits, it could take 6 hours.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:45 AM   #6

You also need to see if the batteries are the type that need water added. If they are, check and add water until up to the split ring in each cell.

Dry batteries won't charge.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
BootisFirst off, welcome to iRV2!

Second, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

On the house battery charging issue: According to the brochure (link here), your coach came with a 60A converter, or an optional 2000W inverter and two extra house batteries (four, total). Your post says "inverter/charger," but it would be nice to answer these questions just to confirm that for us:

1) Does your coach have a converter or an inverter? (Start by looking in the electrical bay)

2) What are the make and model of the converter or inverter?

3) How many house batteries does it have?

4) Do the house batteries charge when the coach is plugged into shore power?

Here is a link to a recent post with some 2007 Monaco Cayman diagrams. I believe the Cayman and Neptune are "twins."

Here are two pages, extracted from a diagram set for a 2004 Neptune. The systems they show may be similar to what you have in your coach. Or not.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #8

House battery charging

i did check the water levels and they were fine and there is 4 batteries for the house side and i want to say 2 for the engine, i will need to get back to the motor home this weekend to get the inverter/converter info.
Also thanks for the diagrams as well
I'll get back with more info as i get it
Cheers,
Old 09-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

All the above extra info would be helpful, but regardless of the answers I think you are being impatient. The biggest charger simply cannot pour amps back into batteries really fast - the batteries have physical limits on how many amps they will accept. If the batteries are really low, say 10v, and there are 4 of them, it's going to take 3-4 hours to get them up to maybe 80%, and several more to get to 100%. Maybe a lot more if the charger is on the small side.

Furthermore, if the batteries are low on water or have corroded connections, charging will be even slower and maybe almost zero.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging