Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #1

House Battery Life

I told the DW that I believed our house battery's were not holding a charge and may need to be replaced. We installed hydro caps on this set of battery's and I believe that they are 6 years old.

I'm wondering what kind of battery life others are getting.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
I told the DW that I believed our house battery's were not holding a charge and may need to be replaced. We installed hydro caps on this set of battery's and I believe that they are 6 years old.

I'm wondering what kind of battery life others are getting.
While I have gotten more than 6 years out of batteries before, I would say that 6 years is darn good and likely it's time for new batts.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #3

Just replaced mine with Trojans T105's at 7 years.

Not sure what hydro caps are, but if they are the watering system that goes into each cell with a single feed tube the place where I bought my batteries recommended not to use that system. He told me that some of the tubes can clog resulting in under-filling some cells. I have just water mine manually, but interestingly the caps on the Trojans seem to keep the water in as I have not needed to add anywhere near what I did with my prior Interstates. Not sure if that is because they are new or their cap design.

Note that I have never used that watering system, only passing on what I was told from the golf cart dealer where I bought my batteries.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got 10 years out of a set of Interstate U-2200's in our last rig. With the present rig, bought used in 2015 I'm on my second set. Original set was AGM and at least one was bulging. Due to circumstances we wern't going to need batteries at all. To compound the problem I ordered the wrong batteries. Got 4-8D starting batteries rather than deep cycles. Replaced them last month with 8D Lifelines. I'm 71, late wife died 2 yrs ago so I'm figuring the batteries will last till I have to hang up the keys.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Just replaced mine with Trojans T105's at 7 years.

Not sure what hydro caps are, but if they are the watering system that goes into each cell with a single feed tube the place where I bought my batteries recommended not to use that system. He told me that some of the tubes can clog resulting in under-filling some cells. I have just water mine manually, but interestingly the caps on the Trojans seem to keep the water in as I have not needed to add anywhere near what I did with my prior Interstates. Not sure if that is because they are new or their cap design.

Note that I have never used that watering system, only passing on what I was told from the golf cart dealer where I bought my batteries.
hydro caps are single caps that plug into each cell and when gassing occurs during charging, turn the gas back into liquid that trickles back in the cell, prevents the dreaded low acid level in batterys. Used them on my sail boat with great results. On the motorhome we have to add very little water.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #6

I just replaced my batteries which were 4 1/2 years old, but this was due to my inattenative in my maintenance routine. Lesson learned for the new set.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I got 10 years out of a set of Interstate U-2200's in our last rig. With the present rig, bought used in 2015 I'm on my second set. Original set was AGM and at least one was bulging. Due to circumstances we wern't going to need batteries at all. To compound the problem I ordered the wrong batteries. Got 4-8D starting batteries rather than deep cycles. Replaced them last month with 8D Lifelines. I'm 71, late wife died 2 yrs ago so I'm figuring the batteries will last till I have to hang up the keys.
Sorry you lost your wife.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Batteries likely fail through lack of maintenance or too many discharge cycles for that specific battery, not age.

So each owner may get a different life from the house batteries.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
hydro caps are single caps that plug into each cell and when gassing occurs during charging, turn the gas back into liquid that trickles back in the cell, prevents the dreaded low acid level in batterys. Used them on my sail boat with great results. On the motorhome we have to add very little water.
Thanks. I actually had those in my Interstates, but decided to see how the new Trojan cap did prior to re-installing in the Trojans. To date I haven't seen the need to use them as the batteries have been very good on losing water.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:47 AM   #10

There are many factors that will contribute to a batteries life . The type of battery , the number of cycles and depth of discharge, the recharge time from when they were discharged , the temperature of the battery, (batteries last longer in cooler climates) , general maintenance (watering and cleaning) , float charge voltage and storage time.
At 6 yrs, your batteries are reaching the end of their life. An average lifespan can be between 4 to 10 yrs.
Hydro caps work great and reduce watering down to once or twice a yr.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Batteries last as long as batteries last. Depends on use and charge cycles. Too many other things to worry about. I use a 5 year rule on batteries, if they hickup at 5 years or more I replace. But I've not had a no start or cold night because of batteries. I use this rule for all my rigs and never sit anywhere when I want to go.

LEN
Old 07-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just replaced a set of USA2200 batteries that were not a year old. I was told they were as good as the Dekas I was replacing which were 6 years old.
Because of the situation in regards to those batteries no warranty was going to be given.
Under the circumstances the owner of the company gave me a fresh set of Trojan T105’s
The original Trojans lasted 7 years, the Dekas lasted 5
I have a roof top solar panel for charging plus I turn off the master switches.
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery