Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
House battery replacement

I need to replace the current 6v batteries and have purchased two 12v's. Will there be an issue with the converter or will there be any other unknown anomalies I should be aware of. Thanks in advance for any response I may receive. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #2

Just remember to connect the 12v batteries in parallel, not series like the 6v are. You should also connect the positive from one battery to house, and the negative from the other battery to chassis ground.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardk View Post
Just remember to connect the 12v batteries in parallel, not series like the 6v are. You should also connect the positive from one battery to house, and the negative from the other battery to chassis ground.
Pictures would help illustrate this very important connection.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #4

Smile Thanks

Appreciate your response! I believe I can do that. I will find a diagram to make sure on the proper sequence.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #5

My batteries are too dirty for a picture do do much good. (besides I have 3 in parallel, and that might confuse things).A parallel connection is connecting the positive connection from one battery to the positive connection of the second battery. Same goes for the neutral. Then connect the positive from one battery to house, then the negative from the other battery to ground. This is CRUCIAL, If you wire it wrong, you could be sending 24 volts to the house, a very expensive mistake. Do the battery connections first, then the positive to house, followed by negative to ground.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #6

No worries

Thanks Richard, i found a good YouTube video that describes the connections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=9g1xLnFsob0
Old 05-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #7

Photo of completed project

Thanks to all of those that gave me advise on the 6v Too 12v house battery replacement. Went from serial on 6v set up to Parallel 12v connection as described by those on this forum.

Project complete and working well. I have attached a picture of the completed project.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	64093  
Old 05-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From your photo, it looks like you used Ever Start from Wal-Mart. These are starting batteries not true deep cycle batteries. You will loose a lot of reserve and life by not using the 6 volt golf cart batteries.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #9

i used 12v deep cycle batteries when i replaced my 6 volt ones. Maintainence free. who wants to worry about fluid levels? Cheaper, easier to get and you always have a spare for the engine in a pinch!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #10

i added mineral oil to each port, after 6 months, the level is still the same. IMO it's just as good as those "maintenance free".
Old 05-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #11

Maintenance Free Batteries are fine - unless you live in the desert or very dry climates where temps are high and humidity gets into the single digits (like today). Liquid cell batteries have a small vent hole (or more than one based on size) - so pressure inside the battery can equalize to altitude changes when going up and down hills, atmospheric changes due to weather fronts and temperature changes. That means the electrolyte can still evaporate - slowly - but because they are "sealed" you can not replace the loss. Learned this from experience - Had maintenance free batteries when we lived in Massachusetts (DieHard) - learned a lesson when we moved to Arizona... Now I don't buy a battery unless I can add distilled\demineralized water.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's see. you are replacing 2 12 volt batteries with 2 12 volt batteries, Will there be any problems...

Just one possible problem. The new batteries are most likely smaller than the old ones (Total amp hour capacity) and thus the converter MAY want to charge them too fast.. This can result in one of two things.

The most likely is slower charging cause the converter THINKS it should go int absorption mode earlier than it should.

The other options is too rapid a charge will shorten battery life.

Ther is one more possible outcome too: Converter already proper size.

Best advice: See what happens.

OH. I said 2 12 volt batteries were replaced .. You thought you had 4 six volt.. Here is what you REALLY had v/s what you have now

What you had:
-{Bat}T{ery}+12V
-{Bat}T{ery}+12V

What you now have
-{Battery}+12V
-{Battery}+12V

As I said 2 12 volt replaced by 2 12 volt
Old 05-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #13

OP has not said what kind of 12v batts he purchased. presumably his old 4x6v were trojan t-105 @225ah; if he bought 2x12v trojan j185h-ac @225ah, and connected them correctly, he has not changed anything yet. 2 former in series is identical as 1 latter (theoretically).

Tags
battery, replace, replacement