Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2015, 11:13 PM   #15

Carolina Campers
House Battery Replacement Advice

It may be that you had the same issue I did once.

There is a breaker in the battery bay. Follow the cables and they are probably connected to it. It is sometimes hard to see it, in fact mine is on the frame of the coach and I had to find it by feel, versus sight.

It is a toggle type breaker that has probably flipped. The breaker has a toggle switch that is along the side of the breaker that just needs to be reset. Your batteries will not charge if that breaker is flipped.

Mine got flipped due to a problem I had with my jacks getting stuck and it put too much of a draw on the house batteries.

Hope that helps.

Ted

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #16

If you happen to be coming through SE AZ, I just replaced six wet cell 6 volt batteries with Lifelines for more reserve for dry camping. The wet cells are 2 1/2 years old. If you want to delay a major expense of replacing yours with new, I am selling all six for $200 which is about core charge. They are charged and load test fine. Just a thought.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #17

If you looking to buy... Check these out... 10% off till end of year... Free shipping and maybe no sales tax...

V6-225 6Volts 225AH Deep Cycle, High performance AGM Battery.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
It may be that you had the same issue I did once.

There is a breaker in the battery bay. Follow the cables and they are probably connected to it. It is sometimes hard to see it, in fact mine is on the frame of the coach and I had to find it by feel, versus sight.

It is a toggle type breaker that has probably flipped. The breaker has a toggle switch that is along the side of the breaker that just needs to be reset. Your batteries will not charge if that breaker is flipped.

Mine got flipped due to a problem I had with my jacks getting stuck and it put too much of a draw on the house batteries.

Hope that helps.

Ted
Ted what kind of coach do you have?

I have a 300 amp fuse on the positive coach battery lead. Would the breaker be on the output of the charger? Most of my battery related stuff is under the bed. I wonder if there is a breaker there.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update

Update. I charged the bad house battery and got it to show borderline bad (very weak). It is definitely time to replace the bank. The inverter/charger has settings for wet, gel1,gel2, and AGM. There are instructions for checking and changing the mode in the manual, but it doesn't really work like the manual says (or at least I couldn't get it to work that way). Finally, I figured out how to check the mode and it turns out it was on Wet mode (I have a bank of AGMs). So now I have changed the mode to AGM, but I believe the damage is done.

Incidentally, the batteries were installed by a local RV shop that did all the maintenance for the PO. I have found numerous problems with their work (I have the receipts). I am using a different shop now.

So now that I can control the charging mode, I guess I am going to try KRumm's suggestion. I can get these for $900 for a bank of four. They seem to be well regarded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
If you looking to buy... Check these out... 10% off till end of year... Free shipping and maybe no sales tax...

V6-225 6Volts 225AH Deep Cycle, High performance AGM Battery.
They are slightly smaller than the GC2s, so they should have no problems fitting in the same space. I'll make sure they are well tied down.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Monty
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #20

Did not believe the mystery breaker story. If you close enough to pickup Atbatt.com has the best prices anywhere!
Old 12-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Three plus years is about half the life of normal AGM batteries. Check your charger, make sure it is working correctly.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, advice, battery, replace, replacement