RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #1

House Battery Replacement - Duracell GC2-AGM

House Battery Replacement - Duracell GC2-AGM:

We have a 2012 Allegro Bus 43QGP which was built with six Interstate 6-volt GC2-HD-UT house batteries. Have any of you Tiffin owners replaced your house batteries using the Duracell AGM 6-Volt GC2 battery that is available at Sam's Club for about $180 each? This seems to be a good price for an AGM (no adding water) type battery.

Just wondering if anyone has had first hand experience with these (Duracell AGM 6-Volt GC2) as house battery replacements?

If I go through the expense/process to replace my house batteries, I really would like to replace them with AGM type batteries so I don't have to bother with adding water or cleaning up the corrosion every 6 months.

See attached picture of the Duracell AGM 6-Volt GC2 battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8415.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	245745  

AlleBus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #2

I had the wet gray premium that were 115 from Sam's . I and my family abused them terribly for 7 years on my TT They still had more juice than a pair 2yr old of group 29 deep cyc. I went a through a bunch Of those in 25yrs.
It's said they are all made by Penn battery.
My Sams did not have those last month or online only a pic.
I'm not sure you get will twice the life of the $90 ones . But less work more durable .

153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #3

I purchased 8 of the AGM GC2 batteries from Sam's about a year ago. So far so good.
I previously had flooded batteries , so I cleaned up the battery compartment and tray real good/ I then put on 2 coats of POR15. After a year, all is well and the battery compartment looks great. The Duracell batteries are made in USA by East Penn. You will also meed to change the settings on your charger to accommodate the AGM charge rates/times.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #4

I have been using them since 2015. So far so good.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #5

Strange... those in the picture have caps like a normal lead acid battery. But why?
Carlos Marti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #6

What kind of changes need to be made and if not possible with current converter. Would a converter change be needed? What is the advantage over flooded. Just asking because I don't know what they are.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
What kind of changes need to be made and if not possible with current converter. Would a converter change be needed? What is the advantage over flooded. Just asking because I don't know what they are.
The main advantage to me is no outgassing, so no corrosion in the battery compartment, plus they are essentially maintenance free... no need to check/add water. I have a Magnum inverter/charger and it has multiple settings.... flooded,optima and other AGM. That impacts charge parameters.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #8

Just make sure you check the amp-hours rated for the batteries. The Duracell AGM's I looked at, at our local Sam's Club had lower AH rating than our flooded cell batteries. I ended up getting other AGM batteries because of that.

Ed
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #9

From memory, they should be rated at 190AH's(?). Great price point for GC2's 6V Deep Cycle AGM's... So the 12 month warranty is not too much of a concern at that price point.

Good luck with them!
Smitty
Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry, no experience with those. Saw that you are new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #11

Ther are no AMG GC batts listed online for my local stores. But all auto batts are 20$ off too bad I just bought 2 for my truck there a month ago.
The biggest auto batts are more powerful than. The commercial gp.31
Three times that warranty.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
The main advantage to me is no outgassing, so no corrosion in the battery compartment, plus they are essentially maintenance free... no need to check/add water. I have a Magnum inverter/charger and it has multiple settings.... flooded,optima and other AGM. That impacts charge parameters.
6 years with the old fashioned batteries and never yet had to clean the terminals. Might top up the cells 1x per year. Hardly an effort. Got to justify the extra cost somehow I guess.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Headington View Post
Just make sure you check the amp-hours rated for the batteries. The Duracell AGM's I looked at, at our local Sam's Club had lower AH rating than our flooded cell batteries. I ended up getting other AGM batteries because of that.

Ed
Yes but you can safely discharge to 50% DOD, I can safely discharge to 20% charge with the AGM's that gives me more usable amp hours per charge.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
6 years with the old fashioned batteries and never yet had to clean the terminals. Might top up the cells 1x per year. Hardly an effort. Got to justify the extra cost somehow I guess.
I cant answer for others but mine are not accessible to add water where they are mounted so that, the no off gassing and the ability to discharge deeper giving me more usable capacity justify's it for me.

Tags
ace, battery, replace, replacement