Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #1

Smile house batterys not be maintained

Hi, I am hoping I can get a little help. I have a 2000 newmar kountry star diesel pusher. this weekend while camping and being hooked up to shore power I noticed that the house batteries were not being charged.while driving home the batteries were charging at13.7volts and were fully charged when we returned home. I have a Iota 55 amp,13.4v converter /charger. I have checked the b.i.r.d and battery disconnect solenoid which are all working properly. My question is there are two wires that come off converter(10guage), they go to a breaker and then disappear down the inside of motorhome. does anyone know where they would go to. I have put a meter on conveerr when pluggeg into shore power and the output in never 13v. 12.84 was the best I could get. I just want to make sure I don't have a problem down the line before buying a new converter. I don't think I do as they charged back up while driving. Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long post.
bigmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
If you disconnect the charger from the batteries, do you see any output from the charger? You should see the 13.4, or a little better. If not, put a small load directly on the charger. Some have float circuitry that do not "see" an open load, and so do not respond to being completely disconnected. A small load, such as a bulb, will make the charger think it is trying to charge a low battery. If still no, or low output, it may need servicing....IMHO....
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It really sounds like the converter is shot. The wires from the converter eventually should arrive at the Battery Control Center (BCC). This powers all the 12v systems and charges the batteries. You of course want to look at those initial breakers.

Take a volt meter and check voltage out of the converter. If it's not 13.5+v, then it's not functioning properly, especially if it's in the 12v range.

At it's age and because it's a single stage charger, it's probably time to upgrade anyway. I would recommend a Progressive Dynamics 9260. An automatic 3 stage charger with automatic Equalization mode and a remote controller/monitor. Shopping around should be had for $150.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two wires,, One is most likely a ground and goes to the chassis, likely at the main 12 volt distribution panel.

The other is the Hot lead, and also goes to the main 12 volt distribution panel.

However in both cases there are options.

First, on the negative lead. No reson it can not be attached to the chassis rail as close to the converter as possible.. Several reasons it should be but hey that would be too simple (Cost less and weigh less too).

On the hot (Positive) lead. in addition to the 12 volt distribution panel, it might go to the disconnect switch (eitehr side but house side is most likely) or the batteries themselves.

Just remember there is a most logical place to run it based on the layout of the RV's power systems.

For example..

IN my coach the converter is in the far rear driver's side.. The main 12 volt panel about half way to the front, middle of coach, the disconnect switch front and driver's side, and the batteries passenger side under steps.

Thus the most logical place for the wire to go is the 12 volt fuse panel (Distribution panel)

Which means... That is the last place I'd expect to see the other end of the wire.

Good luck on tracing yours
Old 08-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
my problem sound like that what it was is i have a gfi that keeps going off when its fine the batteries are fine when its off i read what u got
Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #6

First, while plugged into shore power check to see if the outlet the converter is plugged into has 110 volts AC. If yes, move onto the fuses protecting the converters output. Are they good? If no 11o at the plug find out why no 110. Another poster suggested looking for a popped GFI outlet. Check breaker and related 110 wiring and finally, trace out the wiring between battery and converter and between battery negative and ground. Clean well to be sure all connections are good.
Is this a new problem? If yes, it's quite possible the converter is dead. They do fail from time to time. If the outlet the converter is plugged into is good and the output of the converter is battery voltage the converter sounds like it died. Output voltage of a good converter depending on battery voltage should be somewhere between 13.5 volts and 14.6 volts.
I do not know how your coach is wired but in most cases the + side of the converter is wired to either the 12 volt fuse panel or directly to the + side of the batteries.There is either a fuse or a 12 volt circuit breaker between loads and battery. Remember that all + side wires are 1 large circuit between battery,+12 volt fuse panel, converter, and loads. It matters not how they all are interconnected, just so long as they all are at the same potential. Grounds too, all the same applies.
Good luck, and keep us posted as to what you find.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
you might post this in the newmar forum, to get some more specific info?

But if the converter has 115vac coming in and never more than 12.8 coming out, itis not charging your batteries and it's probably shot.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I think this may also be a battery problem.. I would take the batteries down to be tested to be sure they can be charged first. I hope this helps..