Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

house elec problems

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3870.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	12739

Name:	DSCN3871.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	12740

Name:	DSCN3872.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	12741

I have this setup in my motorhome. Attached are the pictures of the switch system. It runs the house fine when hooked up to elec. with the supply cord. When running on the generator it only runs the back half of the house. When running on the generator the top switch in the picture has juice coming in and going out. The bottom switch has juice coming in but nothing coming out unless i push down on the points in the middle of the switch. Also when im hooked up to the plug only the bottom switch is getting juice in and out but everything in the motorhome is working. Can you help me on this and tell me what i need for parts to fix my problem.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
David Camarra
davidcamarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The top switch is probably only used to power the second air conditioner (probably the front one) from the 20amp feed from the generator. It appears that the bottom switch is not activating, as it should close when the generator is running. Have you checked both the circuit breakers on the end of your generator. They may be out of sight around the right end. Flip (and reset) both those breakers.

It would help to know thew type and model of your rig.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #3

Circuit breakers are fine. The generator is putting out 120 fine. As i said it runs the rear of the house fine. The rear air works when the generator is running.
The coach is a 33 foot hurricane motorhome with a onan generator. One thing i didnt say in the first thread. When on generator the swith on the wall used for the front or rear air doesnt do anything when the generator is running but works fine when the motorhome is pluged in. Its like the front of the motorhome is dead when on generator.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #4

Just so you know what i mean by the front of the motorhome being dead. The microwave doesnt work and i have a metter pluged into an outlet by the couch and it reads nothing when running on generator.
Thanks
Daved
Old 08-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
It sounds like there is a problem with the contacts on the second switch. I would suggest removing ALL power from the unit and inspecting the contacts on the second switch. There is probably some pitting on them or they need cleaning. All of this assume the coil on the second switch is being energized, check that first.
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #6

Pand K
If you mean check to see if there is juice going to the switch the answer is yes. Its going in just not coming out. When i push the contacts by hand the front of the motorhome gets power.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

That "switch" is a solenoid relay - it is electrically operated. Either it isn't receiving the signal that activates it, or the solenoid isn't pulling the "Switch" closed. I see a little circuit board in there too - that may have failed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote