Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #1

House power question

So my rig has only 2 batteries I assume starting and house power thing is when I connect just the 1st battery I get house power to with out the second one installed is that normal ? I see the switch for emergency starting on dash but that's just a momentary style switch
Arricejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #2

You likely have an isolator so the house battery doesn't drain the chassis battery while camped. The emergency button bypasses the isolator and when pressed would use the house battery to start the engine. Which battery you are calling 1st battery I don't know.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #3

Considering in the way that it goes in one battery goes in first and then another battery goes in front of that one the one in front I'm calling the starter battery so how is that isolator thing work is it something that's automatic
Old 09-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arricejr View Post
Considering in the way that it goes in one battery goes in first and then another battery goes in front of that one the one in front I'm calling the starter battery so how is that isolator thing work is it something that's automatic
Automatic - In a way yes, the isolator keeps the two batteries on their own 12V circuit, one for the chassis and one for the house battery. The only time they connect is when you push the Emergency Start button on the dash. The isolator then connects the two circuits. That gives you temporary access to all the battery power you have on board to start your coach if need be.
widmerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #5

So again back to my first question should the the houselights be working if only one battery is in and how can I tell if it's working properly
Old 09-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
So again back to my first question should the the houselights be working if only one battery is in and how can I tell if it's working properly
Well... If only one battery is in and it is powering your coach you should not be able to start your MH. You should have two positive cables for each battery and they usually connect from the battery directly to the isolator. You can follow the positive cables and see how they hook up. Hope that helps.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
The problem is that you don't which battery you connected to what.

If you connected to the main engine (chassis) battery, there is no reason you will get lights inside.

If you did connect the battery to the house circuit and still have nothing, there is the chance that the battery you connected is already dead.

Do you have a meter handy?

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #8

When I put the one battery in I can start the coach and I have house power lights
Old 09-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
The problem is that you don't which battery you connected to what.

If you connected to the main engine (chassis) battery, there is no reason you will get lights inside.

If you did connect the battery to the house circuit and still have nothing, there is the chance that the battery you connected is already dead.

Do you have a meter handy?

Frank

Yes I do have a meter and I'm not having an issue with the battery being dead it's just odd to me that I only have one battery in and I can start the coach and I have power inside I was going to add another battery in place of the one that was gone and I'm trying to figure out is there a reason to even do it
Old 09-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes I do have a meter and I'm not having an issue with the battery being dead it's just odd to me that I only have one battery in and I can start the coach and I have power inside I was going to add another battery in place of the one that was gone and I'm trying to figure out is there a reason to even do it

Also the battery is new
Old 09-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #11

Arrice,

We are now down to a unit specific, but completely understandable question.

Just because the unit is setup for two batteries does not mean it needs both. This would be very understandable if it is a smaller coach. I may be that you really have only a single bank that happens to be two 12V jars strapped together.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
Arrice,

We are now down to a unit specific, but completely understandable question.

Just because the unit is setup for two batteries does not mean it needs both. This would be very understandable if it is a smaller coach. I may be that you really have only a single bank that happens to be two 12V jars strapped together.

Frank
YES BUT - Why would he have an Emergency Start switch on the dash, maybe someone has removed or bypassed the isolator??
Old 09-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #13

Sounds like most of the confusion is due to , lack of info as to the AGE of the RV and maybe some pictures of the existing wiring cable connections would help.
Class A, Overland and Deere Chassis ( is all we know ) , possible 20+ year old RV with any number of electrical modifications over the years , this is going to take some figuring out.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Sounds like most of the confusion is due to , lack of info as to the AGE of the RV and maybe some pictures of the existing wiring cable connections would help.
Class A, Overland and Deere Chassis ( is all we know ) , possible 20+ year old RV with any number of electrical modifications over the years , this is going to take some figuring out.
I must have missed the post where the make/model/year of coach we're talking about was listed. That info would sure be helpful.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power