Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
House Water Pump Overheating

I just bought my 1995 Winnebago . The previous owner told me he put in a new pump . As i've been going thru everything ive noticed that that the water pump will run for about 3 or 4 min with the shower or one of the sinks running, then shut off. the light is still on saying its on but the pump wont run until it cools down and then its good for another 3 or 4 min. I checked the voltage going to the pump and its right over 12 volts when the pump is off but when its running its down to about 9 volts. Any ideas what is wrong... apparently the pump was nos off of ebay..well that's what he just told me now

demon1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 03:11 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
What gauge wire is feeding the pump and what is the amperage draw on the pump installed? If the conductor is too small you can have a voltage drop and that will cause the pump motor to overheat or you could have a bad pump. Temporarily install a larger gauge wire from a fuse or circuit breaker on the battery bank to the pump and re-test. Let us know what you find.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:10 AM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My OEM 3.5gpm pump drew less than 9 amps while running. I upgraded to a 5.5gpm pump right away. 3 pumps later I am back to the OEM. The higher rated pumps can draw upwards of 14amps at full open. This drops the voltage and stresses the wires, controller, and pump. Surprisingly the OEM has acceptable flow and pressure. We know what we know but we still do what we do.....
04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 03 Honda CRV/2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, 7 Group 31 Optima AGMs, 2000watt PSW inverter
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #4
Does the pump shut down when the faucet is still open?
2000 MADP 4093
mlr1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
A reduction in voltage reading while running is ordinary. Check to see if the pump is the correct size for your rig. If you are getting good water flow when taking a shower, it is probably a correct size. Sounds more like a bad motor. Changing a pump is a very easy and not expensive fix.
Bob & Joan Alexander, 2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH, 2013 Jeep Wrangler (toad)
Lobo & Juniper (woof, woof)
FreedomDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
My guess would be similar to others.....the wiring is undersized. If it's a ShurFlo, they had constant issues with certain models that got hot and failed early on.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:26 AM   #7
The wireing is the stock wireing.. I don't know if this is the same size pump as stock but there are only one set of mounting holes. I pulled the pump out and stuck a hose on it and ran it for about a half hour with the water just spraying out and it was fine with no back pressure . when I run it in the rv it really seals to big down .if I run more then 1 sink and the shower it's better
Old 10-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #8
Originally Posted by mlr1951 View Post
Does the pump shut down when the faucet is still open?
Yes it does..it will turn back on by itself after it cools
Old 10-07-2015, 03:51 AM   #9
It is a sureflo pump
Old 10-07-2015, 05:11 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

The detective work (see below) turned up nothing directly helpful on overheating.

My personal experience is that the water pump gets warm, but not hot enough to trip the thermal overload. However, even when showering we tend to run the pump only for a couple minutes at a time.

Does your pump motor get "adequate ventilation?" (per page 1 of the manual)

1) Winnebago parts catalog for your 1995 Brave:
Exploded water parts diagram, page 51 of the PDF
Winnebago part number 098607-01-000
Unhappily, no ShurFlo part number listed of the pump assembly as a whole

2) Winnebago Parts and Accessories Catalog:
Water pumps pages 112 and 113
Winnebago part number page 113 is 160702-01-000
Perhaps you should call Winnebago, tell them about the overheating and ask them about the specs and options for a replacement pump (as they do list a part number in their catalog)

3) ShurFlo makes/made at least 3 models with similar pump heads
Visual comparison with pictures on this page
Can't see a model with a solid baseplate there, though
Is a model on Amazon, but no idea if it would match the original
A dead end

4) Replacement, on eBay and WinnebagoParts.com:
For Winnebago part numbers 098607-01-000 and 160702-01-000
Recommended replacement on these sites appears to be ShurFlo Revolution 4008 pump
See Amazon
What's in your coach now should look like that (guessing that was what was purchased by previous owner)
If not, the rest of what I write is invalid!
If you want to know the difference between an "-E65" and an "-F65" model of the Revolution, read this iRV2 thread

5) Shurflow 4008 Web page:
Has link to the manual under "Installation/Replacement" tab
Interesting stuff in there (for instance, concerning coaches with the Intellitec pump controller) (and for wiring sizes)
"Troubleshooting" section not much help with overheating, though

6) ShurFlo Revolution 4008 bypass adjustment:
Probably not causing overheating, but perhaps helpful on its own
In manual (above)
Also some discussion on this site

7) Pump cooling fins:
Install a "heat sink cover" for ShurFlo pumps
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:18 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

On second reading of the manual ("Operation" section) and your testing that the pump runs fine when free-flowing, "bogs down" when one faucet open, but "better with two," it makes me think that some fiddling with the bypass option may actually reduce the back pressure and make the pump run cooler.

I haven't noodled that idea all the way through but my gut reaction is that the pump is working too hard at the shower's flow rate.

If you fiddle, make sure you write down the original setting for the bypass adjustment screw.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
Thank you so much.. I was thinking that the pressure switch might need adjusted as well.

water, water pump, heating, heat