Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #1

Household toilet??

Has anyone installed a "Household Toilet"in a Class "A" M/H? Your experience and thoughts welcome!!
I had a 38 Ft'r 5th wheel I had installed a household toilet in a few years ago, and camping it worked out great. I installed a ceramic built-in tank, with 1 1/2 gal flush. It worked great, but now I have a class "A" M/H, and would kind of like to do the same. As the RV toilet that is there now, the flapper is broken and the flap does not return, so I will have to repair, or install another brand or a househld depending on your responses.
Thanks for all info you are providing, as I will be full time it for awhile, and need to know the in's & outs of this project.
Happy Motoring, drive safe!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb6epp View Post
Has anyone installed a "Household Toilet"in a Class "A" M/H? Your experience and thoughts welcome!!
I had a 38 Ft'r 5th wheel I had installed a household toilet in a few years ago, and camping it worked out great. I installed a ceramic built-in tank, with 1 1/2 gal flush. It worked great, but now I have a class "A" M/H, and would kind of like to do the same. As the RV toilet that is there now, the flapper is broken and the flap does not return, so I will have to repair, or install another brand or a househld depending on your responses.
Thanks for all info you are providing, as I will be full time it for awhile, and need to know the in's & outs of this project.
I can see three problems. Water sloshing from tank when traveling. water sloshing from bowl when traveling. and filling up the holding tank much faster.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #3

I did not have that problem in the 5er. As always, when leaving the camp ground, I had a security list that got checked off to secure before leaving. The toilet had a shut off valve, and the toilet was flushed leaving enough water in the "P" trap that contained the scent. Only one time did I Boo-Boo, and it was minimal. I don't believe the 1 1/2 gal flush is going to use up all the fresh water unless a laxative is taken.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I did not have that problem in the 5er. As always, when leaving the camp ground, I had a security list that got checked off to secure before leaving. The toilet had a shut off valve, and the toilet was flushed leaving enough water in the "P" trap that contained the scent. Only one time did I Boo-Boo, and it was minimal. I don't believe the 1 1/2 gal flush is going to use up all the fresh water unless a laxative is taken.
Sounds like you have your mind made up, already. I really don't see any advantage to using a household toilet and a lot of negatives.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #5

Higher water usage and sloshing would be the negatives in my mind. Otherwise, I don't see any reason you couldn't do it.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #6

Sure, it will/would work fine! However, there's a reason it's not normally done.

Ed
Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #7

I thought about this same thing as well. Probably not the best plan for somebody doing a lot of dry camping, but others, maybe not so bad?

Re: the hi water usage, some of the newer valves have a 2 position flush built in to them. It doesn't need to use the entire 1.5 gal. to flush? Only when #2?

Dealing with the tank slosh would be my problem. Using it on the road is something the lady does frequently.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Why, what are the advantages?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #9

At present, the lady of the house does not like the feel of the toilet that is in it, so I am "open" to all commits. Yes I did it sucessfully in a 5th wheel, but now I am in a class "A", and that is why I am asking the experenceed. Is there a replacement that can be recommended?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #10

wb6epp~ do you plan on drycamping? if so you will loose 1 1/2 gallons of your fresh water supply every time you flush, and you will fill up your holding tank alot sooner.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #11

They do make hi rise toilets. That is probably her complaint. Too low.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Concerning the current rv toilet -- I found a solution for the flap that doesn't close properly in an rv newsletter. Lemon Pledge applied weekly after a good cleaning. The oils in the furniture polish keep the rubber gasket cleaner and closing fully. Any oily substance will probably work, but the Pledge has a better smell than most.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #13

I thought about doing the same thing but mainly for the height.
The downside to me was the added check to make sure the toilet was ready for the road. If your always at a full hookup you should be fine on water usage and storage but obviously when you don't have that available you could be challenged. Lastly while we are on the road my passengers want to use the toilet while rolling down the highway.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #14

Thanks to all for thier commits, and I do see your points regarding water useage. I hope to find a different "RV toilet" than what is there now. So will keep investigating, as I plan on the full timing, and yes, do some boon-docking along the way as well.
Thanks again all
Happy motoring, drive safely!!
ron