Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
Is that answer from a news paper publisher
Thanks
It was printed in a newspaper; the advice was provided by a retired California Highway Patrol officer.
PCarnathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCarnathan View Post
It was printed in a newspaper; the advice was provided by a retired California Highway Patrol officer.
That's the problem. He was RETIRED! Ask a current active duty CHP. It's ok if you are not towing, within the speed limit and have 2 or more people on board.
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanso View Post
That's the problem. He was RETIRED! Ask a current active duty CHP. It's ok if you are not towing, within the speed limit and have 2 or more people on board.
Yeah, okay. I'll just tell the cop. "Some guy on the Internet said it was all right!" I assume you'll pay my ticket?
PCarnathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCarnathan View Post
Yeah, okay. I'll just tell the cop. "Some guy on the Internet said it was all right!" I assume you'll pay my ticket?
A ticket requires that the officer cites a section of the CVC that you violated. Show me the CVC that makes it a violation. No such animal.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:01 AM   #61

Many troopers/highway patrol avoid stopping large RV's for HOV violation related to occupancy due largely not knowing whether or not there is indeed only (1) occupant. Quite embarrassing stopping one only to find out the entire family glaring down on you

Other fish to catch. From retired cop.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
Many troopers/highway patrol avoid stopping large RV's for HOV violation related to occupancy due largely not knowing whether or not there is indeed only (1) occupant. Quite embarrassing stopping one only to find out the entire family glaring down on you

Other fish to catch. From retired cop.
Especially true for us. My wife is scared to ride up front so she always sits in the back. CHP needs to show cause anyway before pulling you over, not just pull you over to count heads.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #63

This is what I'm talking about. These signs are all over our freeways. Seems pretty clear to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180618_104142~2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	209012  
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:08 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
This is what I'm talking about. These signs are all over our freeways. Seems pretty clear to me.
Those signs ARE obvious, and should be adhered to by all! Except for City Buses, which routinely use them, so apparently the signs aren't as clear cut as they seem aren't they?

That said, I would not travel with my RV in lanes marked as in the pic, BUT the HOV lanes, specifically in Nashville, don't have those signs . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #65

Is that sign by an HOV lane? Doesn't look like it. Technically my RV is a bus. It's a Bluebird bus chassis.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekethomas View Post
So far I have used HOV lanes in California, Arizona and Texas. We have met the requirements of 2+ and so we use. I dont go 60 MPH in CA as you might get run over, but drive the speed limit (+5 usually) and just keep going.

No issues with Class A in HOV ... if you have 2+ inside... (4 legged animals dont count.. )
In California if you're towing a toad, your speed limit is 55 and you are required to travel in the right lane. I would think that would preclude you from using the HOV lane.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
In California if you're towing a toad, your speed limit is 55 and you are required to travel in the right lane. I would think that would preclude you from using the HOV lane.

Agree about 55 (although no one seems to do it). Where do you get the right lane requirement? I have not seen that.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Agree about 55 (although no one seems to do it). Where do you get the right lane requirement? I have not seen that.
ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664] ( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) Whenever the Department of Transportation or local authorities with respect to highways under their respective jurisdictions determines upon the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that the designation of a specific lane or lanes for the travel of vehicles required to travel at reduced speeds would facilitate the safe and orderly movement of traffic, the department or local authority may designate a specific lane or lanes for the travel of vehicles which are subject to the provisions of Section 22406 and shall erect signs at reasonable intervals giving notice thereof.

(b) Any trailer bus, except as provided in Section 21655.5, and any vehicle subject to the provisions of Section 22406 shall be driven in the lane or lanes designated pursuant to subdivision (a) whenever signs have been erected giving notice of that designation. Except as otherwise provided in this subdivision, when a specific lane or lanes have not been so designated, any of those vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right edge or curb. If, however, a specific lane or lanes have not been designated on a divided highway having four or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, any of those vehicles may also be driven in the lane to the immediate left of that right-hand lane, unless otherwise prohibited under this code. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, the driver shall use either the designated lane, the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane, or the right-hand lane for traffic as permitted under this code.

This subdivision does not apply to a driver who is preparing for a left- or right-hand turn or who is entering into or exiting from a highway or to a driver who must necessarily drive in a lane other than the right-hand lane to continue on his or her intended route.

(Amended by Stats. 1988, Ch. 843, Sec. 4.)

That's a very long winded way of saying you have to stay in the right lane, except that you may use the second lane to pass slower vehicles.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:23 AM   #69

Not legal in CA. CA limits vehicles with trailers to the right lane. It can use one lane to the left of the right lane to pass another vehicle but then must return to the right lane to travel. Many truckers and other cars pulling trailers travel in the 2nd to the right lane to avoid the ramp traffic but its technically illegal.
So, trailers could not move into the HOV lanes anywhere in CA.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:27 AM   #70

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanso View Post
Is that sign by an HOV lane? Doesn't look like it. Technically my RV is a bus. It's a Bluebird bus chassis.
The double white lines to the right indicate something is unique about the lane with a strong possibility of a HOV configuration.

Personally I'll hang in the slower lanes. Not in that much of a hurry to get anywhere and so far, except once in DC , I've been able to time my metro area excursions to avoid heavy traffic.

Tags
class a