Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #15

Just noticed, the slide topper cover was installed to roll out from the bottom of the roller, not the top, this is a trap for water and other debris.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it sure looks like it's feeding out from below, not on top.

EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #16

Yes, you are correct. It needs further inspection. It is possible someone installed it the wrong way around. Assuming the springs inside the roller are ok, and are the originals, not something the previous owner "fixed up", it is reasonably easy to remove,investigate why, and possibly turn around (end for end). One other thing I forgot to mention in my other reply was to check if the lift pump has been replaced, I'm assuming the engine is a Cummins 5.9 ISB, they are known to fail, and shortly after failure will take out the VP44 high pressure pump, which will be expensive.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #17

I would venture to guess that's an optical illusion. If it's like mine the fabric is stretched tight on the roller, and staked to stay in place. In use, the center part of the fabric shrinks a couple inches - causing it to appear like the one in the pic.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #18

Just an idea for future resale. I was able to finance my 2000 I bought recently through a credit union. They are a bit more relaxed about that. So you could direct any future possible buyers to a credit union for financing.

Thanks for that. Home equity lines of credit are popular up here as well. 3-1/2 percent right now.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #19

Hold the phone! Happened across this rig last night. 4 hours drive from home. Listed for $3000 more but has only 17600 miles on it. Oh boy. Not sure of it's exact condition yet but looks extremely clean, never lived in. We'll see?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like mine. But there are things to look out for.

Check the Drivers side of the engine, under the turbo, for signs of coolant leakage on the side of the engine. A small percentage of the ISBs had major problems and the fix for this could be considerable. I would pass if I saw signs of this leakage. Don't let them convince you it is a hose. Just pass it.

Take it out on the road and make sure the MD3060 is shifting smoothly. If the previous owner used Dexron VI by accident instead of Dexron III or Transynd then you could have tranny damage. If it shifts bad pass it up.

These older rigs are built great and I will be keeping mine for a long time. You can expect 10-12 MPG towing 5000lb at 62mph.

Get the Carfax report before buying!!!
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #21

What greystroke said x2. Check underneath the engine and see if its a 53 block. Thats the leak he was referring to. I owned the same coach for 3 years. Great fuel mileage. A bit light in crosswinds and marginal power when towing in the western US. I personaly hated the red dash gauges.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #22

I just traded one almost identical to that one. At first glance i thought the price might be a couple thousand too high but if it as clean as those pics then probably not.

Very nice machine
Old 05-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #23

Red face

This is getting a little more interesting. I spoke with a friend of mine this morning who we drag race with about inspecting this rv. He runs a large shop locally that does heavy truck and rv inspections and repair. It turns out he serviced this rig regularly and knows the owner (now widowed) as a personal friend. He offered to call her tuesday and suggesting taking it off the consignment lot. As i mentioned earlier, i had the dealer down to 37k without much bartering. Im wondering two things now, what her commitment is with the dealer and how much this potentially drops the price without the middle man? I'll see how it goes?
Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #24

I think it's beautiful. Good engine, the Cummins is absolutely a better engine than the Caterpillar. It has a 6 speed Allison instead of the 5 speed. It is a heftier Tranny than the 5-speed. Holiday Rambler is actually a poor man's Monoco. The only big difference between the two is the chassis. The Monoco is built on a Roadmaster chassis, and the Holiday Rambler is buili on a Raised rail Frieghtliner custom chassis. It is a good MH. It seems to have just about everything in it for very comfortable RVing. 95,000 miles is still well below the break in milage for a Cummins. Cummins says 115,000 miles is the point at which the engine is finally broken in.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine has the Freightliner XC Chassis.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #26

Mine is a 2001 8 bag Roadmaster chassis.